The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: shaking while braking

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16
    Faction

shaking while braking

i've notices that my car has been shaking while im braking at a stop light, anybody know why?

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar

Re: shaking while braking

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(g-ride2fast)</div><div class='quotemain'>i've notices that my car has been shaking while im braking at a stop light, anybody know why?</div>

Well from what i have learned from a lot of the guyz on the board, Mitsu's are notorious for having bad breaks, a lot of them have been warped, that could be one reason for ur shakin when braking.. Second could be a bad alignment or you need to get ur tires balanced again.. There are just a number of different things, even tire pressure as well could be one of the reasons..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

Yeah like Shane mentioned Mitsu does have the worse brakes in the world.....But more likely than not, its probably your rotors. They are warped. This happened to many people on this board already and it was all rotor related......You can either resurface your rotors or buy new aftermarket rotors (my opinion of choice)............
    2001 Galant ES I4
    Injen RD CAI
    Kamikaze Headers
    Brospeed Prosport Muffler
    Brembo X-drilled/Slotted Rotors
    Progress Springs
    KYB AGX Adjustables
    Racing X Headlights
    Smoked Tails
    Custom Grill
    Titanium Limo Tint
    MOMO Shift Knob
    Tenzo R Mean-6 18"
    JBL 600.1
    2 JL 12W3 D4 in topfire custom box

My ride: http://photos.yahoo.com/nrg_neo

BlueESV6
    If I had to guess the "brake&shake" is probably from warped FRONT rotors. If it's under warranty then let them fix it, if not you may want to just buy some aftermarket rotors (They are better adn cheaper than OEM stock).

TGC Regular
    like everyone said its probably the warped front rotor's ,i gota get a new set on mine go down to the group buy's there's a group buy on a set of brembo's going on right now at a great price...
    - Atba

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlueESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>If I had to guess the "brake&shake" is probably from warped FRONT rotors. If it's under warranty then let them fix it, if not you may want to just buy some aftermarket rotors (They are better adn cheaper than OEM stock).

</div>

I asked the dealers, they said, brake components are never under warranty.......bastards!!
    2001 Galant ES I4
    Injen RD CAI
    Kamikaze Headers
    Progress Springs
    KYB AGX Adjustables
    Racing X Headlights
    Smoked Tails
    Custom Grill
    Titanium Limo Tint
    MOMO Shift Knob
    Tenzo R Mean-6 18"
    JBL 600.1

brakes are under warranty. they just have theri own seperate one. i think its like 14k or 16k something like that.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

The dealers in LA, doesn't cover my brakes...........I know because I took my warped rotors to them.....They said it was considered a normal driving wear part.......
    2001 Galant ES I4
    Injen RD CAI
    Kamikaze Headers
    Progress Springs
    KYB AGX Adjustables
    Racing X Headlights
    Smoked Tails
    Custom Grill
    Titanium Limo Tint
    MOMO Shift Knob
    Tenzo R Mean-6 18"
    JBL 600.1

BlueESV6
    That's funny my dealership turned mine twice and replaced the rotors and pads once... but the 1999-2000 had some tech bulletin on them. You would think newer models would have the problem sorted out...

Since getting crossdrilled there has been no brake issues...

Senior TGC Member
    Meanwhile my dealer seems torn on the issue...they replaced my pads free of charge the first time at 11k miles, the second time they charged me, the third time they replaced them again for free. Rotors have never been touched yet...but you would think brake pads they'd try to claim wear and tear on me.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Bad Galant
    It's the front rotors. They are warped. This is the best time to upgrade to Crossed Drilled and Slotted rotors. I had the same problem. On the way to Vegas I was doing about 95 mph. and slow big rig came up fast in front of me. I could barely stop because of all the shaking and rattling. There was also a bad burning smell. Now I have no problems like that anymore. I'm the happiest camper since I upgraded to my nickle platted rotors.

D03GTZ
    Actually brakes are considered wear and tear items and most of the time are not covered under warranty. Maybe a limited warranty, which means they will figure out how much of the friction material has been used and discount that amount in a percentage. BUT you have to understand that dealerships dont make any money on unhappy customers. If you really dont want to spend money on aftermarket and your car is still under warranty, you NEED be firm with them that you are a customer and keep going at them until you give up. Also it really depends on the dealership. They are all run differently, some franchise, some independantly owned.

LatinGalant
    I have a question thought, our 2002+ models with 4 cycle have different rotors than 99-00. Do we finally have after market rotors for the 02+ models? and if so where. I Lost 300.00 in trying to get them for my galant they where two small and I don't want to go through that hell agian.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlueESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>If I had to guess the "brake&shake" is probably from warped FRONT rotors. If it's under warranty then let them fix it, if not you may want to just buy some aftermarket rotors (They are better adn cheaper than OEM stock).

</div>

haha...you said warranty and brakes in the same sentence hahaha....

oldchevron62
    I had a 94 Es with the same problems. It had very shitty brakes and it rattles and vibrated. I put new rotors and brakes and that solved it. Loved that car 153xxx but i smoked the tranny racing a 99 Honda Accord and he ended up in my rear view mirror. She died hard though. But my 01 ES has 66xxx and the brakes are now doing the same thing shaking and vibrating so it looks like a mitsubishi galant bad brakes thing.

def the brakes... my advice is to upgrade ur rotors... slotted/crossdrilled'll fix the problem.... most of the time its jus ur front rotors so if u just replace the 2 front its gonna cost bout 250....
    anthony