The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: clicking sound

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

clicking sound

so when i just let my car idle, sometimes i can hear this clicking sound that comes from the engine somewhere. I don't know where its coming from but its irritating. Is something wrong? How do i fix this?

You may have the dreaded Mitsubishi lash adjuster tick. These little things tend to get clogged and then start ticking. Does click go away after it warms up?

yeah, seems like that. is this a serious problem? how do i get rid of it?

It could be a motor mount. Mine does this, but it is more of a rattle instead of a clicking sound.

i already replaced my motor mounts. I notice the ticking sound goes faster with the revs. but yeah, mostly when the car is just started. Goes away sometimes, sometimes it doesn't. how much am i looking at to fix this problem?

you got to get bigger or revised lifters. mine do it sometimes, i added some lucas oil stabalizer and it went away. try that first

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    You are talking bout the famous lifter tick which is kinda normal with these cars. I would not worry about it too much, besides being annoying, it wont hurt anything.

Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    You are talking bout the famous lifter tick which is kinda normal with these cars. I would not worry about it too much, besides being annoying, it wont hurt anything.
    is it just with mitsubishi?

Quote Originally Posted by 2kgalant View Post
    is it just with mitsubishi?
    No, its not.

What oil and oil filters are you using? I'd suggest OEM Mitsubishi filters.

As time goes by the problem is going to get worse. My GTZ started with a slight tick that would only be herd immediately after you start the car. Now its loud and clear till it warms up. Also, I hear the problem is worse in the winter. Im going to clean mine in the next week. The original lash adjusters have a 1mm hole for oil to flow through ( revised ones have 3mm hole). It easily clogs and after 145k miles I have two lash adjusters that are driving me crazy. With regard to risk of engine damage, from what I have read on this list it seems that many people are driving with the ticking until it gets so annoying that they fix the problem. I don't recall hearing that any damage was caused as a result of driving with this condition but you have to consider that the louder the ticking the more abuse the parts are going to take. When I went to the dealer they were reluctant to give me an estimate due to the amount of work that was needed on the the V6. If you have the 4 cylinder its probably much easier.