The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rear Window

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Rear Window

Hey Guys, does anybody know a way to take off old window tint film from the rear window without messing up the defroster???

2003 MITSUBISHI GALANT GTZ

sponge and windex. use a razor to start it without getting too close to the defroster lines, and start scrubbin.

I think I have heard of doing it with steel wool, but IDK about that one. Don't hold me to it...

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    dont use steel wool, after you pull the tint, soak it with windex and then just use a kitchen sponge with a rough side to get it off, takes a while... just me the switch from blue to black was pretty hard

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    The best way is to use a steamer to remove the adhesive film from the window. Razor blade is a last resort and will result in your defroster to not work anymore. Because its almost impossible to get all the little pieces to come off the window without hitting a defroster line. And once u hit one and break the line, the whole window is f&@#ed!
    I had a tint shop remove some off an old car of mine. It was so bad that it was bubbled up and Barney Purple. I couldnt even see outta the back window. So the first thing I did when I bought the car was take it to the tint shop to have them remove it. They had to end up scraping the defroster with a razor blade bcz the tint was too far gone to just peel off with a steamer.
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Heat gun, or a blowdrier to get it loose, then use a sponge and windex..

if you damage the defroster.

use a voltmeter to find the damaged line (watch te window nxt time you defrost it and make note of the area)

use some conductive paint to "paint" over the damged area

TGC Regular
    spray ammonia on the tint, then quickly cover it with some saran wrap so it doesnt evaporate. Let that sit for like 20 minutes and then peel it off with the aid of a heat gun. You can get the remaining residue off with some goo gone, or the ammonia.

Need some paint or bodywork done in Chicagoland or NW Indiana???.. http://www.alsautobodyexperts.com/

the steamer works best. very easy to take off