The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cleaning engine bay

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

Cleaning engine bay

Whats the safest stuff to use to clean the engine bay?

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    I spray simple green max all over it, cover the air filter if you have aftermarket filter and scrub what you can with a soft brush, i use a painter brush to get in all cracks and stuff and just hose it down after. If you have air compressor, blow all the water off and out of cracks and electrical conecttions and you are good to go.

Yea i use simple green, and i use this engine bright thing from pepboys comes in orange can
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

That engine bright works but not that good, speacialy on a dirty engine bay.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Try this next time. Cover your air filter, high pressure wash the bay with no soap or anything. Let it dry for a few minutes, next, get the foamy tire cleaner that comes in the aerosol cans, spray everything in the bay with it, close the hood, go drive around for 15-30 minutes. The tire cleaner will clean anything it touches and will bake itself off after the drive. Lastly just go wash the bay once more with a pressure washer and it will look good as new.
    7g for life!

I also got all this adhesive and some double stick tape left from my hid ballasts and ignitors. How do I take this stuff off?

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT View Post
    Try this next time. Cover your air filter, high pressure wash the bay with no soap or anything. Let it dry for a few minutes, next, get the foamy tire cleaner that comes in the aerosol cans, spray everything in the bay with it, close the hood, go drive around for 15-30 minutes. The tire cleaner will clean anything it touches and will bake itself off after the drive. Lastly just go wash the bay once more with a pressure washer and it will look good as new.
    seriously? this stuff wont corode the bay with the baking action?

will this even work for 12 years worth of caked on greese? My 2g has maybe 2mm worth of grime caked on the lower parts of the engine bay.

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    seriously? this stuff wont corode the bay with the baking action?

will this even work for 12 years worth of caked on greese? My 2g has maybe 2mm worth of grime caked on the lower parts of the engine bay.
    Hmmm I've always used simple green and low pressure water. pressure washer under the hood seems scary, but it makes sense. That foaming tire cleaner is silicone based, so that'll dissipate. What about a residue?
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    If your bay is extremely dirty, it wont help out a ton. You can do the simple green first, then the tire foam next, it can get into crevices that you cant get to with a brush. I probably wouldnt use a pressure washer on high. Ive always went to the car was and used the pressure washer there without pulling the trigger handle to make it extremely high pressure.
    7g for life!

I use four things, a degreaser called Go-Grease, really strong stuff, made for tractor engines and such, it foams and sticks, then I use the Brillo pad to get into smaller places, a stiff bristle brush for the block, and a towel to wipe everything dry. I just cleaned up my bay a little when I installed my strut tower bar, but I didn't have time to scrub, so I just foamed it up and then hosed it of, and it got damn near everything off, I had at least 2-3mm of gunk all over. Here are some pictures

If any of you guys want some of this, I have a ton that I bought from my friends that lives on a farm, let me know, I can sell you some.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    I spray simple green max all over it, cover the air filter if you have aftermarket filter and scrub what you can with a soft brush, i use a painter brush to get in all cracks and stuff and just hose it down after. If you have air compressor, blow all the water off and out of cracks and electrical conecttions and you are good to go.
    I just did exactly what you said and it came out great, thanks for the info!

No problem.

simple green and pressure washer...does wonders

i thought using a pressure washer at the car wash was a crazy thought as well and my friend convinced me that it wasnt so we tried it, i bought this cleaner called Cherry power from autozone and used it, didnt dilute it as the directions said since i wanted it to be more concentrated, sprayed it all over the bay after we covered the filter and then scrubbed some of the dirt off and used the high pressure washer at the car wash and everything came out nearly as clean as new and everything worked fine after that with no problems, now if u have some old vaccum lines or old loose wires then u might have a problem but i didnt
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R