The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Is freon comparable to NO2

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    TGC Regular

Is freon comparable to NO2

I over heard a guy is the store the other day saying that his business was burglarized a few days ago for nitrous and freon. He was saying it was because young racers, were using it in their cars. Now I now nitrous is used for this, but can freon or any other refridgant gas also be used in this way?

Freon isn't flammable, so I can't imagine why anyone would spray it, unless it does something to cool down the intake. But it dissipates so fast under heat, I can't imagine how it would be beneficial.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Depends on which freon he had. I was under the impression that the old R12 freon can fetch a lot of money on the black market. I wouldn't see a use for the new stuff, R-134, by racers. Real racers don't even have AC units in their cars because they would have been removed for weight reduction. But then again, if they were just some young punks, who knows what they were going to do with it.

They could have stolen the freon to break into other cars or places. Use the freon to freeze the lock and break it.

Jason

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

Nick VR4
    They proberbly thought it was NOS
    Or
    There upgrading there AC units

The name Freon is a trademark registered by the EI du Pont de Nemours & Company
    Any of several chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) that are used in commerce and industry. The CFCs are a group of aliphatic organic compounds containing the elements carbon and fluorine and, in many cases, other halogens (especially chlorine) and hydrogen. The name Freon is a trademark registered by the E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company.

The Freon is colourless, odourless, nonflammable, non-corrosive gases or liquids of low toxicity that were introduced as refrigerants in the 1930s; they also proved useful as propellants for aerosols and in numerous technical applications. Their low boiling points, low surface tension, and low viscosity make them especially useful refrigerants. The presence of fluorine atoms in Freon molecules makes them extremely stable, inert compounds that are entirely harmless to humans. The Freons neither present a fire hazard nor give off a detectable odour in their circulation through refrigerating and air-conditioning systems. The most important members of the group have been dichlorodifluoromethane (Freon 12), trichlorofluoromethane (Freon 11), chlorodifluoromethane (Freon 22), dichlorotetrafluoroethane (Freon 114), and trichlorotrifluoroethane (Freon 113).

D03GTZ
    One could also use it to controllably freeze their intake piping to lower incoming air temps. Theoretically it would work the same as putting ice bags on intake plenums before racing. This has been done for years at race tracks.

1166gvr4
    The kids that stole it are FUC*ing idiots unless its r12. This can fetch a pretty penny commies like to make bombs out of it muaaaaahahaha. R134 a has no use it disapates too fast to be sprayed on a fmic or likewise they use n2o for that and if they get caught spraying r134 into the atmosphere my old buddies at osha will give you a nice 100000 dollar ticket after your ass gets out of jail, And if they were to leak into your car and you light up your fat doobie or cig well kiss your sorry ass goodbye it would be like taking a huge hit of commercial grade co2 in other words you will die, it will suck the air out of you causing death

Quote Originally Posted by Fishboy55
    Freon isn't flammable, so I can't imagine why anyone would spray it
    Neither is nitrous oxide.

Freon probably couldn't be used to cool down the intake, it needs to be pressurized and passed through a heat exchanger in order to become cold. You could rig up some butt-fuck way of doing it, I'm sure, but it wouldn't be worth it. I'd bet it's just what everyone else is saying...there's some new R12 on the market. One of those 30lb bottles (Like the kind you get gas in for a gas grill) of R12 goes for about $450 or so, I think.

j686m
    well the freon in a storage tank is pressurized, and if allowed to escape it would be very cold just from being allowed to expand, anyone who has accidentally puncured an A/C line and come in contact with escaping freon knows how cold that is. probably was R12 because it not only hard to find, its extremely expensive. either that or they were a bunch of feins and were tryin to huff it

ken inn
    the reason the freon was stolen is because it has skyrocketed. used to be about 60 bucks for a 30 lb container, now if you are lucky, you can find it for 300/30lb. lots of places dont carry it anymore, because of the short supply, and the unstable price. word is that by summer, it will cost more than r12. lots of shops are just now finding this out.