The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Need new motor mounts

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    Experienced TGC Member

Need new motor mounts

Been noticing a bad vibration and grinding noise while driving and at idle. Took it into Goodyear yesterday, lifted the car, and watched in amazement as the engine jumped whenever the brakes were applied in Drive or Reverse. Stood under the car and saw that my lower front mount and lower rear mount were both torn. Now my question is, how much damage would i be doing by continuing to ride around with these bad mounts? Its going to cost me about $170 to repair them both, but i was just wondering if i was going to do any significant damage by continuing to drive with these two bad mounts.

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    Yes, its bad for the motor and trans to ride like that from what Ive heard, not to mention annoying. I dont know specifics but I would just get it fixed ASAP. I had the same problem, and bought a full motor/trans mount set off eBay for like $225.
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

The two mounts that are in the front (under the radiator) and rear (behind the firewall) are cheap, so you're looking at $60- $70 for parts.

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    yeah but changing that rear one on a v6 is a bitch!

Yes, have them replaced. The V6 is a biash in deed, but any decent shop should be able to do them within an hour if you don't feel like doing it.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rez887 View Post
    The two mounts that are in the front (under the radiator) and rear (behind the firewall) are cheap, so you're looking at $60- $70 for parts.
    That doesnt sound bad. I just need the one in the lower front, and the one in the rear. The front looks easy as shit to do. So im thinking about tackling that myself:-?

i wouldn't waste getting your hands dirty if you aren't gonna do the rear. if someone else is gonna do the rear, let them do the front. it will take them like an extra 30 seconds to do.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

yeah thay have to take that piece off to get to the rear anyway to lift the engine up a bit to remove the rear mount.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    i wouldn't waste getting your hands dirty if you aren't gonna do the rear. if someone else is gonna do the rear, let them do the front. it will take them like an extra 30 seconds to do.
    But id be saving almost $84 dude! Thats a full tank of gas and a lap dance!!!:p

Yeh but i talked to the mechanic and he said replacing just one mount is useless because its only going to become damaged again as long as there is another mount in need of replacing. Now i just gotta find these mounts. Anyone know a good site? And which type of mounts should i get (material)?

don herring in tx has good prices, www.donherring.com look up the parts department I forgot the guys name but just tell them you looking for the best price available on all 4 mounts.

Experienced TGC Member

I used to go with donherring back in the day, but I've found www.mitsubishiparts.com and www.oemmitsubishiparts.com to be cheaper on OEM parts. Although ebay can be your friend for them if you are lucky.

Just this Saturday I installed the Prothane motor mount inserts in my V6. What a bitch! I figured my mounts were shot by now, but it turned out only my front mount was ripped up... the others weren't too bad of shape. I was looking to buy all new OEM mounts, but the cheapest I could find was about $350 plus shipping on ebay. I'd love to know where anyone has them all for $225... well it's too late now. I paid $79 shipped for the Prothane inserts.

Getting the rear mount out on the V6 is a bitch. After finally getting out the bottom two bolts which were hard to get to, I go to take out the top bolt and it snapped on me. That sucked! It was also a bitch getting out the stock rubber inserts without a press. I put them in a vise and then my Father broke out his air chisel and got those suckers out. I don't know how people on the Eclipse boards say they got them out with a hacksaw and a hammer and screwdriver? Especially the two side mounts which have two metal sleeves.
    Last edited by Danger DANJ; 07-14-2008 at 02:14 PM

i had the same problem with the vibrating and grinding noise. i took it in to my local shop and i think it was added up to be around a damn near $700 but that was with all four mounts having to be replaced and an oil change lol.