The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: H.I.D. issue

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

H.I.D. issue

I'm running an 4300K H.I.D. set-up from jdmcarboy.com the manufacturer is f1spec.

Ever since I got the kit it was nothing but flawless except when I had to rewire the stock harness properly.

The H.I.D. kit itself was awesome for the year I've had them. But, the past two weeks the left side kept going out and wont turn on until you click the stalk a million times. Sometimes it wont trun on at all, and when it does turn on there is a slight discoloration in the beam.

The ballast works and hold power and the right side is working fine.

could this possibly mean I need to replace the bulb?

and if so, would I be able to run 6000K's instead of 4300K's?

any help would be appreciated. thank you
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

not sure, but if u wanna change the color temp, u just get the bulbs of the color temp u want

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    yea the bulbs are interchangable thats no problem....it could be a loose connection, check your headlight fuses as well i had a similar problem and it turned out being the fuse

Have you tried swapping the ballasts, or the bulbs from side to side?

That happened to me once. If there is one thing I think mitsu failed on in the past it was its wiring -_- anyways I unplugged my hids and dried the connectors out a little with my handy heat gun, made sure there were no cuts in the wire. I then cut some packaging foam 3m taped it to the back of my ballasts and then drilled them back in place in my engine bay. That way it wouldnt be metal touching metal. got some electrical tape and taped all the connectors and zip tied them away nicely. Then went on to my fuses and replaced those which one was burnt out. then two weeks later that one burnt out and problem happened again just not as bad. replaced it and it has been fine ever since.
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

99% sure that if you meter out your harness you'll find that it's melted or stressed because of the HID's. If they're more than 55 watts, the stock wiring and stock relays won't hold the current for very long. I had the same thing happen to mine and wound up getting an HID harness that has it's own relays and draws off the battery.
    Prove it by swapping bulbs, then ballasts from one side to the other before you spend any money, or if you can use a multi-meter, ohm out your wiring harness
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

I will try that after all this graduation hecticness goes by this weekend.

My H.I.D.'s are 35W and already checked the harness wiring and they were fine.

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Ok, I did the swap bulbs and ballasts thing.

Ballasts are good, the bulbs Im not really sure cuz it turns on on the right side properly but it doesnt on the left side, fuses are good, I rewired the harness once again and shrink wrapped them.

the left side is fucked up cuz when I put the bulb from the right headlight on the left side that wouldn't turn on either.

the bulb from the left side turned on properly on the right side.

the ballast is getting power, becaue the power light comes on.

I'm pretty confused, I'll fuck around with it more sometime this week when I have garage time....

any advice would be great though!

thanks

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Send it back.. Probably something wrong with the igniter..

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffylou87 View Post
    Send it back.. Probably something wrong with the igniter..
    I'm new to H.I.D.'s

the igniter is located where?

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    I'm new to H.I.D.'s

the igniter is located where?
    Back when plug and play HID kits first came out, they had the igniter and the ballast separated. Nowadays its built into the ballast. The igniter is what decides if the HID turns on or not, hence the name igniter. Its defective, pretty sure there's nothing you could do about it. I tried taking mine apart when it did the same thing yours did, but nothing worked. I bought another set and they are fine now. Had nothing to do with wiring, it was an internal problem.

shit, I cant return these so I guess I'm out another 200 for a new set-up?

I get mine for $100 shipped.. I've had them for six months now and they're fine.

shit $85 for my highs and lows gonna on two years now.

TeamDreamSpeed / PizzaBoy
    Quote Originally Posted by G-spot View Post
    I can't believe a meet never happening all because I or James is not gonna be present. What kind of crap is that? Since when was G-spot and Silver01G heart and soul of TGCTX?

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    shit, I cant return these so I guess I'm out another 200 for a new set-up?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-X...spagenameZWDVW

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Hold on. If you tried swapping the ballasts already and the problem still stayed on the left side, then it's not the ballast or igniter.

You might want to open up the black plastic plug of the stock harness and make sure all three wires are secure inside.
    Last edited by Danger DANJ; 06-09-2008 at 01:42 PM

I'm back on Silverstars.

The Ballast went bad, the power light turns on but its not powering the bulb.

Yesterday when I tested it it seemed to work fine, but I guess it was because I got lucky and it turned on while I was testing it for that one time it turns on out of a million.

Today, I swapped them again and the left side worked fine and the right side wouldnt turn on, all this time the Ballast still getting power but the bulb did not respond whatsoever.

So I took the H.I.D.'s off completely and installed the silverstars back on.

I hate it.

Anyone get an idea where I can get replacement ballasts or anyone selling a kit for a decent price?

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    just get a set off ebay they are cheap nowadays

Qs has some good prices, and he is a TGC Vendor.