The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rear Powerslot BBK Noise

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Rear Powerslot BBK Noise

I installed the Powerslot Big Brake Kit the other other weekend, and I've run into some unexplained noise.

After the install, I went to do the break-in, and the pads and rotor were in constant contact. I stopped, because I didn't want to overheat, and screw up the film transfer. I bled the brakes, and the noise continued. I removed the shims, and now the noise only happens when the suspension is under compression... which makes no sense to me, since the wheel, hub, caliper, rotor, and dust shield all move together.

The piston does slide in and out. I can easily compress it with a channel lock.
    The guide and lock pins are well greased, and do slide.
    I have SS lines on there, so I can't see if the hose collapsed.
    All bolts are torqued properly.
    The wheel is centered, and it is pressing evenly against the rotor. I can spin the wheel with no rubbing.
    The parking brake adjustment is 5 clicks out from locking (per the installation instructions), but I have also tried loosening it completely with no change.
    The rotor seems to have plenty of clearance on the dust shield.
    The caliper has plenty of clearance on the wheel.
    I do not see any wear marks on the wheel or the outside of the rotor.
    I still need to remove the rotor to see if there is abnormal wear on the inside from the pad, or the parking break shoe.
    The sound it makes when I corner, sounds exactly like the pad on rotor sound I heard before I removed the shims.

I'm going crazy here. I can't think of anything else to check, or what would change about the brakes as the suspension geometry changes. Any ideas?

Thanks

BTW, I have less than 2 degrees camber in the rear, and about 1/16" of toe.

my guess is that the caliper spacer/bracket is not installed correctly or that its not torqued correctly. I did not torque one of the brackets correctly and it would make noise when I braked.

Yeah, when I put mine on I had to leave out the shims too because the pads were so thick, I couldn't fit them over the rotor with them. Even so they were touching the rotor for a while, but nothing really serious. It wasn't heating up, and after a while it was fine. They were squeaking however when braking from low speeds, so I installed new shims later on, but that didn't stop it. What I discovered is that it's actually the guides, the flimsy guides needed to be replaced.
    Last edited by gtx; 07-08-2008 at 07:09 AM

i would retorque everything and replace the guides...
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

The relocation bracket is installed correctly. I torqued it to spec, and locktite everything, but I will check it again.

There is no noise when I break, only when I corner with enough speed to compress the rear suspension.

I could fit the brake pads and shims over the rotor without problem, but obviously removing them did make a difference.

What was wrong with the guides? Did they warp over time? Did the pad get stuck on them instead of sliding back out when the piston released? Did the guide actually come in contact with the rotor? I'm just curious what could go wrong with such a simple part. It does seem like the one thing that I haven't checked multiple times.

Now I'm starting to wonder if the squeal indicator could be coming into contact with something.

Thanks for your suggestions.

On mine, somehow the guides had to come in contact with the rotors, because the corner of them got slightly bent. Upon installation they looked ok, but as soon you rolled, they moved a mm or two and you could hear it. One of my guides got so bad at the end, it get caught in the slots, making a horrible sound. They are inexpensive, so replace them when you do your brakes. If it turns out not to be your problem, at least you got one thing out of the way.

which kit did you use? is it for the galant? I am looking to do the same upgrade to mine... i have a 02 v6
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights