The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Antifreeze smell, water pump or change antifreeze?

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Antifreeze smell, water pump or change antifreeze?

hey so after i take my car for a drive, and its a 5spd and I shift around 5,000 rpms or so, so i run the engine good......when i get out I always smell antifreeze, now I have never changed the anitfreeze even though it is green, but I have replaced the waterpump within 2 yrs and only driven it about 2,000 mi with the new one. Could this be that the water pump is going or i just need to change my antifreeze? :smt023
    KYB Adjustable Shocks & Struts
    Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
    NGK Plugs & Wires
    Proline 240 amp alternator
    Short Shifter 5spd
    Excedy Organic Stage 2 Racing Clutch
    Huge SunRoof Installed
    Drag DR-8 Black/Chrome 17x7 Rims
    VR4 Headlights & Taillights

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Is anything leaking? Park the car after driving it for a while and look underneath..

no the car leaks nothing, the only thing its ever done is spray under the hood a bit where the over flow tank is because there was a crack in the cap that covers the overflow tank so I just sealed it and now its fine, just smells outside the car after I drive it, I was thinking maybe the thermostat? Car also has small amt of heat coming out of the vents when I drive it on a hot day, maybe a relation with the other problem but not sure....
    Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
    NGK Plugs & Wires
    Short Shifter 5spd
    Huge SunRoof Installed

You've got a pressure leak...the system only leaks when it's under high pressure so if you let it sit, nothing drips. Check all your clamps if you have any of those shitty mitsu factory clamps replace them. also look for dried antifreeze around all connections to the water jacket. Finally make sure the hose from the radiator cap to your overflow bottle isn't clogged. If all that checks good, replace the radiator cap.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

wash the engine bay. if your car sprayed antifreeze everywhere thats what you probably still smell.

i'd probably change the coolant too since you don't know when it was last changed.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

ok i will check all hoses/clamps, and change radiator cap just to be safe, any suggestions on cap...i know a lot of aftermarket/universal stuff craps the bed so should i go oem or just order from advanced auto? as for washing the engine bay, ive never done it, i always thought you could damage your car if you spray down the engine, am i wrong? when i change the antifreeze i just take out the plug on the bottom, drain it and then flush it with a hose for a few minutes right? and then i fill it with 50/50 antifreeze right? thanks again guys ur a life saver with all the problems ive come across with my G:smt003
    Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
    NGK Plugs & Wires
    Short Shifter 5spd
    Huge SunRoof Installed

Proto
    Take the plug out of bottom of the radiator. Flush for 5-10 mins with waterhose and let all the water drain out. Then refill with 50/50 which normally takes about a gallon and a half. Replace the radiator cap with a new one from any auto parts store (I just had this problem causing mine to run hot). If you aren't running hot then I wouldn't worry about the thermostat.

i would do the rad drain and refill twice... that way the dirty fluid in the block gets dumped as well
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights