The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help My G Not Become A Dearly Departed

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    TGC Regular

Help My G Not Become A Dearly Departed

ok. i need some help guys. advice. as some know im the proud owner of a 92 Galant. well, the G has been sick lately. it has an oil leak and my belts squeek like crazy. i was told that the oil drips on them and the engine has to be pulled to fix it. also i wanted to mod my car. but with all the dings and paint damage (my paint has been chipping lately) i don't know if it will ever be worth it. its like 3g to have all the paint fixed and rust and dents removed. im thinking either i will have to spend alot of cash getting it ready or sell it and buy a new galant. id either go with a 94 Dual Cam set up, one of the AWD 6g with dual cam, or save a bit for a VR4. but i can't bear to see this baby end up with someone who will be like screw its junk and not take care of it. so i dont know what to do. anyway i can get the paint fixed and dents and rust removed cheaply. my hood is shot too so i gotta get another one. some one please help. what should i do?

Hey man, sorry to hear about your car...but the same thing happen to mine. I had a 92 G and it need some work, but it was a keeper until I started it up and the crankshaft stopped and the smoke started. So I got rid of it and I'm looking for something else to work on....but sometimes its just better to get something better.......

Rasko Da Gama
    If I was on your place I'd start saving for VR4... But in the meantime you could fix just major problems wich are "atacking" your baby! You at least have a chnace to get a VR4, here where I live it's fuc.... imposible to get a VR4 - as I was looking for VR4 here in Europe I found one dude from Germany who has it and one from Russia... There are a few others, but all rally versions and still far away from where I live. The best I can get of a G here is a 1990 or 1991 Galant GTi - its a 2.0 AWD 16Valve Dohc with 150HP - in my country there are just 4 or 5 of them and like 10 of others with mine in the row... Mine is 1991 GLSi (2.0 AWD 8Valve Sohc with 110HP) So my advice is: start puting some bucks on side and get that VR4 if you have a chance. If you atend to put some big bucks on your G - put it on VR4.

p.s. And when you do that - you could bring it here and sell it to me...

Pappy
    For that 3 grand to repair all the bodywork, you'd be 1 or 2 grand shy of a gvr4. I'd personally save up for one. They're a blast. You may want to check the classified section of www.galantvr4.org occasionally.

I know what you mean about not wanting your baby to go into the wrong hands. Unfortunately, there's only so much you can do.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you plan to do.

TGC Regular
    well, im trying to get it sold now, im not buying a vr4 though. im looking at a 1990 Galant GSX. its 5spd, awd, and dohc so i will have a good basis to do some mods. hopefully all my cars will sell and i'll get ths gsx.

bongi
    since like you said in a previous post that it was not its original engine, it is hard to say what the quality of putting the other engine was. what I would do is buy or rent a compression gauge and connect it one by one to the sparkplug hole and check for the compression. should read 170 or more psi. the lower limit is 149psi. the difference between each should be no more than 14 psi. if your numbers are OK then you just have to deal with the oil burning? My car was burning oil so bad when it was idling that even cops would look at me like why are you still driving that! brought to all the repair shops and all they wanted was fast buck and even wanted to order a new engine for me at 100,000 miles. I wanted to repair this car with least amount of money. so, I read about replacing the valve stem seals without taking out the cylinder heads(read expensive!) although I know some would disagree I did just that. valve stem seals cost like 6 bucks a piece X 6. rented an air compressor and bought a valve spring compressor and replaced the seals. it was not as easy as it seems but every penny worth it, because I did it myself and proud of it, considering my car was a V6 1988 galant. But since your is an in line 4 it should be even easier. My car hasnt smoked since except smoking the competition. I also put a gasket sealant when I replaced the valve cover and my engine bay looks clean. most of the time if there are oil leaks just replacing the seals would help. the last time I had my timing belt replaced I had the shop replace my front seals and also the camshaft seals to save headaches later on. actually I am due for another timing belt replacement since it has 200,200 miles and no oil burning at all. hope this helps. I did not want to replace the engine, might as well sell it if thats the case.