The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My headlight project!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Showing results 41 to 60 of 162
    Quote Originally Posted by remarque View Post
    I dont know if the headlights are made of ABS, but if they are you can use acetone and abs plastic chips to make a paste that will fuse the plastic together. Its alot easier than using fiberglass.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatal1 View Post
    actually not that it would be best for this but i just tried some stuff on a current project of mine called "amazing GOOP" and i have to say it works extremely well with plastic, closest stuff ive found other then the 2 part epoxy that shops use (forgot the naame) it doesnt dry hard though more like a silicone but for simple holding things in place and creating a good adhesion inside the housing before you start glassing i reccomend it use some spring clams to secure it though as you would with anything else

coming along good though awaiting to see the progress
    I just used the 2 part plastic weld epoxy and its working great. enough cure time to allow me to work it around where i need it, but in about 10 mins its hard as a rock which is great. I'm going to use that stuff to form the main structural bonds and then bondo over the holes and smooth out the look.
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L 4G64 */* !!NEW!! 03 Honda CBR F4i
    * a little done -*- more to come *
    My Dual Halo H3 Projector Project

Alright well today I made some big steps. Whatever the piece that goes between the head housing and the clear front part (lets call it middle housing), was my focus today. I got everything fit somewhat just right and then bonded it with the 2-part epoxy. From there I was able to use that single piece to align the projector housing with the old galant housing so everything lined up right and then epoxied that together. Now the bonds are dry and solid. Going to run some more around the head housing to create a better support, but once that is done, then the bondo begins and I'll be just about done with my first headlight conversion, then just on to the other one..... sigh.

One bit of tradegy today, I pulled the halos off the middle housing while I was working with it and apparently i pulled on one of the wires coming off the halo and it come out from the connection point, which is not easy to get access too!!! :( im going to attempt to get it back in there, but Im not confident about this. I may end up having to purchase a halo, or probably too to match it with one on the other headlight.

Well here's the latest pictures of progress I made so far today. Actually looks like its coming together pretty well.

Middle housing epoxied and read to go

2 pictures of everything lined up and ready to go. Notice the gap on the left between the middle housing and the edge of the head housing. Ill solve this with bondo, but mental note for the next head to make sure that is correct before epoxying.

Last edited by airborneparainf82; 06-13-2008 at 05:11 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    Looking good. At least you try stuff on your own. I give you props dude, that is how I and many others learn. I learn body work by doing it, never had a class for it. Only reason I took a class was to get y license. You know what glue to use to secure teh parts together, if you not sure let me know.
    I cant agree more

Did you know back in 2003 I paid people to do oil changes and I didnt know how to change my brake pads. 6 months later I did the 5 speed swap, 8 months after that I did the EVO swap. Once you get the drive to jump in and get your feet wet, there is no turning back, it just snowballs, you'll go as far and do as much as your mind will let you.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    I cant agree more

Did you know back in 2003 I paid people to do oil changes and I didnt know how to change my brake pads. 6 months later I did the 5 speed swap, 8 months after that I did the EVO swap. Once you get the drive to jump in and get your feet wet, there is no turning back, it just snowballs, you'll go as far and do as much as your mind will let you.
    yeah i enjoying doing stuff myself sometimes. take more pride in it and its more personal that way. but this will sound bad, but i pay people to change my oil, but thats because Im lazy usually. I do know how tho :)

does the bezel from the projector bolt on to it? If so that will at least ancor the whole piece for u once you glue it or plastic weld it together... I bet if u just taped off the lights (the projector and the other beam) and sprayed the rest with some hi temp black and trimed the origional trim piece from your bezel around the projector and high beam it wouldnt look half bad.. maybe even eaiser to do... what year civic are thouse headlights from... i am really likeing this idea...
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

Quote Originally Posted by guynlidia2006 View Post
    does the bezel from the projector bolt on to it? If so that will at least ancor the whole piece for u once you glue it or plastic weld it together... I bet if u just taped off the lights (the projector and the other beam) and sprayed the rest with some hi temp black and trimed the origional trim piece from your bezel around the projector and high beam it wouldnt look half bad.. maybe even eaiser to do... what year civic are thouse headlights from... i am really likeing this idea...
    does the bezel bolt on to what? And yeah Im sure the way I am going about it may not of been the easiest, but its what made sense in my head and considering I've never attempting anything like this before, I figured I should go with how my mind worked it all out :) the headlights are off a 92-95 Civic. The halos are the perfect size and the project/reflector easily fit the size of a galant housing. Also everything is wired up so its just plug and play with the exception of the halos.

Almost done with the first one!!

OK, after a decent amount of work today, I am pretty much almost done with my first headlight. Just have a few minor things such as drilling a hole to run the halo wires through, resealing the clear cover and housing and then putting the 2 back together. What I accomplished since last night after I plastic welded the housings together and the bezel/middle housing (???):

I used bondo for the first time in my life to fill the gaps around the head housing combo. It was an interesting experience, and as you can see from the pictures, I didn't sand it down all that well because I don't really care for right now. Its inside the engine compartment so I'll be fine for now. I also used bondo to create a more solid look of the bezel/middle housing. This I spent more time sanding it to create a smooth appearance, but the lack of sand paper choices I had prevented me from getting the perfect look. This will be corrected for the next headlight. Finally, I painted the bezel/middle housing with a high glass black Krylon Fusion paint, re-mounted the halos and put everything together for a final test fit and a couple pictures to see how it all looked. And my I have totally impressed myself. I hope you guys like how it looks!

Pre-sanding 1st bondo ever

Post-sanded head housings

Bondoed and sanded bezel/middle housing

Painted bezel/middle housing and halos attached

Test fit w/o clear cover

Test fit w/clear cover

well i meant the round bezel that goes around the projector.. does it bolt to it?
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

i am very impressed... sometimes the right way is not the easy way... but the reason for this forum is for us to brainstom and make our hobby better right? It looks very good... how much will u charge for a set? :-)
    Mods:

well i meant the round bezel that goes around the projector.. does it bolt to it?
    Oh I think I know what your talking about and no it doesnt, just like the Galant it is held in place when the clear cover is attached to the housing.

i am very impressed... sometimes the right way is not the easy way... but the reason for this forum is for us to brainstom and make our hobby better right? It looks very good... how much will u charge for a set? :-)
    Exactly. If it wasn't for lots of help, ideas and suggestions from people on this forum I dont think I would of gotten anywhere close to where I have. And before I even think about doing this project again, first comes headlight #2 which has yet to begin. ;)

lol oh yeah headlight #2.. I wish u were cloer i would go help u and do mine too.. lol... the only part i would have trouble with would be the middle bezel... i would need an xtra set of headlights so i can take my time.. but it really looks good man... now just get some jdm tails and your set..
    Mods:

do u know if that was for a 2 door? 4 door or 3 door civic... because i have to copy you... your too cool not too
    Mods:

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Looks good but can you get the two to be more level?? Looks like one of them is either too low or too high. I think it will look better if they are leveled.

Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    Looks good but can you get the two to be more level?? Looks like one of them is either too low or too high. I think it will look better if they are leveled.
    i think when u look at them that is how they aere in the orginoal housing... so i bet that would be alot more trouble than its worth...
    Mods:

thouse skrews on the back of the gray housing are adjustment skrews? to align the lights?
    Mods:

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    coming along pretty well but a tip for the future it is generally a better idea to use fiberglass cloth and resin etc for stuctural molding...(in th rear of the headlight) bondo isnt really very strong it is used as more of a filler or a final step in tha process... bondo has a tendency to crack and crumble away... i would just hate to see all that hard work go to waste...i know you used an epoxy to actually hold everything in place however i think it would be a good idea to just lay down at least a coat or 2 of fg in the rear of the housing, it is pretty easy to work with especially since that area as you said doesnt need to be perfect

you dont think the plastic weld would be strong enough to hold it together? because whn u fiberglass overit dosent it make it hard to get to the adjuster skrews and change light bulbs?
    Mods:

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    no it will hold in place fine but he rear will eventually crumble is what i mean...it shouldnt go out of place...sorry for the confusion...you can cut the cloth so it doesnt cover the adjustment knobs nd then lay the resein over that it doesnt have to cover the entire back area

TGC Regular
    one of the hardest things about doing a retrofit is getting the projector alligned properly. Since projectors have such a sharp cutoff it is easily noticable if it is not mounted level. Its pretty tricky. The adjustment screws on the back will only allow you to move the cutoff up, down, and a little bit side to side ... there is no rotational adjustment.

So my suggestion to you (if you have not already done this) is to mount the headlight in the car and shine it against a wall at night. If the cutoff is not straight, you may have a major headache ahead, since the projectors are already permanently mounted in the housing. :(

edit:

This is the straight cutoff that im referring to. These are the heads that i made for Cardude03. TSX projectors i beleive.

Last edited by ericbla03; 06-13-2008 at 09:46 PM

Need some paint or bodywork done in Chicagoland or NW Indiana???.. http://www.alsautobodyexperts.com/

lol oh yeah headlight #2.. I wish u were cloer i would go help u and do mine too.. lol... the only part i would have trouble with would be the middle bezel... i would need an xtra set of headlights so i can take my time.. but it really looks good man... now just get some jdm tails and your set..
    the middle bezel was actually not that hard to be honest. Just required a little bit of time with the dremel and the sanding attachment to get the curves just right to line up with each other. and hate to burst your bubble but im not a fan of the JDM tails! :o

do u know if that was for a 2 door? 4 door or 3 door civic... because i have to copy you... your too cool not too
    the ones I got were for the 2/3 door civic.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast