The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My 7G keeps locking me in!

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

My 7G keeps locking me in!

Hey guys.. I'm sure someone has come across this problem before cause it seems to be a common occurrence with these cars. My '93 7G E54A Galant keeps locking itself, especially after you've just unlocked the car and will repeatedly lock again after unlocking until it eventually stops. Usually I wind the window down or have a habit of taking the keys out but it's starting to get frustrating, especially in the wet weather - it seems to happen more in the wet weather too.

Does anyone know exactly what causes this and what I need to fix/replace to stop it? I've got an alarm which controls the central locking but it was still doing this before I put the alarm in.

Cheers,
    Phil

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    I think we have a Christine on our hands boys..

haha yeah I hope not!! maybe it's paying me back for bumping it's bumper into the fence gates!

it's a common issue on the jap model E5#A's and early 90s Diamantes apparently - I guess the US models were immune from this!

nope... it happens to the US models too.

the problem is in the Power lock master switch. (the actual control on your driver door panel that rolls the windows and locks the doors)
    if you were to take it out, and open up the casing... more than likely you will see circuit board damage.

Only fix I know of is to get another master switch from another 7g... and hope its not damaged as well.

I went to the yard the other day to get a new switch. and pulled the switch from the only 7g they had....
    once i got the switch out... It was clear that it was fucked. the plastic casing in the housing of the switch was melted. I opened it up and it looked like the circuit board caught fire!

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Ahh. I've taken that master switch out before because the auto-up of the driver's window often doesn't work. Yes the contacts are corroded under that rubber button but the only damage I could see was limited to the driver's window. There is the switch to lock/unlock doors so I guess it could be a contact there which is faulty.

Cheers for that pointer.

Does any of the US models have a delay where you can still run the windows with the ignition off? My '93 has a delay but my '94 didn't for some reason. I just thought it was strange.

Quote Originally Posted by fuel View Post
    Ahh. I've taken that master switch out before because the auto-up of the driver's window often doesn't work. Yes the contacts are corroded under that rubber button but the only damage I could see was limited to the driver's window. There is the switch to lock/unlock doors so I guess it could be a contact there which is faulty.

Cheers for that pointer.

Does any of the US models have a delay where you can still run the windows with the ignition off? My '93 has a delay but my '94 didn't for some reason. I just thought it was strange.
    yeha its a 30 second delay.

can open and close the sunroof, as well as the windows.
    for 30 seconds, or until a door is opened

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    i love that: engine off, key even out of ignition, but you can still roll the windows up/down for 30seconds. makes for those great rolling shut-downs into parking spots
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

mine wont let you do anything after the 30 seconds with the door open, must be a US thing haha cause I've heard that on other US cars.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    yeah opening a door kills it
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

just a idea

mab you guys should install a fuse in there so the fuse blows and not your master switch.

Quote Originally Posted by dwjp90 View Post
    just a idea

mab you guys should install a fuse in there so the fuse blows and not your master switch.
    so you want me to install a fuse on the circuit board itself?

How would you propose that i do that.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    u cant unless u take out the + wire that leads to the board but we already have one in our fuse box either u add aditional fuse between the master switch and the fuse box or what i probaly would do is change the fuse in the fuse box to a lower ampriage but nut too much example if u have a 10 then try 7.5 fuse but then could also cause it to blow often wich = alot of fuses

ps if ur going to do this make sure u replace the master board tooo

but personally i would do it the only thing ill do is replace the master board
    Last edited by jimmy_o2; 07-30-2008 at 08:58 AM
    03 I4