The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: In Need of Advice

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

In Need of Advice

The time is coming to purchase new tires and I don't want to put them on my bent factory alloys, Ive been driving with a shimmy for over a year and ready to go nuts, so I was wondering what y'all would recommend for an 8GV6

The factory wheels were 16 and I like the look of them (6 spoke silver), Im really not looking for a big statement main concern is something that would work for all seasons and hold up to the WV Potholes and of course look could on a Dover White Pearl G.

Experienced TGC Member
    Well Im in the same situation as you and Ive been asking around alot. I have a white pearl 4cyl so when the time comes for me to get them I was thinking of getting some 5 or 6 spoke in a dark gunmetal in a 17s with a 225/45/17 tire, but along with this I wanted to drop the car so the wheels fit the well better, depending on where you are in WV decides what you want to get, maybe a 17" rim with a larger tire, but for a style of rim IMO a gunmetal or black center with a polished lip would look good.

Experienced TGC Member glantv699's Avatar
    So it sounds like you are looking to purchase a new set of slightly upgraded wheels with a decent all-season tire...

This has been discussed several times before, so here is my advice to you. Anything in a silver, or polished silver, hyper black, or hyper silver, will probably look good. Ultimately, it is your choice which wheel you decide to go with. Search around online, probably stay away from ebay...

Not looking to make a big statement? Get 17's, at most 18's. A 6-spoke 17" wheel is probably what you are looking for and there are plenty of those around. Be sure that the offset is suitable for the 8G, and that you match up the bolt pattern correctly ( 5 x 114.3).

When it comes to picking tires, a good all-season will have at least an A temperature and A traction rating, although AA would be even better. Aim for treadwear in the 360 - 420 range, that way you'll have a slightly sticky tire on the lower end of the spectrum, the higher you go the more "plastic" it will feel. You will want a non-drectional tread, meaning that if you rotate your wheels, the tire could go on either side of the car. Most summer tires are directional, probably not what you're looking for.

Buy the following tire sizes:
    If you stay with 16" 205/55/16
    upgrade to 17" wheel: 215/45/17 (your best bet)
    upgrade to 18" wheel: 225/40/18 (potholes might like eating these, see above^)

Hope this helps
    Last edited by glantv699; 06-09-2008 at 01:50 PM

> TGCPA - SOUTHEAST
    > 2010 Evolution X SE #183 of 340 (1 of 54 in Octane Blue)
    > 1999 ES V6 (Sold 2/2011)

225/45 is the best tire size for 17's

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    i got these for my G and I was told these look like stock rims just with more of a lip on them.

Well thanks for the input

pirelli has a good all season tire i think.

been checking Discount Tire and I could be on there until winter with the selections

225/45 is the best tire size for 17's x2 and deff go threw discount tire they will work a deal out with rims,tires all mounted and balanced so all you have to do when you get them is bolt them on. Go threw ebay auction they hook you up with a great deal i got 18"s for just under 1k (pics comin soon)
    If you don't got the pocket, then don't try and rock it

Well these look good to me, not flashy and with a good allseason drivable all year.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheel...bstn_ci3_l.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteGalant View Post
    Well Im in the same situation as you and Ive been asking around alot. I have a white pearl 4cyl so when the time comes for me to get them I was thinking of getting some 5 or 6 spoke in a dark gunmetal in a 17s with a 225/45/17 tire, but along with this I wanted to drop the car so the wheels fit the well better, depending on where you are in WV decides what you want to get, maybe a 17" rim with a larger tire, but for a style of rim IMO a gunmetal or black center with a polished lip would look good.
    I was origionally going to go with the gunmetal but then it was on back order and I said scrrew it and went with black. Im actually really happy that I did. i have 6-spoke MSRs, and through wheelsnext.com I got the wheels, tires, mounted and balanced for just over 900. They come shipped ready to put on. In my sig is the link to my thread with pictures of my car and you should be able to see how 6-spoke black looks there.
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L 4G64 */* !!NEW!! 03 Honda CBR F4i
    * a little done -*- more to come *
    My Dual Halo H3 Projector Project

Would these fit...2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT OEM wheels dsm + tires 17" ?