The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: my low budget projector headlight project....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Showing results 61 to 80 of 101
    Experienced TGC Member
    Lets see the final product before we all pass judgement. I mean hey, hes trying to find a different way to go from A to C. Aint nothing wrong with innovation. Hopefully he will make some needed adjustments from the pic to get this looking right.

*You should prolly look into a set of eye lids to try and reduce some of the light scatter towards the top

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    or i say you cover your headlights in vinyl and poke tiny holes in it so it spreads out the intensity of that insane light beam, that way you can project star constellations on the road and really get the unique look that means everything to you.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    Mr. guynlidia2006, what you've just did is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever seen. At no point in your illusioned, incoherent attempt were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational solution. Everyone in this room is now dumber for following this thread. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

ugh.

if you dont want to convert back to stock headlights or do a true projector retrofit... AT LEAST take apart your head lights and paint the stock reflector flat black. that would help with the glare.

but yeah... ugh.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Serstylz2 View Post
    Mr. guynlidia2006, what you've just did is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever seen. At no point in your illusioned, incoherent attempt were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational solution. Everyone in this room is now dumber for following this thread. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
    i just roflcoptered out of my chair at work...
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by peanotation View Post
    or i say you cover your headlights in vinyl and poke tiny holes in it so it spreads out the intensity of that insane light beam, that way you can project star constellations on the road and really get the unique look that means everything to you.
    ROTFLMAO Should be easy to spot the Big Dipper, it's behind the wheel... LMAO
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishboy55 View Post
    ROTFLMAO Should be easy to spot the Big Dipper, it's behind the wheel... LMAO
    why dont u keep your personal comments to your self, you dont know me, if u did you would not make the mistake of taking my lack of knowledge for projectors as me being weak... I was simply trying to come up with a easy way to do projectors that your normal car gy could do... because honestly i dont have the pacients to do it like the pics shown... nor do i have the time... but once i pointed them down a bit i see just fine... i am not gonna run shit over because i fucking pay attention when i drive and i can see just fine... my fog lights also help out... no one flashes me as i drive because i do not blind people as i drive towards them.. so why dont u guys stop being pricks and hiding behind your computer talking shit... U wanna talk shit i will be more than happy to give u my adress so u can do so in person.... If you dont agree thats ok, because it isnt you car... But for thouse of you who have some imput that does not include an insult i am all ears, i already tires to retro the projector reflector in the other stock reflectors i have and it ject looks like shit... i was thinking of maybe using some sheet metal to make a shoud to fource all the light thru the projector.. noit sure yet... i have not sealed up the headlights for good yet, so if anyone has anything usefull to say i am all ears
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia View Post
    ugh.

if you dont want to convert back to stock headlights or do a true projector retrofit... AT LEAST take apart your head lights and paint the stock reflector flat black. that would help with the glare.

but yeah... ugh.
    i was thinking of doing that, but if i did, would the light output go down alot... because once i paint it black then i wont be able to go back chrome u know...
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72Galant View Post
    Lets see the final product before we all pass judgement. I mean hey, hes trying to find a different way to go from A to C. Aint nothing wrong with innovation. Hopefully he will make some needed adjustments from the pic to get this looking right.

*You should prolly look into a set of eye lids to try and reduce some of the light scatter towards the top
    Thanks man... all i wanted to do was come up with a way that anyone could put projectors in their headlights with the least amount of knowledge as possible and make it not so damn complicated so anyone could do it...
    Mods:

ok i pointed them down... i was thinking of making a shroud so all the light will go thru the projector... just not sure if that will make a difference or make the hot spots worse... i am gonna figure this out...
    Mods:

with fog lights on
    Mods:

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by devgrp View Post
    lol noobs

dude., where the hell have you been? Holla at me. I lost everyone's number

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by SkylineG1 View Post
    dude., where the hell have you been? Holla at me. I lost everyone's number
    I've been busy man and all these southern women taking up all my time lol. I lost my phone in a strip club so I lost all my damn numbers lol. I'll be in NYC sometime next month

Quote Originally Posted by guynlidia2006 View Post
    ... all i wanted to do was come up with a way that anyone could put projectors in their headlights with the least amount of knowledge as possible and make it not so damn complicated so anyone could do it...
    you still don't get it. you did not put projectors in your headlights; all you did is put a magnifying lens in front of your bulbs. you came up with an idea that was doomed to failure because you are ignoring that the lens and reflector act as ONE UNIT and do not work without each other. you complain that it's too much work or too hard to do it right but you allready did 80% of the work to do it right! you simply cannot mix a regular reflector bowl with a projector lens (or an ellipsoidal reflector w/ a non-projector lens). they were NEVER meant to work together and they never will. the correct ellipsoidal reflector that came with the projector lens was meant to stay with it (along with the cutoff shield) since they were perfectly matched for bulb position, focus, light dispersion and cutoof sharpness. by seperating them you are corrupting the projectors' effectiveness... and seperating them NEVER needed to be done!

all you have to do is attach the ENTIRE projector (put it back together!) to the OE reflector bowl and you will have projector headlights! after that you just add a shroud to block light leak. you really are that close to having great headlights instead of crap. taking the projector apart was more than useless. the lens and ellipsoidal reflector bowl are ONE unit and do not work without each other!

btw, why did you call this a low budget build... you acquired all the main components to do the retrofit before you started, so it was not low budget at all. what you should have called this is, "how to make your headlights look they are wearing glasses and totally reduce their usefullness at the same time!" in fact i may just change this post's title for you.

adding shrouds on your pseudo projectors will decrease the light output significantly and spread since your stock reflector is not focusing light through the lens... it is doing what it was designed to do which is reflect light from above and to the sides of the bulb, forward though the font of the headlight, mostly AROUND and past your maginfying lens! a shroud would block all this light and you would be left with pencil beam driving lights.

stop being stubborn. the members who have chimed in here about how what you are doing is a great idea do not posess knowledge about lighting and headlight functionality so they do not understand the flaws of your design. those that have pointed out the errors of "how" you are doing this actually have experience and some expertise... when people are giving you advice, it is best to listen to those that are well informed, as they are looking out for you and actually are the ones that have your back. if you listen to the advice of those that don't know what they are talking about, you will not know what you are talking about either (hint: ericbla and astig might know what they are talking about when it comes to projectors).

I don't think he cares bro, let him do what he wants. its his car at the end of the day, if he want to go the incorrect route with projectors then his choice. Just hope people in future don't make the same mistake, when they have all the right parts to fully implement a retro fit. Personally i rather have visibility on the road, then it looking "cool" and not benefiting me shit visually on the ground. But its your car, so if your happy thats all it matters and good job..
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

with fog lights on
    have you ever seen those hondas or whatever coming down the road just blinding you because they have a "hid kit" from ebay, in essance thats what you just did, projectors are meant to be brighter, but also control the beam of the light. Yes you are brighter but you just blinded oncoming traffic, and if someone swerves into your lane and hits you im pretty sure the court will find it your fault.

its not blinding... the bright light is not above my knees... no one has flashed me telling me i am blinding and to test i passed my wife and she said it did not bother her in the least...
    Mods:

its not blinding... the bright light is not above my knees... no one has flashed me telling me i am blinding and to test i passed my wife and she said it did not bother her in the least...
    hey man im just saying if someone does cross your lane because you blinded them and then they investagate guess who is going to be at fault. and trust me you are blinding people, your just ignorant to it because they are your project, i can already see that reflection off the garage or whatever your pointing it at the stray lights will hit the oncoming cars.

Quote Originally Posted by h2o View Post
    hey man im just saying if someone does cross your lane because you blinded them and then they investagate guess who is going to be at fault. and trust me you are blinding people, your just ignorant to it because they are your project, i can already see that reflection off the garage or whatever your pointing it at the stray lights will hit the oncoming cars.
    Why do people have to be on him about 'blinding' people? Why don't people here chastise others who have installed HIDs in their oem headlights? Its more than acceptable to help him along the way to doing a proper retrofit but if you won't add anything constructive to the conversation why post? If his wife complained about it I'm sure he'd be changing a lot of things, and the police for that matter if they are really bright would have pulled him over by now.

The bottom line is 1) This just goes to show you should not do a 'budget' projector retrofit, use the proper shrouds, housings, ballasts, parts, etc... and 2) some people will just argue for the sake of arguing.

Guy, as long as you are satisfied, and the retrofit is a least 95% of what Reelax has stressed to you than I'm sure its more than adequate for your everyday needs. Good job otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    The bottom line is 1) This just goes to show you should not do a 'budget' projector retrofit, use the proper shrouds, housings, ballasts, parts, etc...
    x2!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast