The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: water leak in front passenger side (AC ??)

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

water leak in front passenger side (AC ??)

when ever i run my AC i have water leaking in the front under the glove box. i know, i know, there are many posts on this subject but, im having a hard time relating to them. i read one and it said that my "EVAP DRAIN", on the outside firewall on the driverside, could be clogged. i checked it out where it was said i was located, and found nothing. i guess it was suppose to be a small rubber nub like thing sticking out. all i felt was a tube like thing, about the size of a dime, sticking out about 1 cenimeter behind the rear engine mount. IS MY DRAIN MISSING???. i also took it in to the shop and they told me it could be my HEATING CORE???. i picked up a HAYES manual and found that i'd have to take out my whole dash board. hence the cost of the labor they were going to charge me at the shop. $1500 to change the core!!!! so can any1 please help me out before i have the shop go in and rip out my dash and replace the heating core just to fix the water leak.?????

looking in from the driver side towards the firewall.

this is were my hands got dirty squezzing my finger between the hockey puck shape engine mount and the firewall were i felt the small tube shape thing sticking out where i thought my "EVAP DRAIN" would be.

Always looking to make my life better, and then my car!

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Yes dude that is your drain plug. If the liquid on your passenger side is coolant then yes you will need to replace the heater core, they cost about $90 at the dealer and takes me about 4 hours to replace. Couple of days for someone that has never done it. Have to take out the dash, drop the steering wheel column, that steel bar that runs across and other crap, like loosen the wire harness off that steel bar and pull it back, not hard but a lot of stuff to take off.
    If the liquid is just water, then you are lucky dude, just take an air hose and blow inside that dime size hole to unclog it.

This is what t looks like while in the process of replacing the heater core. See that square box?? The core is behind that.

is this the square box you are talking bout?? right under the glove box. theres only water dripping out the edges of the box. no colored stuff just water. oh and is there suppose to be a rubber drain there on the fire wall?? how imporant is it to have?? plus, i dont think im going to be able to fit an air hose into that area. the line would most likely bend. what if i were to use a thin wire clearer and push it thru??? where would clog end up in?? and dam man that looks like alotta work just for a small peice as the heater core. so is there any other tells that my heater core could be bad???? other then the coolant dripping into the passenger side.

is this the box??

there is only water dripping out. no coolant. or any other kind of colored liquid.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Pretty sure you need a cabin air filter.. Every time you turn or make hard movements with the car do you hear the water splashing around?

If you turn on the heat and hot air comes out of the vents, then I'm sure your heater core is fine. It's got to be the drain that's plugged. I've been through the same thing.

thats where the water was coming out of mine also. the 1 cm nub you found is the drain. see if you can shoot some compressed air up that nub and watch like a quart of liquid come out!

your 2nd pic is a little blurry but it looked like you circled a bolt, not a nub. but it is right behind the rear motor mount. up against the firewall.

heres a clearer pic. you cant see it but its right at the end of the arrow. i got my friend coming over in little bit with his air compresser and we gonna try to blow it out. but i was talking to him and asked him about another problem i got. i asked why he thought my car was allway smelling like burnt coolant?? he said it might be the heating core?? but he really dont know too much. could that be another sign that the core is bad. cause like i said i dont have any coolant dripping out. plus i havnt ran the a/c since it started leaking. (i dont want to have to clean up the mess again). but so far, since i havnt been running it, i havnt had any leaks, and i checked the heat, turned it all the way up, and that works fine, no leaks. just when i have the A/C on. but lt smells like burnt coolant from the engine all the time now. my heat gauge in the dash slows its not over heating, my coolant level is fine, there are no leaks from the hose, so could this be the Heating Core or do i need a new thermostat??

i took this in more light.is this the spot. i dont want to blow air in some where i shouldnt be. and if it is, should water start coming out right away??

yes, that is the spot

okay i did it. sorry its been a while but i havent had the water leak in a long time now. i used a 150 psi compesser and got it unclogged. but now my only question is, what happened to the clog?? where did the air push it thru into?? but here are the pics i took while doing so.

the compesser i used. the extension was way to big to fit into that tight area between the fire wall and the engine mount. so i bought some rubber tubeing and feed it thru.

this is where i fead it thru.

this is the extention

since then about a month ago it hasnt been leaking.
    now i gotta start working on the other problems i got wrong with it.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    well i brought mine to a shop to have them drain it, cost me $80 but they sucked water out that was built up so much that it wouldnt drain from where it was

thats most likely your prob is to drain that. my water leaked from where yours did

edit: missed the last post, you might want to check the water that im talked about, they sucked it out of where the cabin air filter is

i did not know there was a cabin air filter in the 8g, where is it located?
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

behind the glove box

Quote Originally Posted by Ravyn View Post
    behind the glove box
    Only on 99 - 01. 02 & 03 don't have a cabin filter.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishboy55 View Post
    Only on 99 - 01. 02 & 03 don't have a cabin filter.
    thanks... I just had this issue last night.... and if it wasent for this thread it would of taken me forever to figure out where the ac drained from... This is why I love TGC so much....
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights