The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: a/c smells like dirty socks

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14
    Faction

a/c smells like dirty socks

i've been noticing the a/c smelling like dirty socks :oops: every time i turn it on in the morning. anybody know why? is there a way i can get rid of the smell?[/b]

I told you not to put your feet up on your dash like that...!!

Hehee, just change out your cabin filter located behind your glove box.........
    2001 Galant ES I4
    Injen RD CAI
    Kamikaze Headers
    Brospeed Prosport Muffler
    Brembo X-drilled/Slotted Rotors
    Progress Springs
    KYB AGX Adjustables
    Racing X Headlights
    Smoked Tails
    Custom Grill
    Titanium Limo Tint
    MOMO Shift Knob
    Tenzo R Mean-6 18"
    JBL 600.1
    2 JL 12W3 D4 in topfire custom box

My ride: http://photos.yahoo.com/nrg_neo

Faction
    hey thanks for the help, but i tried looking behind the blove box but dont seem to see any screws to remove. when i remove the glvoe box, its just a black box...anything i can do to get to the filter? and its a 2001 Galant ES, with no options.

Yes its under there........Just remove the whole glove box so you can see it........You remove it by simply pinching in the two tabs to angle it out, no screws required for that. After you do that, look for a box shape item and there should be 2 screws or so on there, remove those and you should be able to take out the filter.....
    2001 Galant ES I4
    Injen RD CAI
    Kamikaze Headers
    Brospeed Prosport Muffler
    Brembo X-drilled/Slotted Rotors
    Progress Springs
    KYB AGX Adjustables
    Racing X Headlights
    Smoked Tails
    Custom Grill
    Titanium Limo Tint
    MOMO Shift Knob
    Tenzo R Mean-6 18"
    JBL 600.1
    2 JL 12W3 D4 in topfire custom box

My ride: http://photos.yahoo.com/nrg_neo

Faction
    thanks dude , no more sh-t smelling air in the morning! LOL

BlankMan
    Might wanna look at this article, too:

http://autorepair.about.com/library/weekly...y/aa071601a.htm

J

okay. NOT all 2001 galants had the filter.
    and the moldy smell is probably not coming from it, but rather the ac evaporator. its quite common on ANY car for the conensation to lead to mold spores that grow on it, which are quickly killed right after its turned on.
    there are a few products on the market that help fix this... i think GM sells something called "AC evaporator treatment" or something similar.

ok u can get ur Gm treatment stuff or u can try pinoys ghetto mod of the day. get u a can of lysol, ur favorite scent. make sure its that type that kills bacteria and shit. spray them in ur vents. if u have a cabin filter, remove the tray and spray in there. and then outside of the windshield on the bottom, that lil bottom area with the vent holes, spray there. spray it like 2 or 3 times a week for like 2 weeks. smell should go away. and then like once or twice a month do that again and again as a lil bit of preventative maintenace

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

luxcrusr2000
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>u can try pinoys ghetto mod of the day. </div>

Pinoy that sounds like a good idea for a daily column. LOL

Faction
    ok to bring this post back up, i did what allan said for me to do, but still not working, anybody have some ideas?

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    yeah, i get that small like once a month, but i have a 7G
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Senior TGC Member
    Here's what I usually do...on the final minute or so stretch of road before my destination if it's known I just run the air through my system without the A/C going, i.e. push in the A/C knob so it just blows outside air. It warms up enough to prevent condensation in the system, and no more stinky.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Faction
    where does the temperture setting have to be?

I like Pinoys Ghetto Mod of The Day

Mom to Krystal, Joey and Peyton