The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Galante's 8g Build

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728 LastLast
Showing results 501 to 520 of 559
    You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    congrats on getting this done man! it's a completely different experience :)

I'm glad she's all done, you just leveled up in the G game. lol Welcome to the 5-speed club!
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Experienced TGC Member Rach3T8G's Avatar
    Congrats on the 5SPD hopefully one day i'll be 5SPD as well
    - Chris -
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT: My DD
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT

5 speed rocks! Thanks guys..

When I'm on my 1st gear it slips and grip.. is that because it needs to break in?
    "Mitsubishi Galant(e) for Life"

Tuned 2013 Evolution X GSR PB

-> Follow me on IG @blackblurr_x | 5-Speed | Check out my Build Here

man i can imagine how sick that is lol.

good job bro!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Galante View Post
    5 speed rocks! Thanks guys..

When I'm on my 1st gear it slips and grip.. is that because it needs to break in?
    Explain this in more detail or take video. If you mean the wheels spin then grip, no thats not needing a break in, thats called wheel spin/ wheel hop.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

I will try to take a video if I could. Yes it's the FR wheels Brian, that only happens if I pressed on the gas pedal around 3000 rpm and I let go of my clutch pretty quick. The road was wet when I noticed that.
    Last edited by Galante; 08-30-2010 at 06:07 AM

I'm hoping to get my Brembo's installed this week. I ordered 2 pair of pins for the pads for the front and rear since the seller was missing them.

Last edited by Galante; 08-30-2010 at 05:58 AM

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    I will try to take a video if I could. Yes it's the FR wheels Brian, that only happens if I pressed on the gas pedal around 3000 rpm and I let go of my clutch pretty quick. The road was wet when I noticed that.
    Yeah thats good old fashioned one wheel peel. The idea is to try and let the clutch out around 1200 rpms and that shouldnt happen. If this is your first 5-speed, it might take a little getting used to.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    Yeah thats good old fashioned one wheel peel. The idea is to try and let the clutch out around 1200 rpms and that shouldnt happen. If this is your first 5-speed, it might take a little getting used to.
    It's been 7 years that I have not driven a manual car until now. So I guess I need used to it again.

I tried to let go of the clutch around 1500 rpm but I feel something rattles on the engine so I opted to let go slowly on higher rpm's like 2000.
    Last edited by Galante; 08-30-2010 at 08:57 AM

i usually just play with the clutch to get a roll without using gas so i can learn where the clutch cathces on the car, then just tap the gas as im gettingto that point in the clutch and it makes it really easy and smooth at 1200 to 1500. good thing to learn in small spaces so you dont launch into a wall while doing a 3 point turn! lol

If I let the clutch go slowly without gas there's vibration, it feels the car's gonna stop idling. Maybe I need more practice. The car is lot responsive than auto.

If I let the clutch go slowly without gas there's vibration, it feels the car's gonna stop idling. Maybe I need more practice. The car is lot responsive than auto.
    idk if its the right fix, but my buddy just tightened up his throttle cable so that it would idle at a higher rev lol.

that's because it WILL stop idling lol. It'll most likely die if you try to start from a stop like that. I think es_fact is just saying to do that so you can see where the "grab point" of the clutch is

Yeah it will definitely die on me. I will need more getting use to it I guess which is fine because I'm enjoying it!! c'',)
    Last edited by Galante; 08-30-2010 at 11:52 PM

Quote Originally Posted by beam514 View Post
    that's because it WILL stop idling lol. It'll most likely die if you try to start from a stop like that. I think es_fact is just saying to do that so you can see where the "grab point" of the clutch is
    correct, but most cars just drive easily with out gas, i've only seen a couple of cars that stall out when you do it. I dont know why, using common sense i think its the throttle cable, but i woudlnt know, just putting 1 and 1 together lol.

Wait cars can move from a stop just from clutching in and giving no gas? I only have experience with the eclipse and when I do that it stalls. I always have to rev to 1500, clutch in, and go

The Galant is my first manual car, but I've driven a '68 Firebird manual too. Anyway I heard that you always have to give it at least a little gas to get up from a stop. Adjusting the idle to 1200 rpm isn't good. I don't want my car idling at 1200 when it could be at 750 and i just have to give it a little gas to go lol

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

I've driven a manual cavalier, and yeah it would stall turn off if you clutch in with no gas on any gear (except Neutral), because the clutch stops the engine, so you have to give it a little gas and clutch in slowly while pressing the gas pedal,

I thought it was like that with every manual.
    Last edited by OMEGA PHX; 08-31-2010 at 02:00 PM

4g64T 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by es_fact View Post
    correct, but most cars just drive easily with out gas, i've only seen a couple of cars that stall out when you do it. I dont know why, using common sense i think its the throttle cable, but i woudlnt know, just putting 1 and 1 together lol.
    i don't know what cars u've had experience w/ but every manual car i've ever driven from porsche's to bmw's to handa's to mitsu's etc. wil stall in 1st gear if you just let the clutch out and don't gas a little to start moving... they are not designed to idle high enough to withstand load (being in gear).

i've taught many people to drive stick and one of the first things i teach them is to get a feel for the car and the stall point... there is a balance point where the clutch starts to engage and the gas starts to move the car. practice learning this point. during normal driving, never jump off the clutch pedal or jump on the gas in first gear; it's a delicate dance to stay at that stall point just above where the car starts bucking and trying to stall. let off the clutch slowly, you will feel where the gears start to engage, at that point add gas slowly as you continue to release the clutch pedal slowly; the key is to transistion from nuetral (clutch pedal in) to 1st gear w/o over revving or bucking. go to an empty area like a parking lot or deserted road and just practice finding the stall point and starting to move from 1st... then go practice it on an incline. after a few tries, you will know your car and should be able to start moving in 1st smoothly in all conditions. remember, too much gas equals loss of traction, too little equals stall.

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728 LastLast