The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Installing Super VR4 skirts

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19
    Banned

Installing Super VR4 skirts

i've searched but cannot find any tutorial or discussion on how to install these. I cant seem to get the part of the skirt that slides into the lower door gutter as the doors themselves keep getting in the way..even wide open. Seems like the only way is to remove the doors, but i dont want to remove the doors because but I really dont want to take it to a shop unless i absolutely have to.

can anyone with super vr4 sides or knowledge on this offer any help...
    Last edited by platano; 06-21-2008 at 05:57 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Im not sure how to describe it, but I will try....

image if you were looking at the side skirt from the end, the part that slides in the door jamb looks something like this...

please bear with me as I can only do it with the characters on the key board, imagine the line was continuous without the breaks

***EDIT*** nevermind my drawing because the form automatically aligns it left, it doesnt look right

__
    __i
    i

you woud want to cut out the top "sideways V shape" so you just has one 90 degree bend that goes over the rocker panel inside the door jamb.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

i have new style sides, i made this for another member hopefully this is what your looking for.

00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

Banned
    thanks man that video helped a lot.
    and thanks stewi for your imput too.
    Last edited by platano; 06-21-2008 at 10:58 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Here are some photos to hopefully help you. Pretty much you cut off all that lip and keep the first 90 degree turn.

THIS PIECE YOU CUT AWAY

THIS PIECE YOU KEEP

Banned
    as naturally expected; these sides are a little short on the ends.

but problem..

I believe jdm skirts are made of abs plastic or some flexible material...but this skirt is made of FG, and we know FG is not flexible. I didnt think this skirt was FG when i ordered it, but soon realized it was FG when i opened the box. Now, I tried working with this FG but this is looking bleak. *Twiddling thumbs*
    Last edited by platano; 06-22-2008 at 12:44 AM

do you have a pic of these sides? Ive never seen fiberglass jdm sides
    13 GTR

Quote Originally Posted by IceDouTGaLanT View Post
    do you have a pic of these sides? Ive never seen fiberglass jdm sides

Fatal1 also has FG new style side skirts dude.

oh yea? learn something new everyday..
    13 GTR

Banned
    they look like they were fiberglassed pretty well though. i'll take a pic and post it soon as i get a chance..

my super vr4 sides are FG. had to trim mine to fit

Banned
    these are the FG ones...

Last edited by platano; 06-22-2008 at 12:17 PM

I had the same skirts in fiberglass, but mine only needed some trimming and they fit fine. The length was perfect. They are the ones in my sig.

Banned
    where exactly did you trim then?? because i trimmed both front and rear end of the skirts but they still fall a little short on the edges and i dont see how you got them to fit over the fenders without something cracking because they are not flexible. :(

Quote Originally Posted by platano View Post
    where exactly did you trim then?? because i trimmed both front and rear end of the skirts but they still fall a little short on the edges and i dont see how you got them to fit over the fenders without something cracking because they are not flexible. :(
    Well, my guess is that whoever made the ones you got made them from a crappy mold. The only trimming that was done was to the top so they would fit under the doors. You don't have to do the same extensive trimming on these as you do for the '98+ VR-4 side skirts that Raz posted. As far as the length issue you have, the only thing you can do is cut the skirts and add some length to them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger DANJ View Post
    the only thing you can do is cut the skirts and add some length to them.
    looks like thats what i'm gonna have to do. but then again, i cant even find a bodyshop around here that installs kits. guess i'm gonna just have to buy some other skirts.
    Last edited by platano; 06-24-2008 at 11:54 AM

Any good body shop should and will install these. It doesn't have to be a body kit shop. They will figure out how to make them fit for you. Go around and get some quotes dude. Don't give up yet. It will be worth it in the end.

yeah seriously dude dont give up......if I gave up on my lip and someone else did it i would be so sad seeing what my car could have looked like. Its all worth it in the end
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

its amazing how helpfull you guys are. glad to be here!!:)