The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How bad is vibration w/o balancer shaft?

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

How bad is vibration w/o balancer shaft?

hey guys I was reading up on 4G63 and many suggests that the "balancer shaft deletion" is absolutely necessary if you are pulling the motor.

I know they always fail when you boost them and such but just how bad the original engine vibration might be for Itchipussy to decide that 2 balancer shafts are needed?

will my car be unbearably vibrating if I just go ahead and do a balancer shaft delete on a DOHC 4G63 off a 1G DSM?:oops:

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I had no balance shafts for almost 4 years. Didnt really bother me. Along with prothane motormount inserts, the extra vibration is only noticeable at some idle speeds and around 3000rpm, other then that, you dont notice a difference.
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Enough to give your gf/wife a orgasm. J/K

My b shafts are eliminated on my GVR4 and my mounts are solid too and the vibration is very tolerable IMO.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

it's very tolerable if you're purpose-building the car...i don't the drive my white car everyday so i actually somewhat enjoy the "rougher" feel.

if this is for your daily driver, it gets a little annoying in traffic sometimes.
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

Coz my 6A12TT, despite being a bitch to work on with anything at the inside bank, is butter smooth anywhere on the rev range from 500 to 7200 with no funky shafts and it pulls strong without any of the drawbacks....

I should reconsider my desire to swap a 4G63 maybe I should only do it when my V6 has really kicked the bucket...Either that or go all out and build a monster 4G63 to power the 7G....and leave the DD to something smaller and more fuel efficient...

You dont have to pull the balance shafts, theres still a lot of guys that run them. The only reason some guys remove them is to lighten the rotating mass and lessen the chance of timing failure. A lot of times when the balance shaft belt breaks, it takes out the timing belt as well. But Ive seen a balance shaft belt snap once and just sit inside the timing cover and not do any damage to the t-belt, so go figure.

The only reason a 4g63t or 4g64t would be un-reliable is if you went cheap and didnt do the swap proper. And theres always just bad luck :P
    7g for life!

^ yeah I reckon

but I really need one of those instead of the 6A12 because of the market support in North America....If the 6 pot goes that's the end of that.

Experienced TGC Member
    i don't have balance shafts in my 7g. It actually vibrates less than it did before wheni was auto and had the shafts . I will tell you this. Prothane motor mounts in my car was not tolerable what so ever!

So if my goal was to have a very smooth idling engine, with very little vibration, the keeping the balance shaft would be the best thing. Right?

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    the balance shaft being absent or present doesn't affect engine idle; it's strictly a comfort mechanism so there's less vibration felt inside the cabin. if you want it to "feel" smoother and miss out on all those looks from passengers when you start the motor, then keep it.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Steering wheel shake at idle is common with the prothanes and no balance shafts.
    7g for life!

hmm. I think I read somewhere years ago that the balance shafts were a trend of the 90s and was merely a ploy by Mitsubishi to make people think they are adept at quality engine manufacturing and raising comfort level at higher rpm. This is after all, a fake wannabe midsize luxury sedan, and Mitsubishi ain't too adept at quality engine manufacturing as far as my recollection goes. most of these cars are in junkyards, save for those that people like you reading this right now may try and keep them running out of some type of subconscious pity for what pieces of shit they really are.

jk!
    141,000 miles.

6 dents.

Yellowed, cloudy headlights.

spraypaint on the door panels.