The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8G Stupid Mod Theory #2 (Harness belts)

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

8G Stupid Mod Theory #2 (Harness belts)

Editor's note: this is only a theory, nothing on this post is actual proof so until it could be proven to work, it's all about speculation. Again, if you attempt whatever you read from this thread, it is not my responsibility nor of TGC's if you or any others with you gets hurt, killed, or cause destruction of property. Thank you

We all dream of buying a set of racing bucket seats from your local import store. Either you fabricated a custom bracket or use a 3g Eclipse one you still want to get more out of it. You still want that "racing look" by adding a pair of racing harness. It looks cool but without a readily avaliable roll cage (most likely custom made) it'll probably look more or less like this:

Pana_Rican_Lover

Not quite the safety you'd expect right? We'll here's a theory that might help it out with less on the money.

Here is a univeral floor bar (type "Galant Bar" on ebay) for $99 shipped. If applied, that bar could be used as an attachment to your belt harness for support in case you experience a severe braking situation.

The Universal cross floor bar kit will reduce the body flexes that occurs during cornering. It creates a reinforcement between each side of the chassis. The bar is mounted on the floor between the front and rear seats. The cross floor bar kit will maintain a stiffer center of gravity and a locking motion in your chassis. The overall suspension and handling will increase by 15%. This product is used by all professional drift racers.
    • Made from high quality stainless steel.
    • Universal Installation - fits any car.
    • Improves handling by 15%.
    • Must have for professional racers.
    Once again, this is only a theory. Anyone with experience with metal support can chime in to this. If it works, another alternative. But if it's proven not to work, then it's a stupid mod theory.
    Last edited by G-spot; 07-06-2008 at 06:08 PM

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    here's another pic

if you are gonna mount the harnesses down there, why don't u just be ricer and bolt the harness down to where the seat bolts onto the floor?? save money that way.

the reason the you get a harness bar or even bolt it down to where the back seat is, is to minimize the angle that the harnesses are in. thats why if you look at the angle of the harness when it attaches to the harness bar, the angle isn't that bad.

when u have a hard angle like when u attach it to the bottom of the seats like many poorly educated people do, when u get into an accident or whatnot, it will push down on your shoulders and compress your spine. whereas if you had a lesser angle, it would pull your shoulders back, holding you into the seat.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

i know im new here but anyways i've been undercover for awhile and finally decided to pop my head in here just to give you a safety thing

those are the correct/safe mounting angles for a harness setup

like he said "stupid mod theory" It sounded like a good idea though
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

I hope none of you guys wear harnesses while driving on the street.

Its a great way to die in a wreck, or to recieve severe injuries that you'll never recover from.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    I hope none of you guys wear harnesses while driving on the street.

Its a great way to die in a wreck, or to recieve severe injuries that you'll never recover from.

galantv600 from texas was saved by wearing his on the street.

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=23364

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

a harness like that wont do anything for you in a severe rollover, it will crush your head because your body wont be able to slide around.

you cant predict what kind of an accident your gonna be in obviously so you would be taking a risk wearing one, besides i think it would be annoying not being able to lean forward for any reason if your strapped down to the car seat.

the proper way to use them is to have rollcage so you have roll over protection. but if your gonna do it anyway theres a couple of places that sell harness bars for the 8g, the angle of the belts would be much better for you in case of an accident instead of attaching the belt to the floor.

Experienced TGC Member krispy03's Avatar
    or you could get a harness bar

Experienced TGC Member ZigenScarface's Avatar
    krispy dont tell me thats your car

Quote Originally Posted by krispy03 View Post
    or you could get a harness bar

Last edited by qnz; 07-07-2008 at 09:09 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Yes, if you are wearing a harness on the street or the track(doesnt matter) without a rollcage, if your car happens to roll over, you dont have much of a chance to survive. I would never wear a harness in a car that does not have a full cage, you never know when you could roll over, whether its your fault, or somebody elses.
    7g for life!

lol.. with safety.. there is no budget option.. IMO
    04 Maxima SL in Bronze with Black leather

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZigenScarface View Post
    krispy dont tell me thats your car
    That may quite possibly be Krispy's Galant. You may ask why?

1. Looks like a Dodge Durango in the backround
    2. Krispy is notorious for having a messy garage

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Experienced TGC Member ZigenScarface's Avatar
    LOL 2 the messy garage... i thought krispy did 3g front seats?! am i mistakin?

Experienced TGC Member krispy03's Avatar
    yes its my galant/dirty garage. its an old picture, taken befor mod07. i recently added the 3rd gen eclipse seats.

Yes, wearing a 5 point harness without a roll cage is a dumb idea for all the reasons mentioned.

But G-Spot, the bar you and the Flying Monkey posted has absolutely nothing to do with harnesses and it is not designed to attach the harnesses to it. It's designed to be a stiffener between the B Pillars for additional chassis stability. I had one, it's useless.

So the Stupid Mod is either the harnesses or the floor stiffener. I vote for the floor stiffener. There's nothing wrong with harnesses in your car f they're there for looks and show points, as long as you are smart enough to understand when NOT to use them. If you insist on using them, get a harness bar like Krispy has, but don't try and tie them to the chassis stiffener like G spot suggested. THAT would be a stupid modification.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Good feedback everyone :) The reason why I started this thread (or the thread series for that matter) was to get a good feedback from y'all for what not to do to your Galant. Sorry if some got offended or pissed thinking I were serious about this but don't worry, I'm not doing (or attempting) any of these mods so don't ask. This is mainly for sending links to some stupid noob that (might) ask questions like this. I will be making a series of thread like this in the coming months so please give your best analysis of the situation. Thank you for reading and let's have fun with this.