The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 7g crank vs 8g crank

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

7g crank vs 8g crank

Is the 4g64 7g crank the same as the 8g 4g64 crank?

my guess would be no since the engines are of a different orientation from each other.

but then again the only motor I've seen in my experience are the DSM 4G63T's so I'm not sure.

but actually, the 4G63T and the EVO 4G63T cranks arent interchangeable either so i'm guessing maybe it works the same way with the 4G64.

try it though, I'm pretty sure they are both 7-bolt cranks so maybe they might work idk.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

99.9% certain that they're not interchangeable.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    That would be a no. There are internal differences between the older and new 4G63's. I believe the new 4G63's have a size difference in the journals and configured differently obviously.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim View Post
    That would be a no. There are internal differences between the older and new 4G63's. I believe the new 4G63's have a size difference in the journals and configured differently obviously.
    I'm not asking about the 4g63 i'm asking about the 4g64's the 7gen and 8 gen galants

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Ok so there is ALOT of wrong info in this thread.

When you talk "older" on DSM 4G63T cranks, you need to be specific as to 6 bolt or 7 bolt. First things first, you cant use a 6bolt crank in a 7 bolt motor and vice versa. The 7 bolt DSM crank and EVO crank are interchangeable. Now for the 4G64 I am not certain if 7g and 8g are the interchangeable because I have no first hand experience of this, but I will venture to say yes and here is why. I have seen 2g 7 bolt motors use the 7g crank to make a "stroker" kit, so if it fits into a 2g block, and the 2g crank fits into an EVO, and an EVO crank fits into an 8g....see the pattern here. The reason the 2g DSM and EVO cranks arent the same part# is because the 2g crank is a nitride hardened crank from the factory, the EVO one is not. Alot of high power EVO's actually use the 2g crank because its stronger due to the hardening process. I had a 1G Eclipse
    4G63 non-turbo (7 bolt) crank in my old EVO motor, becaues it too was hardened.

This also breaks a very comon myth in the DSM and EVO world about "Dude you cant re-grind your crank, you lose the hardening you gotta get a new one" No you dont if your using an EVO or a 4G64 crank, because they never had any hardening to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS