The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8g JDM Front Conversion

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 89

8g JDM Front Conversion

Hey Guys,

I'm planning to have JDM full front conversion on my 8g. However, I'm also planning to paint the bumper by myself. I tried searching on the tutorials about DIY painting but I didn't see anything. How hard it will be to DIY paint a bumper? What would be the materials needed? Thanks.
    "Mitsubishi Galant(e) for Life"

Tuned 2013 Evolution X GSR PB

-> Follow me on IG @blackblurr_x | 5-Speed | Check out my Build Here

what kinda equipment do u have??

do you have like an automotive paint sprayer? are you painting from a rattle can? where are u gonna spray it?

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

I plan to buy the equipments needed, like air compressor, spray gun etc. But would it be hard to do the actual painting? I would need a color matched to my existing paint then clear coat. Probably a polishing compound.

go to your local auto paint supplier and they will give you step by step instructions. In fact my local rep showed me how to build a paint booth out of wood and plastic sheets 8)

For what you would spend to buy everything to do it yourself you can have it done professionally.

Quote Originally Posted by G-spot View Post
    go to your local auto paint supplier and they will give you step by step instructions. In fact my local rep showed me how to build a paint booth out of wood and plastic sheets 8)
    Did you diy painted your bumper/skirts?

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 02galant View Post
    For what you would spend to buy everything to do it yourself you can have it done professionally.

A lot cheaper.

The dealer will probably paint the front bumper for about 350 or so. For your project to come out looking good, specially up close where detail is noticed, you will need a bunch of stuff. For someone that wants to paint you don't seem like you did your homework enough. You are going to have to do a lot of searching and understanding what it takes to paint, not just ask questions. Getting the supplies is the easy part. If you get a JDM bumper, you will have to sand down the clear coat on it, fill holes and scratches, sand some more. Have to be able to feel by hand where you sand to make sure you don't have uneven spots. There's a lot to it then just buying equipment and spraying. I've been doing this for 15 years and I'm still learning some things. Ask your self these questions, have you painted anything with a spray-gun before?? Don't say I have with a can because it is totally different. If you never done this then I'm going to be the honest one of the bunch and tell you that your first project will look like ass. Take a class if you plan to do this or read lots of books but I will tell you this right now that after you read all them books and you have a basic understanding of what you need to do, now the hard part comes in, now you have to actually do it and if you miss a step while doing it, something will come out shitty, or if you don't mix some chemicals right, your project will fail. There are certain PSIs that will be needed for this type of painting. These are things you will need to read up on. I cant really tell you how to do it because everyone has their own style. I suggest buying a used bumper and practice and practice until you get it right. Or you could just paint it like you think it should be done and have it not match the rest of the body like some cars we see here on TGC and other forums and be the type that is satisfied with that. I personally am a perfectionist, i take my time in what I do because I love this, that's another pointer for you dude, you must like it. If you don't like it, it wont come out good. Body work is a skill that not very many perfect. There are a lot of body man out there but only small percentage of them are really good. So with that said, before you go buy all those tools and have your project frustrate an upset you, ask yourself if this is really something you want to do? This is not like painting interior pieces that are tinny and all you do is sand lightly and paint with a can. A bumper is like a car, get the prepping done right and the paint will lay down good too. Prepping is the most important. Good luck, my post is not to stop your project but simply to make sure you understand whats involved to do it the right way. If I were you, unless you plan on painting a bunch of stuff in the future, have it done by someone at a shop. It will be much cheaper for you.
    Last edited by RAZ_76; 06-12-2008 at 11:09 AM

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    try it.

Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    A lot cheaper.

The dealer will probably paint the front bumper for about 350 or so. For your project to come out looking good, specially up close where detail is noticed, you will need a bunch of stuff. For someone that wants to paint you don't seem like you did your homework enough. You are going to have to do a lot of searching and understanding what it takes to paint, not just ask questions. Getting the supplies is the easy part. If you get a JDM bumper, you will have to sand down the clear coat on it, fill holes and scratches, sand some more. Have to be able to feel by hand where you sand to make sure you don't have uneven spots. There's a lot to it then just buying equipment and spraying. I've been doing this for 15 years and I'm still learning some things. Ask your self these questions, have you painted anything with a spray-gun before?? Don't say I have with a can because it is totally different. If you never done this then I'm going to be the honest one of the bunch and tell you that your first project will look like ass. Take a class if you plan to do this or read lots of books but I will tell you this right now that after you read all them books and you have a basic understanding of what you need to do, now the hard part comes in, now you have to actually do it and if you miss a step while doing it, something will come out shitty, or if you don't mix some chemicals right, your project will fail. There are certain PSIs that will be needed for this type of painting. These are things you will need to read up on. I cant really tell you how to do it because everyone has their own style. I suggest buying a used bumper and practice and practice until you get it right. Or you could just paint it like you think it should be done and have it not match the rest of the body like some cars we see here on TGC and other forums and be the type that is satisfied with that. I personally am a perfectionist, i take my time in what I do because I love this, that's another pointer for you dude, you must like it. If you don't like it, it wont come out good. Body work is a skill that not very many perfect. There are a lot of body man out there but only small percentage of them are really good. So with that said, before you go buy all those tools and have your project frustrate an upset you, ask yourself if this is really something you want to do? This is not like painting interior pieces that are tinny and all you do is sand lightly and paint with a can. A bumper is like a car, get the prepping done right and the paint will lay down good too. Prepping is the most important. Good luck, my post is not to stop your project but simply to make sure you understand whats involved to do it the right way. If I were you, unless you plan on painting a bunch of stuff in the future, have it done by someone at a shop. It will be much cheaper for you.
    Hey Raz,
    Thanks for the honest advice. Based on that, I think it would be best to have it done professionally.

Just make sure you do as much prep work as possible. That would help keep shop costs down, afterall the prep time is the most costly.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Just make sure you do as much prep work as possible. That would help keep shop costs down, afterall the prep time is the most costly.

Agreed! That is where all the labor and cost is.

Another problem I have is to get the JDM bumper first. Anyone tried the VR4 bumper from VIS Racing?

I was once contemplating painting my new JDM parts my self to save money, but I changed my mind. Instead, I've slowly been doing all the filling of scratches and nicks and stuff, then I'll hand it over to a professional for the painting.

i have painted before and my peices actually came out great.but painting body panels is a completly difrent ball game. abs plastic bumpers flex, wich means if you dont use a flex additive in your paint that you can get stress cracks in the paint from the paint not flexing when the bumper does. i live in maine and any abs bumpers painted without a flex additive wouldnt survive one winter here. take a class on paint and body first. have your bumpers professionally painted untill you have learned proper techniques and had lots of practice. the ebst way to learn is trial and error.
    2001 es v6

Quote Originally Posted by Galante View Post
    Another problem I have is to get the JDM bumper first. Anyone tried the VR4 bumper from VIS Racing?
    Do you really want fiber glass??? I know I dont liek it too much. Fitment is crap and they are way to sensitive.

I agree with Raz, VIS is a good company but trying to keep a FG bumper in mint condition especially if youre driving your car daily is going to be tough. Just contact trigg and get a bumper from him. He gives good prices and gets you your stuff QUICK!
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune
    2009 Acura TL w/Tech package A-spec Kit/ BBS LM/Tein

Quote Originally Posted by dronesurfboards View Post
    I agree with Raz, VIS is a good company but trying to keep a FG bumper in mint condition especially if youre driving your car daily is going to be tough. Just contact trigg and get a bumper from him. He gives good prices and gets you your stuff QUICK!
    when you install your JDM bumper, did you have to modify the bumper support bar on the chassis/radiator? Let me know.

MJ2002
    ^not at all..

u can buy jdm plug-n-play

Where would I get that from? ty

Quote Originally Posted by MJ2002 View Post
    ^not at all..

u can buy jdm plug-n-play
    ^^^Moron, if you dont know, dont give advice.

Now to answer your question correctly, yes you do have to cut the crash bar at 45* angle and also on the bottom if you want it to fit at all. Here is a photo of mine after I cut it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast