The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: boost and vacuum manifolds

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

boost and vacuum manifolds

A while back i broke a j pipe nipple for the wastegate as it was apparently too close to the manifold so it bent.. Ne ways i moved the wastegate line to a t into the intake manifold and the boost rised 2 psi to 12 or so..... eventually i went with bigger exhuast and a vacuum manifold for bov and what have you. My boost increased to 14 to 16psi.. I finally got the chance to drill my j pipe and install a barb for the wastegate. I upgraded to a big 16g and the boost was going to 18psi before - now its sold 8or 9psi... Just a word of advice for others who are beginning the turbo journey -- ur best wastegate tap source is on the jpipe or immediately on the hotpipes.... Everyone probably knows this but i put it off figuring it wasnt my problem because my boost gauge works on the manifold but it was the exact issue... Remember we get some pressure drop not to mention the length of travel to fill the intake manifold and brake booster line so by that time the turbo spooled up to a higher psi and is already flowing too much exhaust to be stopped by a late opening wastegate... . maybe someone will be helped by reading this... i only mention it because so many people use intake manifold signals for the wastegate.
    4g64DeT 1st evo ecu powered automatic (5 speed now baby)
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

thanks for the heads up johnathan. not sure which way my j-pipe will be pointing to, but i'll make sure to watch for those added pressures after the install.

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

The worst place is a line from the manifold. Best is either the hotside or J-pipe. Next best would be early in the lower intercooler piping.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe