The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Specific tool

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

Specific tool

Hey guy's

Whats up?

im about to replace my clutch. This is the very first repair job i ever done on my G or any other machine bigger than a Bicycle.
    im just looking for the name of the tool to check the torqeue on the screws.
    Also any advice would be well appreciated as im fixing it myself for lack of cash and dont wanna end breaking some shit thats gonna cost me.

cheers boys.

..torque wrench idk
    04 Maxima SL in Bronze with Black leather

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    You're a tool but yes it's called a torque wrench..

Sweet, you guys are fast.

i need a sig

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Post some pics up in the PS thread..

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    you don't have a 5 speed do you?

yeah thats what i got

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beam514 View Post
    you don't have a 5 speed do you?

Please tell me youre being sarcastic........................... Anywho. My only words of advice are. Use the clutch alignment tool. Make sure you tighten the bolts to the pressure plate (6 12mm bolts) in a cross pattern to ensure proper clutch seating. Remove like 6 bolts pull the tranny a little outward to get the clutch off of the input shaft then lower it whenever u feel its off. Make sure you do not force the tranny to get it to lign up on the splines when you re-install it. If you fuck those splines on the clutch up youre gonna be catching hell. Make sure its seated properly before you start to tighten the tranny bolts to the block. Other then that i think youll be ok. Just dont drop it on yourself it weighs about 90 lbs so it would kinda hurt............

Nah man i mean it, i got the confidence , gonna see if i got the skill now.

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow19 View Post
    Please tell me youre being sarcastic
    well i assumed someone that had done the 5 speed swap would know what a torque wrench is? or at least used one before

Also I think some people mistakingly think there is a clutch in automatics similar to those in manuals

EDIT: damn I didn't find out til now that he isn't in the US
    Last edited by beam514; 06-19-2008 at 02:12 PM

No swap done here man, im irish i got a standard 4cl 2L G.... For now, theres a sweet legnum up for sale near me for about equilent $7000

Hey im gonna take some pics and do like a Newbie tutorial, hopefully itll be a how-to and not a how no to do

anyone know what size the screws are im goin out to get some ramps and tools tomorrow and i cant find the screw size in my haynes manual

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    I didn't see you mentioned anything about your flywheel. I would either get a lighter flywheel or at least resurface the current flywheel while you are replacing the clutch. I would also invest in new flywheel bolts and loctight them and torque them to specs.

I would also go ahead and replace the shift fork too as they "bend" through time.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Thanks man i found what iwas lookin for also. What Difference would i see if i got a lightweight flywheel

ok just read abit about shitf fork, not gonna need to get technical with the gearbox am i? it was replaced about 2 years ago now anyhow?