The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: my low budget projector headlight project....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Showing results 41 to 60 of 101
    this looks just like stock...

if that's how it's going to look when on, then it was a total waste of time. projectors don't light up the entire housing like refelctor headlights do. you will only look like you have projectors during the day (to people that don't even know what projectors look like). to make them "look" like projectors when on, you need to add shrouds to block the light leak surrounding the round lens (on projector headlights the light only comes out of the lens, not the sides)... the only problem with that is that more than 50% of your light output on the road and in front of your car (by virtue of the OE reflector design) will be blocked if you put a shroud on... this is the WHOLE reason you need to go back and do this again using the projector's ellipsoidal refelctor. the way you are going about this is NOT clever since you are basically ruining your healdight performance, not improving it!

projectors look like this when on:

Reelax, give up. This post is dead. He's going to go ahead and do what he wants despite what you, Ericbla and I have told him, because he thinks the lights look cool. He doesn't care about safety or performance. He's after a look. Very similar to Honda owners that tag Type R badges on their cars. He doesn't realize that anyone that knows about projectors will be laughing their asses off when he actually turns on the headlights. I'm wondering what his answer is going to be when people come up and ask "Are they projector headlights?" "Ummm, no, I took the budget route and just shoved a useless lens in my stock reflectors. But I'm getting HID's soon so they'll look even cooler."

Oh and BTW, when you put HID's behind those lenses, expect your headlight reflectors to begin to melt from the intense heat refocused in one spot.

Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    a bush Lol
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishboy55 View Post

Oh and BTW, when you put HID's behind those lenses, expect your headlight reflectors to begin to melt from the intense heat refocused in one spot.

man I would love to see that!!!:smt026

no.. i disagree to put myself in the same cat as someone who puts type r on a civic... What i was looking to do was find a different way to do projectors, just because you dont agree dosent mean you have to keep talking shit... I agree it does not looklike real projectors... because i did not do the whole process... but now i have the xtra reflectors i may try another route. it is brigther than stock and what i was going for... The difference bewtwwen me and the stupid honda guys is they think their crap is a type r.. and i know what my headlights are...
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

i totally agree that it is nice to have something different, do something on your own, maybe try a different way.

and yea, i think it is a good idea that you want things brighter but you also want to focus that light in the road directly in front of you so u can harness that light and use it to your advantage.

we haven't seen pictures of the beam pattern your lights put out yet, but if everyone is correct, you might be better off just driving with the high beams on all the time. those seem brighter too.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by guynlidia2006 View Post
    no.. i disagree to put myself in the same cat as someone who puts type r on a civic...
    This is going to be my last post, because it's obvious you don't want to take any advice. You just want people to support what you did.
    What i was looking to do was find a different way to do projectors,
    In fact, you didn't find a different way to do projectors. You didn't do projectors at all. You threw some projector parts in front of a stock halogen bulb.
    just because you dont agree dosent mean you have to keep talking shit...
    None of us are talking shit, We're telling you the truth and trying to help you correct your mistake and teach you something.
    I agree it does not looklike real projectors... because i did not do the whole process... but now i have the xtra reflectors i may try another route. it is brigther than stock and what i was going for...
    The only other route you should try is to install the projectors the way Eric and everyone else has. There is absolutely no benefit or purpose in shining a stock bulb through a projector housing.
    The difference bewtwwen me and the stupid honda guys is they think their crap is a type r.. and i know what my headlights are...
    We know what your headlights are too. They're crap, diguised to look like something they're not. Sounds like a civic with a Type R badge to me....
    Chip

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

TGC Regular
    OK, now post up a picture like this and prove everyone wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ASTIG View Post

Need some paint or bodywork done in Chicagoland or NW Indiana???.. http://www.alsautobodyexperts.com/

after seeing that pic i think i need to point mine down some... at first one was pointing up and one down... so i got them almost even now... gonna tweak them somemore tommoow and point them down a couple inches... but i like it..
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

you're not even putting the light where it belongs...on the road. 95% of the light is firing straight ahead onto the eyes of oncoming drivers. See those 2 distinct ovals.

ANyway, sorry I tried to help out. I guess I wasted my time putting those pictures up just to give you some help.

Why dont you post your project up on the HIDPLANTET forums? You think we were harsh.

GREEN is the new BLACK

likw i said i am going to aim them down...
    Mods:

TGC Regular
    likw i said i am going to aim them down...

Thats not going to eliminate the "hot spots". Look at the picture of the beam pattern that Astig posted. PERFECTLY even light distribution, Sharp cutoff

Need some paint or bodywork done in Chicagoland or NW Indiana???.. http://www.alsautobodyexperts.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ericbla03 View Post
    Thats not going to eliminate the "hot spots". Look at the picture of the beam pattern that Astig posted. PERFECTLY even light distribution, Sharp cutoff
    Give up Eric, he isn't listening. You and Astig shouldn't waste anymore time with him. Just send him a VR4 badge to put on his car....
    Chip

i agree, but once pointed down i think it will be alot better than what you guys thought... come on guys... admit it.. its not as crisp i'll admit, but once aimed right it looks better than stock.. not better than astig but better than stock.. i'll post pics tommorow once i align them... how high should they be so that they are pointed right
    Mods:

I had high hopes for this project, but then you didn't listen to the vast knowledge that trying to help you, so much for budget projecters:cry:
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    I had high hopes for this project, but then you didn't listen to the vast knowledge that trying to help you, so much for budget projecters:cry:
    you can still do budget projectors. its just that guynlidia2006 decided to take some shortcuts and as a result, decreased the potential of those projectors.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Yeah, I suppose, I'm gonna give this projector thing a shot after I get my blacked out heads, I'll take my old ones and see what I can do, and if it works out, then I'll just put them in my new ones, fortunately, all the good advice is listed in this thread:)
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

wow. that looks HORRIFIC from a headlight performance standpoint. you have effectively ruined the usability of you headlights by taking away the side dispersion that they had stock, and creating 2 magnified hot spots in front of you. if you are going around a turn you will now probably hit something that you didn't see that was just to the side of (or even in between) your new hotspot beam pattern. this is a perfect example of stop, go back and try it again. aiming them down will not fix anything but will now just give you 2 bright spots on the ground in front of you. you might as well just tape 2 flashlights to your hood and drive around, as this is the same coverage you are going to get. adding HID to your new optics will only exagerate the defects of your design.

seriously, NOBODY does this to their headlights... ever wonder why? because it is both unsafe and inneffective. you were better off not doing any of this except for using this failure as a learning experience. just because you think it looks good does not make it work. i understand wanting to achieve exclusive visual mods (anybody that has seen my ride can attest) as long as they do not detract from a neccesary function of safety equipment... and worse yet you are greatly reducing your chances of avoiding hitting anything not direclty in your hotspots. this is not a good idea since it makes one of the most important safety devices on your car function drastically worse than it did stock. your approach is fundamentally flawed... in a projector headlight, a correctly matched ellipsoidal reflector and projector lens are BOTH required to disperse and throw light correctly where you need them, to see what is both in front of you and at least 30 degrees laterally (to both/either sides) of directly ahead; using only one of the two requisite components ruins its usefulness and enormously diminishes its intended design. the beam pattern spread you have created looks to now have less than 10 degrees of significant usable light, creating substantial blindspots in your path!

for the record, if you do not heed my advice and you later end up posting about some mishap stemming from your inability to see something that was essentially right in front of you, at any speed, let this post (and the previous informed posts made by those qualified by both knowledge and experience) dissuade anyone on earth from deciding to follow your example, modding their headlights "your" way. in this vain, the next mod idea you should spearhead is to change the light output of your tail lights to direct illumination exclusively to the sides of your vehicle, as the "hood cracked open" mod idea has allready been undertaken by another potential darwin award candidate.
    Last edited by Reelax; 06-30-2008 at 03:42 AM

And that ^^ boys and girls is everything that needed to be said in a nutshell. Great job Reelax.
    Chip

TGC Regular
    lol noobs

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast