The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: rear o2 sensor

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

rear o2 sensor

ok, I just pulled many codes out and one of them was rear o2 sensor, im gonna do the universal ones, but im not sure if the front and the rear sensors are the same. How many wires are on the rear one? I know the front has four, but never looked at the rear one. Are they interchangable?
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Experienced TGC Member
    If you car wasnt lowered you would probably be able to get under there and see it, I know on the 8g you can see it through the engine bay, I think they are the same but take a look for sure.
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Rear is different. Plug is different as the terminals.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Yes they are different (front and rear) and you must remove the center counsel to be able to unplug it. The plug is right next to the SRS box under the dash.

I know how to remove it, just dont know if it has 1, 2, 3, or 4 wires. Thats what I need to know. I mean, Im gonna jack up the car 2morrow and look under, but it would be great if some1 knew that so I can order it tonite

Build Thread

mko..the rear o2 sensor is 4 wire, the front one is 2 wire.

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim View Post
    mko..the rear o2 sensor is 4 wire, the front one is 2 wire.

really, hmmm......thanks

Build Thread

It better be...I just got out of bed and went to the garage to check my spare rear O2 sensor. I also just replaced my front o2 sensor..and I believe it was only 2 wire.

if you yank on the wire from below, with some finesse the connector will come out from the bottom....

then you can check everything u want.

from my experience do not get a universal one... get a denso one that is direct fit... That is one thing i learned while working for goodyear... direct fit is the only way to go
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

Quote Originally Posted by guynlidia2006 View Post
    from my experience do not get a universal one... get a denso one that is direct fit... That is one thing i learned while working for goodyear... direct fit is the only way to go

Well, I followed your advise and got 2 Denso o2 sensors. Also, I took care of the other codes that I pulled - EGR and MAF sensor. Installed the EGR valve over the block off plate, and hooked up the sensor harness - that way it will never get hot enough to get activated by the solenoid. I sprayed some electric connector cleaner on the MAF sensors, and I took it for an hour drive - no CEL so far.
    Last edited by mko; 07-15-2008 at 09:34 PM

Build Thread

So is this just a random o2 sensor change you are doing or have you changed your headers?? Should i change my o2 sensors if i am changing my headers??? I'm just curious...

Dc sports Header
    N1 exhaust
    Megan Springs
    Falken ZE512 225/40/18
    18" Motegi DP6
    Cross drilled slotted rotors
    Night shade tail lights
    Cleared Corners

Next...going in today...
    Dvd Player
    New infinity speakers

Yeah I have headers, but that was a random change. Evenmore it was a needed change - my CEL was on since I first bought the car an year ago

Build Thread

Mko was pulling CEL codes that he had a o2 sensor failure that is why he replace his.

Unless you are pulling a CEL code for a failed O2 sensor prior to replacing your headers..then you should be fine using the same ones.

I just had the CEL on. I was cruising down the street at 40mph in overdrive with no load or flooring the pedal and it went on. I pulled the code and it was the EGR - I guess the the EGR valve on top of block off plate trick didnt work. So, removed the block off plate and now its running the same way when I first got it. I hate to see my intake manifold greasy again - it took it almost a year to get rid of most of the sludge.

Now. Ill be looking for 97 Galant's emission components free engine harness. I believe these came factory only that year. There are no solenoids, EGR, canister.... I hope I find one

Build Thread

hmm mines a 97...........

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Ok, BIG PROBLEMS!!!!

I was driving today and the CEL came on. Pulled the code, it was rear o2 sensor which is ok because of the headers. NOw, as I was driving the engine would randomly stall and get back to normal. this would happen at any speed and rpms, even at idle and it would sometimes die. This has had never happen before although I had shitty o2 sensors and no egr valve. Now everything is back to stock and Im really curious what is going on. Luckly, my job is close, so I dont have worry about if it dies completely, but I cant depend on it for long distance.

If anyone has experienced some like this, please post.

the only thing that comes to my mind is bad fuel pump, or clogged fuel filter.....but who knows...

Build Thread