The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Not a DSM but still a project...

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Not a DSM but still a project...

This is the project that I am currently working on...Started as a 74 Bug with 1776cc Turbo motor in it. It was in fairly good shape with almost no rust.....BUT it wasent what I wanted it to be so I am in the process of making some "slight" modifications. Plans are for a 13BT rotary swap a Porsche 901 Trans and a yellow and gunmetal paint scheme. Everything is/has been done by me up until this point. Oh and it is getting a set of Bride racing seats...got them for my previous car most likly will go in the VW....and let the pictures begin....

The original Engine missing carbs and some charge piping...

Not a whole lot of tear down pictures since I was kind of dirty and didnt want to use the camera

Body off the chassis and fenders removed...

What the chassis looked like right after seperation...

Before and after hand stripping with a Dewalt angle grinder...

Completly stripped...

Chassis after first coat...

Completed the chassis...

Rust repairs needed on the body...

Stripping the body, once again by hand...

That is where is sits right now, I am just about ready for epoxy primer so that I can stop worrying about rust so much. Then I am going to need to re strip and weld in replacement metal for where it is rusted. Then body work and paint, and last but no least sort out the engine and tranny.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Wow cool, is that a bug? Good project. What are you doing with it?

that's awesome. I've always had a secret fascination with older VW's. a mistress if you will. lol

keep us updated.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

RAZ Right now just trying to finish striping it and getting it in epoxy primer. Then I have to buy a welder weld in replacement panels. Put it all back together and start cutting it up for the motor transplant. The motor is going to be an RX-7 Turbo rotary, going to be running stand alone EMS. Radiator is being installed in what was the spare tire well at the front of the car. Going to use galvanized exhaust piping and either getting a shop to bend it or picking up a Harbour Freight bender, as I am eventually going to need a cage too. Deciding between a tranny from a Porsche 911 or a built tranny from a VW Bus. After I get it back up and running the plans are Porsche 914 trailing arms and 914 Turbo brakes front and rear. Interior is going to be scarce, going will aluminum door panel a set of red and black suede bride seats and a few gauges.

4g63lover...I would suggest getting one. They can be had cheap and worked on even cheaper. The first one that I owned got more looks then 98% of the cars on the road. You can pick up a used engine for like $300. Rear of the car can be lowered for free and the front can be lowered for next to nothing. Then you can rock it low and slow...then you have time to save for the big engine. They are by far the most fun car I have ever owned.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    That bug will be sweet! good luck and make sure and take lots of pictures and keep us updated.