The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Pogigreg's 7G Turbo Project

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 61

Pogigreg's 7G Turbo Project

Well, I decided to get off the bench and jump into the TURBO game. I've read all of the threads from everyone turboing their SOHC 4G64 to the 4G63T head swap and turboing it. So today I went shopping and got some stuff for a very good price. I actually couldn't resist it. I got a complete 4G63 engine , two turbo manifolds, a bigger intake, a TDO4HL turbo, and some other parts. So now I need to know the way to go. I planned of dropping in the 4G63 and turboing it. Is this a good plan? Or doing the head swap on my current 4G64 and turboing it. I will tell you though, this is not going to be a quick project. I have a little bit of a budget, and I would like to rebuild the 4G63 motor, and go to some Wiseco pistons with 9.0:1 compression. I dont want the Galant to be out of commission while I build up this engine. Here are some pics of what I got. I am looking for some advise and suggestions from everyone. (Especially DOHCstunner, 4-G-Rim, and Seth.) Thanks.

Last edited by PogiGreg; 06-15-2008 at 02:19 AM

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    What's your current setup. SOHC, DOHC? OBD1 or OBD2. I would deffinitely go back and get engine wire harness and the power transistor pack

I am currently SOHC ODB1. That harness looks like a PITA and I would have to relocate my fuse box according to some posts that I read. Correct me if I am wrong, but I should be able to modify my current harness.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    We talked a little bit about what route you wanted to go and tried to give you some suggestions to help you decide what route. Doing the 4G63 swap is good...it has more potential to make power in stock internal form than a stock internal 4G64 if you plan to upgrade and make a little more power.

How many "known" miles is on that motor and its condition? If its still healthy I would freshen it up with new front seals, rear main seals, Tbelt, pulley's, valve cover and spark plug tube gaskets and drop it in and call it a day. A stock 4G63 with some good bolt ons and a good tune will make power to move a 7g and be fast.

If you want to build it up now whiles its out because you plan to go with a bigger turbo in the long run...then thats a good idea. Just plan you goal..and do what you need to achieve that goal. No need to spend $$$$ on things you don't need to achieve that goal.

Did you pull that motor out of a A/T 1g? I believe thats a 13b turbo because its stamped with the TD03. Thats a small turbo..smaller than a 14b. If I were you I would try to get a 16g or even a Evo III16g...it will make the power you want, hits harder and more effecient turbo if you want to run 15-20psi.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim View Post
    We talked a little bit about what route you wanted to go and tried to give you some suggestions to help you decide what route. Doing the 4G63 swap is good...it has more potential to make power in stock internal form than a stock internal 4G64 if you plan to upgrade and make a little more power.

How many "known" miles is on that motor and its condition? If its still healthy I would freshen it up with new front seals, rear main seals, Tbelt, pulley's, valve cover and spark plug tube gaskets and drop it in and call it a day. A stock 4G63 with some good bolt ons and a good tune will make power to move a 7g and be fast.

If you want to build it up now whiles its out because you plan to go with a bigger turbo in the long run...then thats a good idea. Just plan you goal..and do what you need to achieve that goal. No need to spend $$$$ on things you don't need to achieve that goal.

Did you pull that motor out of a A/T 1g? I believe thats a 13b turbo because its stamped with the TD03. Thats a small turbo..smaller than a 14b. If I were you I would try to get a 16g or even a Evo III16g...it will make the power you want, hits harder and more effecient turbo if you want to run 15-20psi.
    You know, I haven't actually decided which way to go yet. One thing is for sure, I am not going to just drop this engine in. I am thinking of stroking it to a 2.3. That is one route, or rebuild this one as it is. As far as the turbo is concerned, I was thinking of not too much boost. I am keeping the Automatic. I am having the transmission rebuilt now. My goal is around 220 HP. Not too much. I want to build boost around 3K rpms.

automatics are fun for turbo's because once you build boost you have it until you let off the throttle.
    you never let off the throttle from 0-150mph on a auto car.
    i'd get a nice vtrim t3/t4. if you want to make nice power on your automatic without a ton of boost.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Is that 4g63 from an NA car or turbo car? If its from an NA car, the block lacks the oil squirters for each cylinder. Its probably not the best block to start with, Id rather build up the 2.4l you have and dump that 1g DOHC head on it.

If you only want 220whp, then a stock internal 4g63t and a 16g will get you there no problem. A 14b wont have any troubles getting their either, but in my experience, you wont more turbo lag then what a 14b gives you, since your keeping it auto. And might as well try to find a high stall torque converter while you are at it!
    7g for life!

get a nice 14b and some bigger injectors.

right now you only have 390cc injectors and a 13G.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT View Post
    Is that 4g63 from an NA car or turbo car? If its from an NA car, the block lacks the oil squirters for each cylinder. Its probably not the best block to start with, Id rather build up the 2.4l you have and dump that 1g DOHC head on it.
    It's a NA 4G63. So you're saying this wont work for turboing?

it will but cams and compression are different

You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

It will work, but Id rather turbo a stock NA 4g64 then a stock NA 4g63. If I were you, I would just build up a 2.4L DOHC and turbo it. I wouldnt spend a ton of money on a NA 4g63 motor.
    7g for life!

It will work, but Id rather turbo a stock NA 4g64 then a stock NA 4g63. If I were you, I would just build up a 2.4L DOHC and turbo it. I wouldnt spend a ton of money on a NA 4g63 motor.
    Seth, please give me the pros and cons.

short version is that the 64 can make more power. at least a shit load more torque

the internals are about the same as the 64

4g63 N/A
    136 hp
    13* tq

4g64 N/A
    141 hp
    146 tq

the 64 will yeild more power. i would recommend what seth said and wich is what i am doing. put the 63 head on the 64 block!

They are similar blocks, neither have the oil squirters that a 2g block have. But if your going to build an NA motor to be a turbo motor, may as well start with .4 more L of displacement.
    7g for life!

They are similar blocks, neither have the oil squirters that a 2g block have. But if your going to build an NA motor to be a turbo motor, may as well start with .4 more L of displacement.
    Which would make sence since you were talking about stoking the NA motor. More oil to the pistons means better protection when you increase the boost.

Yes you can modify your current harness which is the tedious part. When i said pull the wire harness, i meant so you would have all the connectors in tact, from ecu to plug which makes installation easier.

In my opinion, i say drop in the 63 in turbo it, but don't build it. Figure out all your wiring bugs. Get used to tweaking that set up, while building the 64 with your pistons, rods, cams, 16g, dohc, blah blah and then drop that in.

Does it matter if I get a turbo ECU from a Talon or an Eclipse?

don't think it matters. but it does depend on if you want to stay OBD1 or go OBD2 for what year ECU you will want to buy. I went with the 95 Eprom ECU, but i had to convert to OBD2 to do it. I know DOHCstuner originally just stayed OBD1 and added a 1g ecu. so you have options.

Today I started to take the engine apart. I am trying to go a little slow, take my time and document things that I have questions about. I need to know what these various sensors are.

Like this one. What is this?

I see the coil pack, what are the others for.

And these as well.

the sensor above the coilpack is your crank position sensor. Youre saying youre OBD1 so you cant plug this sensor anywhere in your current harness.

The other two sensors are temperature sensors - one for the gauge, one for the fan. You have then on your GAlant, but the thermostat housing looks a lil different
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Deconstruction

Started some more deconstruction of the engine today, and when I took off the waterpump, I came across this. This don't look good. Are there supposed to be two wholes here? If not, can this be repaired?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast