The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Need Help from Electricians

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16
    You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar

Need Help from Electricians

I've had this issue for about 1 year now and now I want to resolve this issue here, hopefully. This is the problem, about 1 year ago the following things went out at once.

-Wiper control switch- just have one speed which is the last one when you push it all the way down. Nothing else works on that switch.

-No High Beams
    -Cant squirt windshield fluid, when you pull it, nothing happens.
    -No parking lights when I turn the switch to parking lights but they come on with the headlights
    -Cooling Fans don't come on

I tried the following, I took the switches out and installed them in my 02 that works and to my surprise the switches worked, so it's not that. I also cleaned all ground points and nothing. What is going on. I've been trying to get this issue fixed forever but nobody knows what to tell me. This is my last try before i take it to the dealer. On my 02 when you turn to parking lights, it makes a click sound under the hood, mine doesn't. I have also replaced all the relays and things in the fuse box.
    Last edited by RAZ_76; 05-26-2008 at 01:17 PM

Sounds like a wiring issue up to the relay. If you hear it switch on your 02 and not your 99. But let me pull out the service manual...

EDIT:

Well, first off its two issues one with the cooling fans and one with the washer squirters, headlights, and parklights.

Based on what the service manual tells me for each of the problems (aside from the cooling fans) it hints at the following.

Windshield washer motor malfunction.
    Column switch malfunction.
    Front-ECU malfunction.
    Damaged wire, connectors, or wire harness.

Based on your description and troubleshooting already done I'm lead to a wiring issue.
    Last edited by RedGalant2k1; 05-26-2008 at 06:33 PM

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Sounds like a wiring issue up to the relay. If you hear it switch on your 02 and not your 99. But let me pull out the service manual...

EDIT:

Well, first off its two issues one with the cooling fans and one with the washer squirters, headlights, and parklights.

Based on what the service manual tells me for each of the problems (aside from the cooling fans) it hints at the following.

Windshield washer motor malfunction.
    Column switch malfunction.
    Front-ECU malfunction.
    Damaged wire, connectors, or wire harness.

Based on your description and troubleshooting already done I'm lead to a wiring issue.
    Replaced windshield Washer Motor
    Replaced column switch
    Replaced Front ECU
    I checked all the grounds and also replaced wire harness.

I appreciate the help dude, I guess I will keep on looking but I do not see any visible damage to any wires.

for the parking lights, when u try to turn them on, do the interior lights come on or do they stay off until you turn on the headlights?

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Nothing happens dude, no lights on the dashboard. They come on when i turn headlights on though. All these issues went out at once, thats why I think this is all related but I canot figure out what the hell it is.

what about the etacs ecu?

Which one is that??

the front ecu is the one in the engine bay fuse box.

the etacs ecu is the one in the cabin fuse box.

Swapped the front ECU and all the relays. Inside the cabin I swapped the harness that goes from one side to the other, left to right fender and the fuse box with everything in it from the other galant that I tested before I did the swap and worked, that is why I'm so confused. I just don't know what else to do to it. I'm about to just yank all the wiring out of my daily, front to rear and just spend one day swapping it all. That should do it but I really don't want to do that if I don't have to but i will if that's what is left for me to get this issue fixed. Thanks for your help, by the way dude.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Ray the ETACS ECU is that green box under the dash, to the left of the brake pedal. You know that junction block where the SRS computer plugs into and the harness from the passenger side and dash plugds into, the ETACS ECU is that green box covering it. I know for certain tho that 99-01 harness and ETACS are different from the 02-03 ETACS, so be careful. Once you change the harness/ETACS you will have to either go to the dealer or get your hands on a really good OBDII scanner to clear the SRS light.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    Are you having problems on the car that has JDM lights and all? Sounds like you might have a power grounded or incorrect wiring. or maybe a wire that is bare in an inconspicuous spot that is grounding. I'd say it's definitely a wireing, fuse issue. The click on the 02 is a fuse box switch getting power. Any mods done behind the dash or gauge faces?

When did the issue first start, and was it soon after you changed something?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ice View Post
    Are you having problems on the car that has JDM lights and all? Sounds like you might have a power grounded or incorrect wiring. or maybe a wire that is bare in an inconspicuous spot that is grounding. I'd say it's definitely a wireing, fuse issue. The click on the 02 is a fuse box switch getting power. Any mods done behind the dash or gauge faces?

When did the issue first start, and was it soon after you changed something?
    No dude. This issues started about a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    Ray the ETACS ECU is that green box under the dash, to the left of the brake pedal. You know that junction block where the SRS computer plugs into and the harness from the passenger side and dash plugds into, the ETACS ECU is that green box covering it. I know for certain tho that 99-01 harness and ETACS are different from the 02-03 ETACS, so be careful. Once you change the harness/ETACS you will have to either go to the dealer or get your hands on a really good OBDII scanner to clear the SRS light.
    I used the harness from this 01 I bought for parts. You are talking about the green box that is connected on the back of the fuse box?? If it is, I replaced the entire fuse box, green box included. Looks like I'm swapping all electrical wiring. One question, the 01 Galant I have, has ABS, sunroof and is CAli spec instead of fed like mine is. Would that make a difference except the CO2 sensors??

leak in washer hoses? bro had it on his beemer so i thought id throw that out there..

Car doesn't leak anywhere dude or anything.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    I used the harness from this 01 I bought for parts. You are talking about the green box that is connected on the back of the fuse box?? If it is, I replaced the entire fuse box, green box included. Looks like I'm swapping all electrical wiring. One question, the 01 Galant I have, has ABS, sunroof and is CAli spec instead of fed like mine is. Would that make a difference except the CO2 sensors??
    If the parts car has a bunch of stuff like ABS, sunroof, etc but the car you need to run correctly doesnt have you should be OK, if it were vise versa, you'd be screwed.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS