The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Goin to the stealership, any advice?

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Goin to the stealership, any advice?

Ok.. so I bought a 7g(96) auto with 80k miles on it for around 13ish. Guy was selling it for some lady he did the brakes and one of the tie rod ends, i have the other so im gonna have the dealership put it in also want to get the timing belt done before it snaps knowing my luck. I've seen ppl suggest replacing the seals also? Anything else that would be a good idea to get done?
    Tryin not to get raped there. Anyone know typical cost of the above work? I just did the IAC recently, cars not throwin any codes... only thing i notice is as im driving i see the tachometer bouncing slightly as it increases in revs but I don't feel the car doing it but im guessing that might be a common fault in these?

Suggestions suggestions suggestions please.

Thanks

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    So you bought a 96 auto 7g for $13k? Not sure if I read that right.

But if you are doing the timing belt, go ahead and do the waterpump at the same time.
    7g for life!

$1300.. then i did IAC part was $250 and got the other tie rod end for like $30 - $40 i forget how much.
    better to order the parts myself and bring them with the car or let the dealer handle it? Whats avg cost in labor for doing timing belt and water pump?

wow big relief thought you meant 13K

hahaha.. i didn't even want to pay 1300 for it, but I think it will be a good beater with a lil maintenance.
    as for timing belts.... i see a cloyes and i see a gates for around $33 and the acdelco is $66. worth 2x the price for the acdelco?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    I was gunna say.. 13k? Phew..

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Timing belt
    drive belts
    cam seal
    oil pump seal
    crank seal
    Balance shaft belt
    water pump
    tensioner pulley
    idler pulley

The Timing belt and Bshaft belts are made by "Gates" from Oem Mitsu. If you can find Gates belts which I was able to source through NAPA, then buy them....if not go to Mitsu. If you want to save a little cash...get everything else from Napa.

Whatever you do..don't buy a "Continental" brand Timing belt. They are known to seperate.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo