The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Radiator fan

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Radiator fan

Saturday I was driving around with my AC on full blast. I picked up my girlfriend and pulled out of her street when I felt something funny with my car for a quick second or so like the car was sluggish and the SES light came on. After the light came on, the car was driving fine, but I did notice the radiator fan being on a lot and just figured it was because I was running the AC constantly. I didn't get to check the code right away because my girlfriend and I were heading to a wedding and were running late. The wedding was at a big hotel where my girlfriend and I stayed over, so Sunday we get in my car and drive to a diner and everything is running fine except I notice that my radiator fan still doesn't want to turn off while the car is on. When we came out of the diner, I was finally going to check the SES light to see what code it threw, but the SES light went off somehow. Anyway, my radiator fan will not shut off while the car is started. When I turn the car off, it takes a few seconds for the fan to kick off.

So, what's the deal? A bad temp. sensor or relay? Or is there something wrong with the electronics on the fan motor? I don't know where to start looking. Seeing that the car isn't overheating at all, I would imagine it's the relay or fan motor. If it was the coolant temp. sensor, wouldn't the temp. gauge go up?

which fan is the one that you hear? the main on? or the AUX fax?

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Just be glad your fans turn on.

Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    Just be glad your fans turn on.
    Yeah, and thankfully the fan turns off when you turn the car off. I've heard of fans staying on no matter what, so you have to unplug them.

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    which fan is the one that you hear? the main on? or the AUX fax?
    Honestly, I'm not sure which is which, but the one that is staying on is the one on the driver side. I'm assuming it's the main fan.

Edit: I just found out there is a coolant temp. sensor that tells the fan to turn on and then there is another sensor just for the dummy gauge. So, I guess it can be the coolant temp. sensor that went bad even though the car is not overheating.
    Last edited by Danger DANJ; 06-23-2008 at 03:18 PM

I just swapped the fan relay from my girlfriend's 2003 Eclipse (same exact relay) and that didn't help, so it's not the relay. I guess I'll check the coolant temp. sensor then.

i would just let it run.,....
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

Quote Originally Posted by guynlidia2006 View Post
    i would just let it run.,....
    I don't want to just let it run. Before you know it, the fan motor will burn out and I'll have to replace it. I'd rather pay like $20 for a sensor now than pay like $200 for a new fan motor later.

im sure you already thought of this but if i was you i would jus keep trying things from your girls eclipse untill u can fix it or narrow it down atleast
    PIMPIN AINT EASY

I just changed the coolant temp. sensor and the fan still stays on! This sucks! I also disconnected the wires that go from the relay to the fan control box, which does turn the fan off, but with that plug disconnected, as soon as I turn the key to the ON position, the fan relay kicks in right away. So, I don't think there is anything wrong with the fan control box either. The only other thing I can think of is that my ECU is screwed up or it's somehow related to the other problem I recently posted about my temp. control knob for the AC here which I haven't looked at yet.

By the way, from my first post about the SES light coming on and then going out before I could check it, I did hook up my scanner anyway and retrieved a P0300 which is a random misfire code. I've had that code pop up 3 times before in the rain and my car would drive crazy until it dried out. I can only assume that perhaps the AC dripped onto whatever got wet the other 3 times. I'm thinking it may be my O2 sensor wires since I extended them for my headers. I don't see how a misfire would have anything to do with the fan staying on.

About a year ago, I replaced my cap and rotor and a few weeks ago, I replaced my spark plugs, spark plug wires, valve cover gaskets and spark plug oil seals. So, I'm pretty confident that isn't causing the misfires code. The first time I got the code was before replacing the plugs and wires.
    Last edited by Danger DANJ; 06-27-2008 at 12:42 PM