The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Piston issue??

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar

Piston issue??

Yesterday I changed my pass. rotor and pads. I did the drivers side a few weeks back, everything went smoothly. The only thing that was different from the pass. side from drivers is that when I used the C clamp to retract the piston with the brake pad resting on top, I noticed the piston went in kinda diagonal, like the top end retracted all the way in and the bottom side still had more to push in, and also the rubber boot that goes around the piston was flopping around outside instead of seated inside of the piston opening. Now tonight I just pulled in and my brake light is on, and brake fluid is on my wheel. Just would like some advice as to A)What I may have done and B) What route to troubleshoot/fix if the problem isn't known from the beginning. Thanks

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Sounds like you need to rebuild that caliper, might also want to do the same on the other side. It's not hard so don't panic.

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    where do u get the parts to rebuild the caliper
    03 I4

sounds like you popped the seals. you can pick up new seals at the dealership.

What would be the process of the rebuild?

You may need a whole new caliper. You mentioned that the piston went in "diagonal". You may have damaged the inside of the caliper. If so it will probably forever leak even after the rebuild. You may want to take it apart and make sure there are no deep scratches the piston bore.

be careful doing brake jobs you do not need to push the piston completely out of its bore, and thats probably what messed it up when you tried to force it back in sideways.
    141,000 miles.

6 dents.

Yellowed, cloudy headlights.

spraypaint on the door panels.

Well.. brake fluid apparently ruins powdercoat on wheels as well.. be on the lookout for black wheels w. a polished lip I guess :(

So I've decided to replace the caliper, going off of this tut: http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/brak...kecalipers.htm

In essence for our car I am gonna remove the 2 caliper bolts, then the hose that connects to the caliper and any other funky screws, and then screw on the new caliper?

And last night I tried to open my brake fluid reservoir and that shit would NOT move, did losing brake fluid at a fast rate cause some sort of vacuum suction or something?

Edit: This tut says if only replacing one caliper do not remove it from the brake line...?
    This is what I'm going to purchase :http://www.autozone.com/R,APP925806/...ductDetail.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Serstylz2 View Post
    Edit: This tut says if only replacing one caliper do not remove it from the brake line...?

Think about that for a second. if you don't remove the brake line, how will you replace the caliper...

hopefully you answered your own question.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

yeaa i got done a while ago hahah