The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: CV

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    freakinrican

CV

Is there a how-to on how to replace the cv joint/ half shaft or whatever the tech name is??
    I been looking around and searching and cant find anything. Im having a knocking noise coming from the left side when driving slow.. IDK 100% if thats exactly what it is but thats what I have been told.

I dont think so but i would recommend going to autozone and picking yourself up a Haynes book like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Haynes-Manual-Mi...em260269635143

mine cost $20 at the store, they tell you how to practically do everything to your car and it has a troubleshoot guide.

5-speed 6G72 w/ bolt-ons [sold]
    '93 Nissan 240sx vert

freakinrican
    yeah I have one and I have been tearing the place up looking for it and I havent found it... I guess im just gonna have to break down and buy another one..
    I took the wheel off earlier today and noticed that the lugs where pretty lose (not even hand tight) so im assuming that had alot to do with the noise I was hearing. I also noticed that the inboard boot on the half shaft is torn and I doubt there is any lube or grease in there anymore so thats going to be my next step and hopefully the fix..

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know..

Quote Originally Posted by freakinrican View Post
    yeah I have one and I have been tearing the place up looking for it and I havent found it... I guess im just gonna have to break down and buy another one..
    I took the wheel off earlier today and noticed that the lugs where pretty lose (not even hand tight) so im assuming that had alot to do with the noise I was hearing. I also noticed that the inboard boot on the half shaft is torn and I doubt there is any lube or grease in there anymore so thats going to be my next step and hopefully the fix..

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know..

Knocking sounds are very difficult to isolate too. If you go over a bad patch of road and you get a knocking sound, you should check your sway bar links, ball joints (control arms) and sway bar bushings, these rubbers get really dry and cracked with higher mileage older cars. I just replaced all those things after looking at them and seeing they were in such bad condition. This is for an 8g by the way. Now I have the same knocking sounds that I eliminated from the front coming from the rear. Just took a look yesterday and saw my rear links are bad too. So that's my next project.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    does it have a knocking sound when your turning at low speeds? like when your parking?

freakinrican
    the sound is pretty much gone, I had the car inspected by the dealership and they said that both drive axles are "busted" and the strut mounts are bad..
    I know for a fact that the cv boot is ripped and looks pretty dry. I don't hear the noise anymore since I tightened the lugs on the front left that where not even finger tight.
    Replacing the strut mounts, no biggie as far as I can see. but the drive axles?? IDK
    I was thinking about putting some grease in the torn cv joint and see if that helps and take it from there..

any suggestions/ advice?