The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hood is stuck

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar

Hood is stuck

Does anyone know how to open the hood is the cable is broken? I need to change my oil soon but the cable is broken & I have to install the new one too. Any help would be appreciated.

Remove the grill, then unbolt the latch.

This just happened to me a few weeks ago. I was able to unclip most of the clips for the grill with a piece of bent metal, then I just pulled the grill out. There were still two clips I couldn't get and they broke when I pulled the grill out, but I had extras. Then I unbolted the latch.

As far as replacing the cable, unclipping it from the latch is pretty easy and straight forward. You'll have to drop down the driver side fender lining where there are two plastic clips holding the cable in place. You'll see a rubber boot or whatever where the cable goes through into the cabin of the car. All in all, it was pretty easy to change it.

ok cool. I'll do it tomorrow

Actually, you know what? If you get the grill off, you don't even have to unbolt the latch. All you need is a screwdriver or something and you can put it through a little hole in the latch and pop the hood. That's how I was popping my hood before I got my new cable. I was driving around without my grill on for a couple of weeks. lol. Unfortunately, the way you have to move the screwdriver, you can't do it with the grill on.

Here is the latch:

The red dot on the front view is where the hole is.

The red arrow on the rear view is the spring that the cable is connected to. The cable is connected where the red circle is. Where the red circle is, that is the part you have to pry with the screwdriver through the hole. You have to catch it on the left side and pry it to the right.

Well as you know I still haven't put any mesh in my grill yet so it's wide open.

lol i have been driving around with no grill as well, its drying 8p.

you could also if ter is enough cable strp some of the rubber off and use a pair od pliers to yank on the wire, i did that back with my exploer

OK well I installed the cable today & it went in perfectly. Thanks to everyone who chipped in on this project.