The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Driving Impression: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

Driving Impression: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart

After driving the Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart for the first time, we can tell you it's not so much the "slightly detuned Evo" we thought it would be — instead, it's more like a muscled-up Lancer GTS. Just the same, it's serious enough in intent that it should give Subaru's Impreza WRX fits.

The Lancer Ralliart shares the 4B11 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder with the mighty Lancer Evolution, but in Ralliart form it uses a smaller turbo (a single-scroll vs. a twin-scroll for the Evo), a smaller intercooler and a different intake system, though it does share the Evo's twin-outlet exhaust system. So instead of 291 bhp and 300 lb.-ft. of torque as in Evo form, the Ralliart makes 237 bhp at 6000 rpm and 253 lb.-ft. of torque from 2500-4750 rpm. Which means that while the Ralliart definitely has some giddyup, don't be expecting to yell "yee-hah!" on acceleration as you would in an Evo. The engine is also similar to the Evo's in that it's on the noisy side, especially during hard acceleration. Although the Ralliart has less turbo lag, it lacks the incredible rush of the Evo.

Clearly one-upping Subaru's WRX, the Ralliart will come only with Mitsubishi's near-perfect paddle-shift Twin Clutch-SST (or Sportronic Shift Transmission) gearbox, which also comes on the Evo MR. The Ralliart's version has just two modes, Normal and Sport, doing without the track-oriented S-Sport. Mitsubishi says the algorithms of Normal and Sport were specifically calibrated to the Ralliart, while 5th and 6th gears are taller for better highway fuel mileage (Mitsu says 17/25 mpg), giving it a less frantic nature than the Evo's.

Huge differences between the Evo and Ralliart are apparent in the suspension systems. To start, the Evo has a wider track than the Ralliart, while the latter's front MacPherson strut suspension and multilink rear are shared with the basic Lancer and use steel stampings, versus the Evo's forged-aluminum pieces; shock and spring rates are Ralliart-specific — stiffer than in the Lancer, softer than Evo's.

Hop into a Ralliart right after getting out of an Evo, and you'll notice dramatic differences. Whereas the Evo feels utterly stiff and has grip galore, the Ralliart's narrower tires, softer suspension and looser steering mean it will start sliding around a lot sooner. It's still lots of fun and very controllable — turn the stability system off, get aggressive and you can rotate the rear — but it doesn't have the pure poise at its limits like the Evo. And it all starts happening at a far lower speed. The upside? The cushier ride is easier on your backside.

While the Ralliart has all-wheel drive like the Evo, the system itself is from the Evo 9, not the 10, so it won't come with the Active Yaw Control (AYC) system that blew us away on the 10. Brakes are virtually identical to those on the Lancer, the only change being the Ralliart's front calipers are two-piston versus the Lancer's single-piston.

Most of the body panels on the Ralliart are from the regular Lancer — no bulging fenders here — although the front and rear fascias are unique to the Ralliart, while the aluminum hood is straight from the Evo.

So is the Lancer Ralliart an Evo junior, or a pumped-up Lancer? Depends on your perspective. For sure, the Ralliart will be considerably cheaper than the Evo when it goes on sale this September. Mitsubishi has yet to set pricing, but our semi-educated guess places the Ralliart between $27,000 and $28,000.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=6887

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Mitsu might sell alot of these "Budget Evo" Ralliarts.

Though I can see as the price of these Ralliarts are more attainable to a younger market....I can see alot of these cars being totalled because they are going to be driven by younger unexperienced drivers that want to go fast.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    hhmmm might have to look into this more

There is a really good review on Car and Driver's site that has it runnin 0-60 in 5.5 sec and saying base price should be 27K. I hope they keep the price low and that it is indeed that fast b/c I'm ready for Mitsu to run the WRX into the ground. I am completely shocked at how ugly the WRX got and that the STi is only offered as a hatchback. I don't know what looks better the new Focus or the WRX.

Evo Jr.s will still be in my MR rear view mirror. :)

Maybe I should rebadge my MR as a Ralliart....a little sleeper action.
    Love,
    Matt

Experienced TGC Member
    Hopefully the price will be more affordable. I find it quite ridiculous that the EVO X is priced at $38k+ yet you only get 290hp and 300lbs. of torque.

TGC Regular
    390 I believe if you pay that extra 1k....
    'o4 Acura TL: Dynamic ;; AEM | P2R | Falken

Sound.Vision.Soul // Drive.Drift.Dream

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    6G72Galant - You obviously havent driven one yet. Keeps up with cars that are twice the price..

glolant02
    ^^^ 4x the price. dont even begin to knock evo's. you are seriously insulting mitsubishi and many of the diehards. join a civic forum.

i dont know to me i just dont feel right buying a ralliart knowing that there is a better version of it.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 6G72Galant View Post
    Hopefully the price will be more affordable. I find it quite ridiculous that the EVO X is priced at $38k+ yet you only get 290hp and 300lbs. of torque.
    You are getting a machine loaded with technology and superior engineering. The price of the car is not soley based on how much power the motor can produce. The materials used on the body, drivetrain, suspension, motor, and electronics reflect on why the car is $38k. For a car that is $38k...it can out perform and perform just as well as cars 2x's to 3x's more expensive than the Evo.

The Evo has been referred many times from magazine reviews as the affordable supercar.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

glolant02
    ^ yeah, what he said.

Lancer Ralliart will be priced at 26k. A little expensive I think but it's still cool as hell to get an evo lite. Supposedly it's only available as a 6-speed now.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2009/mits...55/prices.html

4 grand more or less you have a evo GSR.
    "Our fears don't stop death, they stop life"

bahahahaha....test drove an EVO MR today

oh boy, i'm getting broke!
    1999 North Star White V6 8G
    2003 Yamaha R6
    2008 Lancer Evolution X

The Original FACTION from the BGR Days
    First Founder of TGC Florida 2002-2005

Quote Originally Posted by glolant02 View Post
    ^^^ 4x the price. dont even begin to knock evo's. you are seriously insulting mitsubishi and many of the diehards. join a civic forum.
    hahahahahahahahahaha this guy is hilarious

to be honest id rather just get a 335i, or the newer S4 for the prices the evo costs now. i mean yeah its loaded with technology, but i doubt even 10% of the owners will use that car to half of its potential
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    all this lancer talk.. when does the galant get it's redemption!! wtf it's been years!!!!! get out with the new VR already!!!

Quote Originally Posted by glolant02 View Post

LOL

Funny how a newb talks smack to someone who has been here much longer than they have. Learn your place nub. Not everyone has to please your opinion. Your opinion =/= fact.