The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cover on or off?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 27 of 27
    I'd say leave it on too. I remember some time ago someone with an 8G posted a pic of their engine bay with a cover from a Diamante. Can't remember if it was a 6G72 or 4G64, but it looked pretty good. I always thought about doing it too.

Edit: Must have been a 6G72 seeing that the Diamante is a 6G74.
    Here is a pic of the cover on a Diamante:
    Last edited by Danger DANJ; 05-30-2008 at 11:23 PM

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    i didn't know any of the 7g's had mivec. are those fto heads or something?
    yup it's a E54A VX-R from '93 (jap imported), less than 1000 made. 200hp (as opposed to the VR-4's 240), same brake and suspension package as the VR-4, same interior and exterior trim etc.

FTO engine is orientated the other way around in the engine bay, so the heads aren't interchangable (but the block is). Mine's also got MD (modulated displacement) which shuts off one bank of cylinders when not required whereas the FTO doesn't. Take that Chrysler 300C - Mitsubishi did it 15 years before you did!

All the wiring and things under the cover are really untidy - I guess they intended the cover to stay on so they never bothered making it looking pretty.

Thanks guys for your opinions, keep 'em coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Danger DANJ View Post
    I'd say leave it on too. I remember some time ago someone with an 8G posted a pic of their engine bay with a cover from a Diamante. Can't remember if it was a 6G72 or 4G64, but it looked pretty good. I always thought about doing it too.

Edit: Must have been a 6G72 seeing that the Diamante is a 6G74.
    Here is a pic of the cover on a Diamante:
    Yeah I like how the cover goes around the manifold runners, you still see the engine but they cover up the untidy bits. I had a look at mine and if I chopped out the grey top section it wouldn't quite be inline and the runners are all drunk going on an angle etc.

on
    Team Captain for Valvoline/Eagle One

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    on

TGC Regular
    You could modify the VR-4 one to fit, as the bottom holes look to line up fine :D
    1994 Galant VR-4 GOKUH ( 230kw atw )
    2000 Legnum VR-4 ( Daily, 155.5kw atw )
    1997 Legnum VR-4 - Yes Another one
    1995 FTO - V6 Mivec 200hp

when I had my spare DOHC heads I took the cover off and tried and they didn't - the width, depth and length was all different. The DOHC has a deep valley for the spark plugs and leads while the MIVEC doesn't, instead it has deep tubes and the plug leads fouled on the DOHC cover also.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12