The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My headlight project!

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 162

My headlight project! *COMPLETE*

OK, this is going to be the begining of a step-by-step work log of my headlight project... Finally today I have the last of everything I need to complete this project. I also have the last bit of information needed (so I hope) to get everything hooked up and working the way I would like to.

Basically, as I'm sure will be easily told by the picture below, I'm disassembling a dual white halo with single H3 projector headlight from a 92-95 Civic and attempting to put this in to a spare set of headlights I have for my Galant. This should be an interesting project and I figured Id put it all up here so that yall can follow me along and cheer with me when its complete or laugh with me when I fail horribly! ;) Hopefully it will end up in success, but this is my first attempt on something like so we shall see. I am begining today, and taking my time since this is all new ground for me.

Below is just about everything I will be using to do this.

Last edited by airborneparainf82; 07-01-2008 at 07:21 PM
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L 4G64 */* !!NEW!! 03 Honda CBR F4i
    * a little done -*- more to come *
    My Dual Halo H3 Projector Project

good luck man, if you manage to get it done i might be inspired to start my own.

TGC Regular
    Nice cant wait to see the finish project, looks like your ready to go.

interesting... keep us posted
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

Ok, tonight not much physically progress was made, mainly a lot of just thinking about how I want to do things in my head with the pieces I now have. But so far I have completely disassembled the Galant heads and just about completely disassembled the Civic heads.

Galant Heads

Civic Halo Projector Heads
    Last edited by airborneparainf82; 06-13-2008 at 05:12 PM

Nice........I would think that the hardest part would be aligning the projectors so that they shine straight after they've been installed.
    Life is a....... ehhhh depending how u dress er

yeah... but to hopefully combat that issue, im probably going to combine the housings from the galant and the civic headlights, mainly so the adjustment knobs and everything will still be functional

hmmm i wonder if a projector fog light would work...
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

ok so the hole in the back of the headlight housing for the headlight bulb, how many inches across? I am gonna do some research to see if i can find the right projector fog lights as a sub for our light bulb...
    Mods:

that would probably be easier than the route im going, but I really like the look of the dual halos. but you could probaby just get a regular project and just remove the reflector ones in ours and replace it that way. dont think you'd need to use a fog.

what do u mean replace it that way? sorry u lost me... do u know the measurement of the opening in the back of our stock headlight housing? sorry for hijacking your thread..
    Mods:

if you look in the picture of the galant head disassembled you can see the actual reflector assembly, on the bottom right. It just unscrews from the adjusting knobs on the back. You could probably just buy a projector assembly and put it there instead of the reflector. and the hole in the back of the headlight housing that I assume your talking about is 3"

ok... thats excatally what i wanna try... anyone have a spare set of headlight i can experiment on? Thanks for the info... and good luck on project
    Mods:

check the for sale stuff... i think i saw a set for $100 on there just yesterday or the day before. i just went to the junkyard

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...m280234062471&

i think this is exctally what your looking for
    Mods:

Quote Originally Posted by guynlidia2006 View Post
    hmmm i wonder if a projector fog light would work...
    umm. u can just buy projector fogs and mount them in place of the stock fogs. i have projector fogs on my car... PIAA 90mm 998 turbojector fog lights w/ H3 6000K HID.

ok so the hole in the back of the headlight housing for the headlight bulb, how many inches across? I am gonna do some research to see if i can find the right projector fog lights as a sub for our light bulb...
    using a fog light or fog light projector as a headlight is really not a good ideĆ*; headlights have signifcantly different beam patterns and throw then fogs... especially projectors since the cutoffs are so much sharper. fog lights disperse light in a very widee pattern while not throwing light very far down the road... relying on fogs as your primary headlight will probably result in running over something or hitting something directly in front of u that u were not able to see in time. the proper retrofit for a reflector headlight is a headlight projector (with the correct cutoff upsweep).
    Last edited by Reelax; 06-08-2008 at 11:30 PM

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but the projector foglight idea has been tried and written off as a failure, only because it's not going to be bright enough to be used as a headlight. There's also an obvious safety issue.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Quote Originally Posted by airborneparainf82 View Post
    check the for sale stuff... i think i saw a set for $100 on there just yesterday or the day before. i just went to the junkyard
    Sarge, you may be able to save yourself a lot of work and duplication of effort. I believe that somewhere in our archives is a tutorial for how to install projectors in our headlights. I'm not trying to discourage you. I'm only trying to save you from reinventing the wheel so to speak. Also, a member, Ericblah has made several sets of projector heads with Halo's and maybe able to steer you in the right direction if you hit a SNAFU.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast