The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: what could this be?

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14
    2003gtz

what could this be?

Ok, so I just got back from my weekend with my girlfriend in North Conway NH wich is about A 3 hour drive for me. My car was fine on the way up but once I got there I noticed it surging or bucking is the best way I can describe it. I thought it could be bad gas but I have ran it down to E and filled it up twice and its still doing it. It happens when i am driving steady at about 35MPH to 55MPH I dont feel it much on the highway. Im still kinda a noob but i am thinking (and worried) this could be the begining of a trany problem (maby its missing a gear or something?). Like I said I am A noob so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

I had a similar issue with my car a while back, I did a tranny flush and it got alot better, but still does it a little bit when I accelerate quickly

2003gtz
    i have read some bad things about flushing the trany I now have 80,000 miles on the car would that be an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by 2003gtz View Post
    i have read some bad things about flushing the trany I now have 80,000 miles on the car would that be an issue?
    Depends on how the car has been maintained for the first 80,000 miles. When was the last time you changed plugs? Cleaned the Throttle Body? Replaced Air Filter, etc.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

2003gtz
    I havent changed the plugs since ive had it and i got it with 50,000 miles on it, I have only cleaned the TB once and i just recently cleaned mt air filter.

Quote Originally Posted by 2003gtz View Post
    I havent changed the plugs since ive had it and i got it with 50,000 miles on it, I have only cleaned the TB once and i just recently cleaned mt air filter.
    You're due for a timing belt in 10,000 miles. Might be a good time for a major maintenance. Timing belt, water pump, idler pullies, plugs, distributor, plug wires. As long as the plenum is off, may as well take advantage of it.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

2003gtz
    is there anything else or should that do it to refresh my motor and keep me going. that sounds expensive I will have to go to my mechanic and look in to all that.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    north conway NH.. that's funny, just moved from there. I was working at the Red Jacket Mountain View resort

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    A tranny flush it was invented by the dealer to take your money. Your transmission never needs a flush. Just a little secret I know and sharing with TGC.

2003gtz
    so trany flush is a waste of time but i will look into the other suggestions thanks guys

If you change the trans fluid at the proper intervals your trans will have a long life as long as you don't abuse it. My 2000 GTZ is just about to hit 150K. I have changed the trans fluid 3 times in its lifetime and the trans is still nice and healthy. The dealer charged me $70.00 to do what he called a "drain and fill". Oh, have you looked at your trans fluid. Is it still red? Does it smell burnt?

do u have a check engine light? if so have you pulled the code and looked it up?

Could be the air filter, try the cheapest option first is my opinion.

2003gtz
    ok you were absouloutly right I just got home from work today and popped my hood to find that my air filter had somehow rattled loose and was sitting right there. I should have checked in the first place. sorry about that and thanks for the help I guess i panniced to quickly.