The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: removing driver side halfshaft spline from transmission

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

removing driver side halfshaft spline from transmission

is there a trick to doing this easily? or is it just really hard to pop out? Ive been bending a pry bar on this thing and wedging it with a picklefork and prying on it and prying and its just marring up the outside of the tranny and not popping it out.
    141,000 miles.

6 dents.

Yellowed, cloudy headlights.

spraypaint on the door panels.

i heard someone used a chain and a tracker on here somewhere...
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    The way I have always done it is a normal screw driver and a hammer. Stick the screwdriver in between the trans and cv shaft and tap it with the hammer. You will want the other end of the axle to be out of the hub and free moving. And you may have to try a few different spots on the cv shaft with the screw driver, some work better then others.

See my picture
    7g for life!

I don't know about the 7G, but on mine, I found that the factory lug wrench is the perfect tool to pry out the axle.

can you use those 3-claw slide hammers and just make it clamp onto the green bit and pull out? I mean the slide hammer will be clear in the wheel well with plenty of space left if it's a sizeable hammer...

mine was hard as hell to get out I had a long pry bar and a sharp picklefork jammed in there hammering on it but wouldn't budge. I took it to a Midas nearby and they had to use a air hammer, then my speedometer didn't work afterwards and they wouldn't fix it.
    141,000 miles.

6 dents.

and they guy who was working on it was named Carl and had long greasy hair and glasses. Not joking.
    141,000 miles.

6 dents.

Quote Originally Posted by guynlidia2006 View Post
    i heard someone used a chain and a tracker on here somewhere...
    That was me and my Father to get out the passenger side axle on my 8G. lol. We only used the tractor to hook one end of the come-a-long to.

darn thats how you gotta do it, those things don't want to come out sometimes the snap ring in there rides up onto the splines and you need like hundreds of pounds of force to overcome it .
    141,000 miles.

6 dents.

I've done both sides driver side took about 5 mins. to do a week ago and it slide straight out the passanger took me 2 weeks to get out as we were about to take it to a shop and i just beat the tell out of it and it finally popped out