The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Optical Illusion?

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Optical Illusion?

'97 galant 2.4L, 160K with original engine and AT. Just replaced the drive belts with gatorbacks and it appears as if the power steering pulley is at a slight angle. The actual belt looks like it's parallel to the others but the pulley just seems to be crooked. Is this just an illusion or some of you have noticed this too? No noises or other problems, but it is just bugging the hell out of me. Thanks.

if you start the engine and see the pulley vibrating then yes that is a problem.

otherwise most likely just an illusion

a pic would definitely help.

Experienced TGC Member
    Ha! Its not an illusion.. It really is off square. My 7g had this problem. To be honest i forgot exactly how i fixed it but i know i just had to do some tweaking with the bolts. I think i just squared it up then i tightened the bolts back down. Im not sure though. You can figure it out ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow19 View Post
    Ha! Its not an illusion.. It really is off square. My 7g had this problem. To be honest i forgot exactly how i fixed it but i know i just had to do some tweaking with the bolts. I think i just squared it up then i tightened the bolts back down. Im not sure though. You can figure it out ;-)
    I looked at it several times but can't really sort it out. Is the actual bracket bent or is the space between the bracket where the pump fits in too big so by drawing bolts tight it pulls the pump off at some angle? It looks straight when I pry the pump with the crowbar, but as soon I tighten the bolts it goes out of alignment. Do you think that the bearings will be destroyed if I leave it slightly misaligned or will the belt go bad first? The pulley is good and not wobbling or vibrating.

I know, ... lots of questions, but please bear with me as I try to keep the old iron in shape. Thanks for all the help.

Experienced TGC Member
    Nothing is bent. There is just some play in there. Enough to make it get out of square. Straigten it up and tighten both top bolts then go from there. Like i said man its been a while since i did mine. IDK about making the bearings wear unevenly but i do know it made my belt chirp like a damn cricket and it started to piss me off. Thats about all i can tell you. Im drawing a blank right now. Sorry! Hope this helps.