The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Pogigreg's 7G Turbo Project

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 61
    You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    1. CAS = Cam angle sensor. This sensor tells the ECU the RPM and spark signals.
    2. Left plug is the power transistor. Right plug is connects the coilpacks to the engine harness
    3. Sensors on the thermostat, I only used one ofthem, believe it was the one on the right for the water temp sensor on the gauge cluster.
    4. The holes behind the waterpump look normal to me. The pump has to be able to pump the coolant throughout the block.
    7g for life!

Engine Harness

I am planning on going and getting the engine harness from the donor car. Do I really need it?

Today, I tool the head off. Now, I am preparing the block to go to the machine shop. Going in will be forged JE .020 pistons with 9:1 compression, and the machine shop will hone the cylinders and balance the crank.

I also got my cylclone intake today. Everything is coming in.

Also went on Summit Racing and got some ARP Head Bolts.

My build is still in the beginning stages. I am shooting for a Labor Day finish.

nice!

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

wow taking it to the next level 8)

While my block and head are at the machine shop, I am trying to find a engine wire harness, and ECU. Since I am keeping my car automatic, is there any difference between ECU's out of an Automatic and a Standard? Also, would this harness work for me?

LINK

no, you need one from a turbo

You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

I don't know if you're going for a 1g or 2g wiring setup, but this guy is selling a 2g harness set.

http://www.dsmsource.com/classifieds...=34117&cat=all
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

Today, I spent the afternoon and the Pick-a-part, and I got my harness. Pulling that harness was a major PITA. The car was a 92 GS, according to the badging. But I am curious about something. The car had the factory body moldings of a Turbo. The speedometer, had a boost gauge on it. Could this have been a rare GS turbo? The engine was definately not a turbo, just a DOHC 4G63. It got me wondering, perhaps the original owner had a turbo failure and couldn't afford to replace the turbo, so the dealer or shop just made it N/A. I really don't know. Any ideas on that? Anways, here are some pics of the harness. All I need now is the ECU, and 6 bolt flex plate off the transmission. That is for next weekend.

have fun with the rewire.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

project looks nice
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    i know a guy that saw a guy that knew a guy that once passed by a car that had been painted. Ill ask him tomorrow after consulting my magic ball to determine WHERE YOU LIVE in proximity to a paint shop NEAR WHERE YOU LIVE..................

Today I got my Evo 9 pistons, and I compared one of the pistons side by side with the stock 4G63 piston. What would be the advantage of the Evo 9 pistons. What I can see is the Evo pistons are aluminum.

Last edited by PogiGreg; 07-16-2008 at 06:44 PM

this is coming along nicely

Quote Originally Posted by PogiGreg View Post
    Today I got my Evo 9 pistons, and I compared one of the pistons side by side with the stock 4G63 piston. What would be the advantage of the Evo 9 pistons. What I can see is the Evo pistons are aluminum.
    The Evo's are 9:1 compression and you are correct in your observations. It is a aluminum piston meaning it is lighter.

BTW I thought you were running .020 over JE pistons?

Also I think it is better to start off with a NA block if you are building an engine. NA block see much less stress than the turbo blocks and when you are using a forged piston the oil squirters become unnecessary unless you are pushing the motor nonstop as in a circuit race or autocross.
    Last edited by Lasthope05; 08-01-2008 at 02:27 PM

The pistons are actually 8.8:1 just a little lighter. I decided against the forged pistons because I felt it was a little overkill, and I didn't want to spend that much, since these pistons only cost me $60. I go to get my engine from the machine shop next week. I had it hot tanked and honed. The head I had a valve job done.

Next step is to rebuild the transmission, and replace the torque converter.

New 16g turbo care of Turbocharger.com here in Houston. Everything is coming together. I will post pics when I pic up the engine next week.

Ok, went to the Junkyard, again today, (my weekly therapy session ). I found the valve cover that I've been looking for on a 94 Ecipse GST.

I was almost going to get it on Ebay. I got the "Mitsubishi" one.Well I didn't stop there, I went ahead and looked to see if the ECU was there. After getting into it, I found the ECU there, and guess what??!! It's another Eprom!!! So I went ahead and got it . Once I got it home and compared the two, the connections are different. I haven't gotten into my 7G yet, but which ECU will I need? What are the differences between the two of them?

The first pic is the ECU I got out of a 95 GSX Automatic.

These pics are from the 94 GST 5-speed.

As you can see the connections are clearly different. What does the 7G have? Which is the better one to use? Will they both work?
    Last edited by PogiGreg; 08-02-2008 at 06:05 PM

It depends on what year your galant is. 94 -95 are OBD1 and they use 3 plug ECUs, or the secont one on your pics/94 GST/. 96-97 Galants are OBD2 and they have 4 plug ECUs, or the 95 GSX ECU. If you have 94-95 Galant and wanna use 95 GSX ECU, then you need to convert the Galant to OBD2, or just play with the 94 GST ECU.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

botht he 1g and the 7Ga have three plugs yes..... but they are nothing alike.

count on completely rewiring your harness. thats what i did.

yes... thats a 72 pin harness you have to cut with a set of snips.

then resolder to the eclipse plugs.....

All kinds of fun.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    botht he 1g and the 7Ga have three plugs yes..... but they are nothing alike.

count on completely rewiring your harness. thats what i did.

yes... thats a 72 pin harness you have to cut with a set of snips.

then resolder to the eclipse plugs.....

All kinds of fun.

I've ready where some have done this swap without doing a complete harness change, and they only wired in the sensors they needed like the the CAS. Is is absloutely necessary do do the complete wire harness? Even BlueIce told me I can keep my existing harness and do some additional wiring. Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by PogiGreg View Post
    I've ready where some have done this swap without doing a complete harness change, and they only wired in the sensors they needed like the the CAS. Is is absloutely necessary do do the complete wire harness? Even BlueIce told me I can keep my existing harness and do some additional wiring. Just wondering.

if you have a 97-98 wiring is very easy

94-96 takes alot more work. either way you keep your harness and just add on bits from the donor one.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast