The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: upsidedown monitor install on a 8th Gen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 30

upsidedown monitor install on a 8th Gen

Hi, I'm kinda new to the boards, found this about a week ago looked through and decided to join. To start off I don't know too much about cars or a/v elextronics beyond the basics. I bought my 2003 galant about 3 months ago and have just recently taken an interest in doing an overhaul on the interior. Most of the non electronic stuff I've either found kits or tutorials for through the help of this amazing forum you guys have here. As for the electronics I've already put in a full Sony Xplod system which probably would have been easier had i found this site last month lol. Now I'm lookin to add some visual to my audio system.

My plan is to have an LCD mounted on the dash and have it wired up to a slimline PS2 which i will have mounted in my glove compartment. I have a few ideas on how to mount the PS2 but the Monitor provides a problem...As you all know there isnt much room for a flip down monitor in the front ceiling of the Galant like you would have in the SUVs and Vans that come with the option of having an LCD Screen. This is the LSD screen I intend to buy Here .

So my plan is to mount it upside down and make it flip up on the dash; thereby eliminating the need to run wires around the car too much and making it so I dont have to remove the ceiling light (not to mention making the screen easier to see clearly from the seats).

So this leads me to my questions:

1. does this sound like a workable idea as far as wiring and location of components?

2. If I do this how would I make the screen display upside down?

3. would i be able to make a lil door/ compartment in the top/center of the dash so it isnt just visible to anyone looking in the front of my car ?

and finally:

4. In the event that is this won't work could you tell me how i could remove the ceiling light and wire up the screen in its place and suggest how to get the PS2 wires to the cailing without being blatently visible ?

**As a final note, yes I am away that i could just buy a DVD/CD/Mp3 player that has a flip up monitor with it but those all cost around $200+ and i donw have that kind of money**

well first off, i can say that anything can be done if you have the $$$ but of course, most of us don't have the luxury of throwing money around left and right. anyways, if you were to mount it on the dash, i have a question...

(if you are going to mount it ther for sure) does the screen have an option to invert the picture?

i have fit a CB radio unit in my glovebox and i dont see a problem for a slimfit PS2. the one thing that you can do to wire it up would be to remove the center console and all and run the wires and everything behind it. i don't know exactly how to wire a power current to support the PS2 so sorry i cannot help you there, but personally i would just mount it in the middle of the car between the two front seats and the back seat.

nevertheless, welcome to the forums!

those flip down units are pretty big, and im pretty sure no matter what kinda door u make, it isn't gonna hide the giant hump in the center of your dash.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

the slim ps2 will fit, i have one in my glove compartment. I had to drill holes in the bak of the glove box to run the wires to it. I can take pics if you want me 2

2001 5 speed 4g64T

just get a regular monitor and construct some sort of flip up thing for it.

just niy a 3.5 inch in dash and keep life simple
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

ps2

I had a old school ps2 in my glovebox in the g but had to cut out the back of the glovebox. You have to buy a power inverter and you can hook it up to constant 12v and just turn it off with the switch on the playstation or the power inverter. Let me know if you have any questions.

You can put a 7 inch flipdown almost anywhere because they are not that heavy. You can get them cheap on ebay for off brand. Either way you will have to get a fm modulator to play the sound of the movie or ps2 through the car speakers unless you cd player has a audio input.
    I have a salvage galant with grey interior and white outside very little body damage just little dents. I think it has a locked motor because it ticks and it has a new starter. It is a total part out and I have parts from many other galants in the past. Pm me if you need any parts and I will let you know if I have them or not.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll take the time to reply to each of you so here is go's:

Racenos: ya money is whats keepin me held back. Thanks for the wiring advice, sounds like an easy fix for that. as for the question about inverting the picture thats a question i have too i didnt see anything about ti but i'll look into it more extensivly.

pinoyesv6: ya i know they are kinda big but i mean, how can you play ps2 on a 3.5 in screen, especially if you do a 2 player game. I dont mind having a little hump in the front but i'd like to make it at least somewhat hidden ya know?

01galant01: pics would be greatly appreciated as well as any advice on how you have your screen and wiring done. Also how did you mount the slimline ps2 in the glove box so it doesnt slide around etc?

dknight3: what kind of monitor do ya mean ? do they make like pc monitors or anything like that in a size that'd work ?

guynlidia2006: if i had $300 i'd just buy the whole stereo/dvd player witha flip up screen that fits in the dash/stero slot BUT i dont have that kind of money now and even if i did i still have way more to do to my ride that it wouldnt be the most efficent use of the money. plus some of those have really small screens and may not allow for easily hidden wires of the ps2.

atish25: just like i said to 01galant01 any advice you have on how to wire it all up as well as pics yould be greatly appreciated. my CD player does have an audio input and thats the one wire i dont mind having visible since i know it'd be quite a pain to hide the audio part of it. One question i do have is what brand of inverter would you suggest and where would be a good place to buy it?

so buy these and call it a day...
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...2A-2PK&cat=MON
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

or u can use theis as a base for the system...
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=9729834

This is the one i have and it works very well... i use the blue tooth and back up camera input and it was worth the money
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=9729832

then u can get the headrest tv's when u save up a little and have a whole entertainment system for under 400.
    Mods:

Quote Originally Posted by BladeX975 View Post
    01galant01: pics would be greatly appreciated as well as any advice on how you have your screen and wiring done. Also how did you mount the slimline ps2 in the glove box so it doesnt slide around etc?
    No prob man, ill take the pics tomorrow and pm you my setup ;)

2001 5 speed 4g64T

yea dude just like a headrest monitor, and cut out a whole big enough for it and get some angle metal or somthing and make a base for it, and if you wanna get fancy you could hook an actuator to it so it comes up automatic.

oh shit,..... have i been watching to much pimp my ride?? LMAO

why not get sun visor monitors?

you have a good point reelax, that would be way easier...

ok i like the sunvisor idea the best. it sounds perfect for what i want and definitly seems easier than dismantling a headrest one or tryin to mount a flip and less expensive than a dvd/tereo/monitor unit.

So here's what i found for visor thats inexpensive and appears feaily decent: http://salestores.com/popt5wi1sumo.html
    Now my question is how do i get the ps2 to go to both visor monitors without having cords showing??

and if anyone could tell me where to find a tutorial on how to install visor monitors that'd be great...

you hide the wires under the headliner and A pillar trim pieces. pretty simple. there's gotta be hundreds of generic tutorials on the internet or better yet, any audio/alarm installer can do it in an hour or two... based on the level of knowledge you are portraying, that would probably be your best bet.

just found this... i think this is what you are looking for

http://www.dhgate.com/p_ff8080811a0b...dae85ff8.html#
    Mods:

kbeast
    finally a SMART noob :)

thats a nice adapter.... i bet it would be easy to hide...u buy one of thouse splitters to turn one plug into two and u just splice the wire into the wire in the back of the cig lighter then there u have it u have a clean install and a hidden spare plug for that cell phone plug
    Mods:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast