The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Failed Emissions

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Failed Emissions

Because my check engine light does not come on when my car is stared... Took out my gauge cluster and switched the bulb with one that I know works. Still doesn't light up. Any ideas? Thanks.
    Last edited by jeremyl464; 06-27-2008 at 02:53 PM

kbeast
    hey if you bring your car too the meet if you want to wait that long i can read it for you.

Thanks, but they said its not spitting out any codes, they just fail it if the light won't come on when you start the car. Just in case there is a code sometime in the future. Dumb reason to fail.

Just saw the thread for the meet, I'll most likely go.

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    it as well as all the other lights on the dash should turn on if the key is on the "ON" position, im surprised they failed you for that i would go to a different place if i were you especially if it isnt throwing any codes

Quote Originally Posted by fatal1 View Post
    it as well as all the other lights on the dash should turn on if the key is on the "ON" position, im surprised they failed you for that i would go to a different place if i were you especially if it isnt throwing any codes
    MD isn't like NYC for inspections. You can ONLY go to a State run facility. So no matter where he goes, they're gonna fail him. The light has to work in order to pass the OBD II test.

On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) Test
    1996 or newer model year vehicles weighing 8,500 pounds or less and equipped with a computer controlled engine and fuel system. Instead of testing your vehicle’s exhaust, your emissions test will involve scanning your vehicle's computer for emission control malfunctions. During an on-board diagnostics scan, a lane inspector will connect to your vehicle's computer through a connector under the dashboard to determine the presence of recorded “trouble codes” that illuminate the “check engine” light on the instrument panel. Vehicles with an illuminated “check engine” light automatically fail the emissions test.

Jeremy: Maybe you've got a bad connection on your gauge cluster. When you come to the meet I'm sure someone will gladly swap clusters with you (Its only 7 screws) and test that out, so at least you can determine where the problem is.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Thanks alot guys. Got it to come on, I'm pretty sure that bulb just wasn't making contact with the part of the cluster that conducts.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyl464 View Post
    Thanks alot guys. Got it to come on, I'm pretty sure that bulb just wasn't making contact with the part of the cluster that conducts.
    Excellent, so now you can make your $14 contribution to Martin NO'Malley and drive around for another two years
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

i can get my hands on a couple of them if you are interested