The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Wiring radio

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 46

Wiring radio

Hey guys, I just got my Gallant and it didnt have a radio with it. I tried searching for a wiring diagram and maybe I am just handicapped but I couldnt find one. Every thread that I have read so far has said to use the adaptor which I would love to do however the old radio that was in the car was just cut at the harness. So if anyone could help me out it would be appeciated. Thanks for the help

Experienced TGC Member ZigenScarface's Avatar
    if u wanna wait till 8 when i get outa work i can give u every wire color

Thanks for the help. I hooked up the 12V side of things to see if I could get the radio to turn on but I got nothing. I have a 1994 Galant and the fuse box on the inside is missing the cover so I have no idea what fuses go to what. If someone would let me know what the radio fuse is it would be greatly appreciated. I also seem to have some additonal wires like a green with a black stripe and I dont seem to have a black with a black stripe which I would think would be just all black. I do however have a black with a blue stripe. I knew I should have brought the electrical meter home from work. Thanks again for the help.

Just buy a wiring harness. I'm guessing that the radio connection cable is still in there. The harness will take all the guesswork out and you won't have to cut any of the cars wiring.
    sig too big

I would have used the stock radio harness but it was actually cut further down from orginal harness. The moral of the story is I am just I am just retarted. After posting about not being able to get the radio to turn on I realized that it would help if I grounded it...imagine that after I hooked up the ground everything came on. Still had 2 wires that didnt seem to go to anything but all of the speakers work and the head unit works. Made the drive to work this morning much more enjoyable.

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eros8201 View Post
    I would have used the stock radio harness but it was actually cut further down from orginal harness. The moral of the story is I am just I am just retarted. After posting about not being able to get the radio to turn on I realized that it would help if I grounded it...imagine that after I hooked up the ground everything came on. Still had 2 wires that didnt seem to go to anything but all of the speakers work and the head unit works. Made the drive to work this morning much more enjoyable.
    they were probably dimmer/illumination wires, amp turn on lead, and/or power antenna lead

JoshTheCash
    Sort of relevant question...

When replacing a head unit in my Galant... do i have to bypass my factory amp?

if i don't have to will there be any lost sound quality or what.

If you go from a stock head to an aftermarket head, you can go down to best buy and get an adapter and still use your stock amp. On the back of the stock head there will be a five or six prong cable, the new adapter plugs into that and has 4 RCAs(FR,FL,RR,RL) and an amp turnon wire. Plug those RCAs into your new deck and connect the amp turnon wires. The adapter set also has a new wire harness. plug it in onto the existing one. off of that all you need to connect is the Power, ACC, and another one i cnt remember. the groud out the deck and your done. The RCAs run though the amp to the speakers so youll still be using the amp

I use the stock amp with my aftermarket and have no problems with it. Crutchfield sells an adapter for it as well.
    sig too big

i had to do the same few days ago, my radio got stolen and the harness ripped out.

I spent hours trying to figure out the wiring. I'll post the diagram once i get home.

- If you've got nothing nice to say, what the hell is wrong with you!?!

Radio Constant 12V+ Wire: Red/Black
    Radio Switched 12V+ Wire: Blue
    Radio Ground Wire: Chassis
    Radio Illumination Wire: Green/White
    Dimmer Wire: Black/Yellow
    Antenna Trigger Wire: White/Black
    Front Speaker Size: 3 1/2″
    Front Speaker Location: Dash
    Left Front Speaker Wire (+): White/Blue
    Left Front Speaker Wire (-): Black/Blue
    Right Front Speaker Wire (+): White/Red
    Right Front Speaker Wire (-): Black/Red
    Rear Speaker Size: 6 1/2″
    Rear Speaker Location: Rear Deck
    Left Rear Speaker Wire (+): Yellow/Blue
    Left Rear Speaker Wire (-): Gray/Blue
    Right Rear Speaker Wire (+): Yellow/Red
    Right Rear Speaker Wire (-): Gray/Red

- If you've got nothing nice to say, what the hell is wrong with you!?!

rocgalant
    Can I use the 12v ignition/switched wire and splice a remote turn-on lead wire for my amp to this? I have a 09 Galant with the standard (non rockford fosgate) system. Thanks!

TGC Regular
    Glad I found this thread. I got to do a rewire job on the newer of the 2 G's. But something I just thought about after all these years of owning my other G and replacing the HU several times. I've always a ground wire that I installed, but how the hell is the stock HU grounded? I know some units get there ground from the antenna, but I know this ain't the case on our cars.

rocgalant
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGMONEYDAY View Post
    but how the hell is the stock HU grounded? I know some units get there ground from the antenna, but I know this ain't the case on our cars.
    My radio is grounded to the chassis but I have a 9g.

Quote Originally Posted by rocgalant View Post
    My radio is grounded to the chassis but I have a 9g.
    that is how almost all mitsu's are ground. eclipses, galants, outlanders, etc.

Glad I found this thread. I got to do a rewire job on the newer of the 2 G's. But something I just thought about after all these years of owning my other G and replacing the HU several times. I've always a ground wire that I installed, but how the hell is the stock HU grounded? I know some units get there ground from the antenna, but I know this ain't the case on our cars.
    if you have an 8g, install the ground wire to one of the 10mm bolts behind the radio slot.

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fliegendaffe View Post
    if you have an 8g, install the ground wire to one of the 10mm bolts behind the radio slot.
    Yeah, I know that part about running a ground to one of the bolts in the back. This is what I have been doing since '99. I was just wondering how is the stock radio receiving a ground through the stock harness. All radios have to have a ground to work and wanted to know how this was happening for the factory radio.

Yeah, I know that part about running a ground to one of the bolts in the back. This is what I have been doing since '99. I was just wondering how is the stock radio receiving a ground through the stock harness. All radios have to have a ground to work and wanted to know how this was happening for the factory radio.
    nope, the metal brackets that attach to the side of the radio which then is secured in via a 10mm

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    I hate when people cut the stock harness.. Sigh..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast