The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My check engine light went out, and the car runs better!!!

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    Anonymous

My check engine light went out, and the car runs better!!!

All,
    I dont know what happened to the old new msg board lol, at any rate, I posted about a problem I had with my car not wanting to start up when it was warm. The problem appeared to be that it was flooding for some reason. I remembered when I adjusted my TB the idle was at 11-1200. Which is waaaaaay too high. I installed a fuel filter, and a CAI at the same time, reset the ECU, and the problem persisted. I was almost at my wits end until I picked up a screw for my TB from mr Mitsu dealer. Thats when I remembered I had to tighten up my TB cable, and then it hit me. LOL. Oh well thanks to all who posted replies to my previous msg

Paulbunyan

MitsuMan
    paul b, glad everything worked out for you, i saw all the posts you had in the car problems section,...wannna race now?...hahaha

Dammit the light came back on

All,
    The check engine light came back on yesterday. I am not sure if it is flooding again but my girl claims its acting like it doesnt want to start when its warm again. I have yet to witness this myself, I think the original problem was that since trhe idle was adjusted so high, it was flooding the engine whenm it shut down. But now the idle is at 4-500. So it shouldnt be flooding at all. Im gonna have to drive it some myself, I probably will tomorrow, and see how it goes. I will be sure to let everone know whats happening.

Paul B
    blah blah blah

Hey Paul,

Welcome back, lol. I remember this peculiar problem you where having b/c you are the only one that seems to have this problem once the car is warmed up and you try restarting or something to that effect. Anyway, the idle is too low and that's probably why the engine doesn't stay on. Factory rpm should be at 700 +/- 100 rpm. I would turn out the idle screw on top of the throttle body (counter-clockwise) until the idle goes up to 700 rpm WHEN WARMED UP!

As for the SES light coming back on, that doesn't sound right. There's still something about your setup it doesn't like. Anyways, keep up posted.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

I changed my CAI, and got the idle between 6 and 800

All,
    Last night, after my 4th Air filter hit something and fell off the car, I decided to take ALukard's advice and build my own CAI. Since I already had the MAS adapter, all I had to buy was an intake pipe for a 92-00 Civic (available under the brand SPectre at AUtoZone) and another (5th) filter. This thing sits in the perfect spot. I just tightened up the filter on the pipe, slid it up from the bottom, and tightened up the top of it. I also finally go the idle set at about 700rpm. Is tehre a wire or hose im supposed to disconnect when trying to set the idle? It is hard as hell to get it right. I can set it at 600, then as soon as I tap the bracket, the idle shoots up to like 11oo or something. I did get it right today. Oh well. Ill keep you all posted

Paul B
    blah blah blah

I think its time for *sigh* the shop

All,
    The f*cking bytch is flooding again. At this point I am ready to throw in the towel and take this thing to a dealer or someone who can fix it. My last hurrah will be taking this thing to AutoZone, letting them read the ECU code and seeing if that gives me any hints. Is there anyone in the DC area (or within an hour or two of DC) that can fix this? Im willing to pay, I figure Id rather give my money to one of you guys than the dealership IF YOU CAN FIX IT lol. I am praying the dealship doesnt see my CAI and be like a HA! Thats the problem. If they do I swear Im gonna butst him right dead in his mouth. I am so pissed off right now its ridiculous.

Paulbunyan

pissed off in DC
    blah blah blah

i might be able to help u fix it...but scan the ecu and see what the problem is..just to see the level of difficulty that you are getting yourself in...

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Pinoy,
    Thanks man! I have to take it to the AutoZone in Manassas. The police wont let the one in Alexandria do it. Says its dangerous to have hoods open, etc

Paulbunyan

I wil definately post as soon as i get the ECU codes...
    blah blah blah

schick
    um...... first off, why do you need the hood open to check the diag code?
    the connection is under the dash.
    Second, that sounds like the dumbest rule I've ever heard. Why shouldn't you be able to have the hood open, at least while the car is parked and not moving?
    There's nothing I hate more than dumb ass police departments.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    LOL......FUKKA D PO-LICE. :x

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Light went out...lets see how long lol

All,
    Sorry havent posted in a minute, but I have been very busy. The check engine light finally went out last week. I guess I let it stay on for about 3 weeks, and eventually the computer must have adjusted itself accordingly. I was resetting it by disconnecting the battery after like a week so I guess I didn't give the computer time to recalibrate.

Now, as far as how she runs, well it runs pretty good. I dont smell gas when it starts up anymore, and it always starts right up now, even if its hot. Sometimes I can see that it is still about to flood out when I first start it up but if I rev it up to like 6 grand a couple of times that normally clears things up. It still looks like its running rich, which I would like to correct, but it may be because of the CAI I installed on there and I can live with that. As long as she dont leave me stranded Ill be alright. I never got a chance to make it to AutoZone to get the codes read. I wish I did but oh ell, the check engine light may come back on you never know...

paulbunyan
    blah blah blah

brandon
    Yeah, mine was on for awhile and it just finally up and decided to go off the other day. It was exciting.

Have to wait and see what the future holds though...

Im baaack. The light came back on

All,
    As you can see from earlier in this thread I have been having warm starting problems. My check engine light went off, but now its back on. I am going to AutoZone next weekend so that I can get the ECU read. I will post what the codes say, thats the 1st thing to do I supppose...

paulbunyan
    blah blah blah