The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: I searched, but couldn't find an answer. Engine swap

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    skippy969

I searched, but couldn't find an answer. Engine swap

I have a 2001 Galant ES V6. The transmission is shot. I also have a 2000 Galant ES I4. The 2000 was in an accident, and the side is messed up, but the engine and transmission are good. How hard would it be to take the 4 cylinder engine and transmission from the 2000 and put it in the 2001? Since I have a parts car, will it be as difficult as everyone says?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    depending on how bad the side is messed up, it might be easier to replace the damaged body parts on the 2000 with the good ones from the 2001.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

yea deff swap out good parts for the bad it will be alot easier and way less headaches!
    If you don't got the pocket, then don't try and rock it

Or I'd just pick up a V6 trans, and part out the I4. Depends what you want to end up with (I4 or V6) and the condition of the I4.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    It will be difficult because the 01 is a V6 and the 2000 is a I4. Motormounts are different, exhaust, you'll need the ECU from a V6, wire harness and other parts just to do the swap and it's not even worth it. It will be cheaper to just buy another transmission for that V6

skippy969
    How hard is it to replace the transmission? I don't have a lift to pick up the whole car, but I have one that will lift the front about 3 feet. Its one of those air jacks that has "arms" that go out to the sides. I have been working on cars and trucks for 10+ years, I have replaced engines and transmissions in chevy trucks, but have not done anything like that on a Mitsubishi, or any front wheel drive. If it's not to bad of a job, I wouldn't mind doing it myself and save some money.

some people have completed transmission swaps on jackstands with no problem. I guess it depends how big you are.

And yes, it would be a PITA to swap that I4 into the V6.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I always thought that the i4 and v6 mounting locations were the same. Anyone have engine bay comparison pics? Probably have to swap the crossmember, but I bet the motor mount and the top trans mount are the same.
    7g for life!

skippy969
    I have looked around at different places for transmissions, and the prices vary. At a junkyard they are anywhere from $650-$1200. Rebuilt ones are about $1600. If the pump is the problem, would it be cheaper to just replace the pump? I have read that my problem is either the pump or the torque converter. The transmission acts like neutral in any gear (except park) when you put it in R,D,2,1 you can hear the engine idle down, I assume that is normal since any other car I have driven does that. The fluid is perfect as far as color and smell, but it is about an inch or so above the hot line. I bought the car from my cousin and he said he was driving down the road and all of a sudden the RPMs went up and the car wouldn't move. He had the transmission fluid replaced about 2 months before this happened, but not by Mitsubishi, it was a Goodyear shop that does oil changes, tune ups, etc. It also had fault codes for the shift solenoid C and D malfunction. Is there any way to test the pump with out pulling the transmission? Also, when the engine is running, no matter what gear there is a ticking sound coming from the bell housing, it is not lifter tick, it does not change sounds with higher RPMs, and it is not a repeated ticking, sounds like something inside the torque converter bouncing around.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    That sounds like your torque converter took a crap on you dude. Motor mounts are different in a V6 and he would also need the Harness, computer, Gauge cluster from a V6 or vice verse.

skippy969
    I hope its the torque converter. Is there any other way to diagnose with out pulling the transmission? Also, I just checked the resistance on the shift solenoids and the meter doesn't even move. Does that mean the solenoids are bad too?