The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ngk wires and timing belt questions

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

ngk wires and timing belt questions

It's been a while since I did any work to my 7G, mainly because the last thing I did to it sucked 450 bucks out of my wallet.

When I had my last misfire, the shop slapped in some garbage wires, and I cannot remember where I bought my last set of the blue NGK wires, which I want a new set. I remember I had them shipped from Canada, but I can't remember the site, any suggestions on where to grab these?

It's also time I need to get my timing belt replaced. I've heard horror stories on this, price gouging, installing the balance thing backwards, etc... I'll be taking it to the dealer for this. I've also heard things like it'll cost upwards of 700 dollars for the belt and the pump to replace, holy crap, I might just buy a new car for that. Is the water pump really that hard to install/get to? I'd rather just get the belt done and do the water pump myself later if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ohgrfreak View Post
    When I had my last misfire, the shop slapped in some garbage wires, and I cannot remember where I bought my last set of the blue NGK wires, which I want a new set. I remember I had them shipped from Canada, but I can't remember the site, any suggestions on where to grab these?

sparkplugs.com

It's also time I need to get my timing belt replaced. I've heard horror stories on this, price gouging, installing the balance thing backwards, etc... I'll be taking it to the dealer for this. I've also heard things like it'll cost upwards of 700 dollars for the belt and the pump to replace, holy crap, I might just buy a new car for that. Is the water pump really that hard to install/get to? I'd rather just get the belt done and do the water pump myself later if possible.
    you can surely do the belt now and do the water pump yourself later. i will say this though, you're gonna have to take the belt off again to take the water pump off.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

I thought it may have been sparkplugs.com, but the price skyrocketed since I bought my last set, so I wasn't sure if I had the right site.

What is the average life span of the water pump, if anyone knows? My car is at 115k and it has not had the timing belt or water pump done in it's life. So I want to do the main thing first instead of waiting (I don't want to put many more miles on it) to save up to do both the water pump and timing belt together.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    What is the average life span of the water pump, if anyone knows? My car is at 115k and it has not had the timing belt or water pump done in it's life. So I want to do the main thing first instead of waiting (I don't want to put many more miles on it) to save up to do both the water pump and timing belt together.
    You will be saving money if you take care of everything in 1 shot when you replace your timing belt. The water pump is recommened to be replaced when you replace the timing belt because its preventative maintanance and you have to remove almost everything to get to the water pump anyways. A water pump life expectancy depends on the quality of the water pump and how healthy the cooling system is (thermostat, radiator, coolant). To get the water pump almost everythhing of the front of the motor (belts side) has to be removed including the tensioner for the timing belt to remove 1 of the bolts for the water pump. The parts isn't that expensive...its the labor that any repair shop or dealer is charging that is ass raping your wallet. Paying a shop or dealer to replace just the timing belt and later down the road replacing the water pump is really shooting yourself in the foot more than once.

If you are going to replace the timing belt..you might as well take care of everything in 1 shot while the front of the motor is apart. This includes the following:
    -Timing belt
    -Alternator belt, power steering belt and/or A/C belt
    -Tensioner pulley
    -Idler pulley
    -Auto tensioner
    -Crank seal
    -oil pump seal
    -cam seal
    -Balance shaft belt

Yes...its going to be expensive to replace all those items and having it installed, BUT at least you take care of it in one shot and only pay the labor once.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

send a message to seth98est he is near you and for a fee will install everything for less then the dealer. the man knows his shit!

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

4-G-Rim, I know you are exactly right, but to save up for all that stuff (over time) would just put more miles on my timing belt, with the way I drive I can forsee the timing belt snapping at 5k rpm and taking my engine with it (talk about a shot in the foot). But yeah, I'll look into it more and see what it'll cost, I already have all new drive belts due to the harmonic balancer destroying them all, and a new balancer for that matter...

What is the cam seal?
    Last edited by ohgrfreak; 08-04-2008 at 07:01 AM

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Cam seal is the camshaft seal. You got to remove the cam gear to replace it. Too bad you aren't local...I would help you replace your timing belt and water pump.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo