The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: stock box vs. aftermarket intake

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 38 of 38
    honestly....
    the truth is...
    to hydrolock your car you'd have to be WOT into a lake.
    or some serious flooding.

And if you were to approach such a scenario..... i'd hope you have enough sense not to drive into said body of water.

cause you know whats worse than sucking lake ontario into your engine?
    having your shoes wet cause your entire cabin is filled with water up to your door speakers.

aside from that... this thread is NOT about the benifits of CAI v Short ram.

its about stock box V intake.

so please make your responses relevant, unless the original poster asks for this information.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

the only thing about the stock box is that the actual intake tube that goes from the TB to the box itself is very restrictive.

I would go with a trusted aftermarket intake or a custom one with a K&N just because it would be less restrictive.

Or you could, still keep the box, and mod it. like make a custom box like the ARC boxes with your stock box and put a K&N drop in in it.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

stock intakes are very quiet and restricitve. aftermarket intakes give your car that growl sound, and allow more colder(with a cai) air to be pulled into the engine.

stock:: restricive - quiet - slow throtte response

short ram intake:: fast tb response - less resrticive -- air is warm -- med growl

cold air intake:: med tb response -- less restricive -- deep growl -- cold air = more hp

ram air intake:: med tb response -- less restricitve -- deep growl -- allows more air to be forced in (speeds of 40+)

i know this isnt my thread, but does the CAI give your car a more noticiable tone, even wihtout a muffler?

Quote Originally Posted by 8g-rider View Post
    i know this isnt my thread, but does the CAI give your car a more noticiable tone, even wihtout a muffler?
    definately. I have a completely stock exhaust with a short ram intake and there is a definate difference in tone when I hit the powerband

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    right now rocking the OEM airbox....need to be able to satisfy the police when i get rolled, stock airbox looks good to them....i would love to modify it, maybe open it up underneath, so it looks good from up to but allows more airflow to the filter underneath
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

yesterday i put my OEM airbox (was a short ram), and i feel really different the car, i notice the car have better response, smooth, and faster,

only my opinion

-Mitsubishi Galant LS 1994 a/t [ SOLD ]

Quote Originally Posted by murphyx1209 View Post
    definately. I have a completely stock exhaust with a short ram intake and there is a definate difference in tone when I hit the powerband
    hey thanks, i just ordered an intake, its all i can afford rite now, it was 50 bucks, im hoping it will give me some positive differences

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    . I drove thru some heavy rain, so heavy that my wipers on full blast were not cutting it and my car ran just fine.
    Rain-X ftw

IMO, when I have my stock airbox on I can feel the low end power a lot more. When my short ram is on I notice no gains anywhere in my powerband whatsoever. Just a nice, nice throttle sound

if u want engine response and cool sound why dont you just get a maf adapter plate thing and stick a filter on it. (keep your stock intake pipe with the reservoir on it)

i was having rain issuses with my cai, so i just made it a short ram.
    when i started the car when its been sitting in the rain it would have very sporadic idles and die even with bypass valve.

just read your post. gues its too late... oh well good luck with the intake, i doubt you will feel the difference but you will hear it.
    Last edited by dknight3; 08-21-2010 at 06:37 PM

The 4G64 just like the 6A12 runs a air flow meter.

Basically its a heated wire that when air runs past it cools down, and a voltage signal is given to the ECU for fuel/spark timing.

So if you take out the mitsubishi air box, jam some pipe and a foam pod filter on the motor, the air passing through the AFM wont be travelling in a nice linear flow that the ECU and AFM has been tuned for(that most of the reason the airbox is the way it is) and will therefore cause your car to run in a less than excellent tune.

So expect a real life power drop, mileage drop and a louder intake.

Pods can be beneficial on a modded motor with a programmable ecu or if you can no longer fit a airbox, but on a stock motor is really just a waste and will let more dirt/hot air into you motor(hooray for your valve seats :) )
    Last edited by karl6a12; 09-27-2010 at 02:53 AM

yea, i put my stock box back in my car.. more response, less pop from the exhaust too!

i gonna do it to,

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    airbox for life!
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

hahaha, if peano say that, it need to be true :D

Heh, glad I came by this thread. lol. I was looking at some CAI's, but I think Ill just get the best K/N filter for my box and be happy. lol. Sometimes Cali laws prevent us from doing bad things to our cars...haha.

They don't do anything go read the thread I 0posted in the turbo forums

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12