The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: rubbing.....:(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 23

rubbing.....:(

I just put on some 18x8's +40 with 225/40 tires. I'm lowered with Tein's and KYB GR2's and I got an alignment and my camber fixed and everything. Nothing rubs under normal driving conditions or just going straight, but when I turn over 30 mph, whatever wheel is opposite the turn in front rubs. Also, going over moderate bumps, my rear rubs. I know I can roll the fenders, but I don't know if I want to do that. And I saw someone say something about trimming. What exactly is that and will it expose the metal in the wheel well? Also, could I just take off all that plastic that's in the wheel well???
    '03
    rockin' the DE

rolling your fenders is not a big deal as long as you find someone who can do it without damaging the paint.

i dont understand what you mean by exposing the metal in the wheel wells. they are always exposed to rain/water/etc.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

cutting will lead to the area being more flimsy making it harder to stay straight right there
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

yeah like the above said. it's really easy to roll fenders if done properly with the fender roller. I had a meet at my house a few years back and we rolled fenders. I rented it from rollyourfenders.com . Also most tire shops should have a fender roller as well as possibly body shops. As far as cutting, you will need to repaint that area also as you will have bare metal. I believe Reelax cut his but I am not positive
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

if you are rubbing in the front, jack up the front and take off the wheel. the plastic is soft enough that it will wear down wherever you're rubbing. i wouldn't even bother cutting the plastic away, just let the wheel wear down what it needs to. i would just make sure that there isn't anything behind the plastic that might get damaged or might damage the wheel.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

maybe i wasn't clear enough, but what i was thinking when i said cutting was the plastic guards that are around the inside of the wheel well. would it be bad to trim/take off those pieces?
    '03
    rockin' the DE

pics would help
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

Quote Originally Posted by 03_silver_8g View Post
    maybe i wasn't clear enough, but what i was thinking when i said cutting was the plastic guards that are around the inside of the wheel well. would it be bad to trim/take off those pieces?
    If you remove the front ones. you expose your main wiring harness to any water, grease, road dirt, etc. not a good idea. chances are if you're rubbing the plastic, you're rubbing the fender, as the plastic is higher than the fender lip. Either change tire sizes or roll your fenders. Cutting anything under the fender just isn't a good idea. Rolling the fenders is a clean easy way to solve your problem. I was at the meet Jay is referring to. It takes time and patience, but works well and maintains the integrity of the sheet metal.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Yup, I agree roll the fenders. Much nicer, easier, and like Chip said it keeps the structural integrity of the vehicle intact. Plus you are a lot less likely to accidentally cut through the rear quarter panel, considering you are using heat and a blunt object. And its not rubbing the plastic, it is more than likely rubbing where all these cars rub with that fitment, on the metal fender lip underneath. Run your finger along the inner side of the rear and you will see exactly what I'm talking about. I have 19x8 +40mm and I rubbed at the exact same spot until I rolled the fenders.

it's not rubbing on the metal...it's rubbing on the plastic. there's plenty of clearance on the top in the front. i'll admit that i need to roll the fenders in back, but up front its rubbing on the inside when i turn. i'll try to post some pics today.
    '03
    rockin' the DE

Quote Originally Posted by 03_silver_8g View Post
    it's not rubbing on the metal...it's rubbing on the plastic. there's plenty of clearance on the top in the front. i'll admit that i need to roll the fenders in back, but up front its rubbing on the inside when i turn. i'll try to post some pics today.
    Wow, I'm surprised its rubbing in front. Especially considering I have wider tires on mine with the same offset and width.

Are you sure they are a +40mm offset?

my rear tires definatly rub that fender lip (1/4" of fender inside) and every so often in the front with 17's. When you talk about rolling the fenders, is this simply bending that lip up inside the wheel well?
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L 4G64 */* !!NEW!! 03 Honda CBR F4i
    * a little done -*- more to come *
    My Dual Halo H3 Projector Project

Quote Originally Posted by airborneparainf82 View Post
    my rear tires definatly rub that fender lip (1/4" of fender inside) and every so often in the front with 17's. When you talk about rolling the fenders, is this simply bending that lip up inside the wheel well?
    Yes, make sure you do it with a little heat as not to crack the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Yes, make sure you do it with a little heat as not to crack the paint.
    Your best bet is to rent a fender roller. It can be done with a baseball bat, but a fender roller applies a constant pressure in the right places based on your wheel height and diameter. As Dave said, when using the tool, work in conjunction with a heat gun and you'll have no issues.
    Last edited by Fishboy55; 06-24-2008 at 05:37 AM
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

ok, well I'm going to be taking my car to get the camber kit put on and get aligned so I'll see if they are able to do that there. If they can, they should know about using a heat gun I imagine?

I don't understand how you are rubbing in the front. I have 18x8 with a +48mm offset and the same tire size as you and I don't rub anywhere. With my offset, my wheels sit in closer to the car than yours, so if yours rub on the inside, mine should definitely rub there too. I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger DANJ View Post
    I don't understand how you are rubbing in the front. I have 18x8 with a +48mm offset and the same tire size as you and I don't rub anywhere. With my offset, my wheels sit in closer to the car than yours, so if yours rub on the inside, mine should definitely rub there too. I'm confused.
    no its not the inside of the tire... its the outside part of the tire that is rubbing on the fender, where it has that 1/4" lip inside. It barely rubs there though. The back is my big concern.

when i had my eighteens i used to rub in the front when id turn left it would rub the inside of the tire. once i got an alignment it stopped
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

Quote Originally Posted by airborneparainf82 View Post
    no its not the inside of the tire... its the outside part of the tire that is rubbing on the fender, where it has that 1/4" lip inside. It barely rubs there though. The back is my big concern.
    I was responding to the OP. He said his front tires were rubbing on plastic, so I'm assuming it's on the inside.

whoops... :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast