The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Galante's 8g Build

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Showing results 101 to 120 of 559
    Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    Car looks great man, I'll be doing the same eventually, except it'll be old style front end.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by spdracr View Post
    u need to do the one thing that i havent gotten to yet, take a heat gun and hit the bottom of the bumper where it bows down from it being folding, if u look at my signature and the last pic u posted u will notice it

looks nice otherwise

edit: now that i look at ray's signature i notice his is the same way too, is it suppose to hang like that ?? it bothers me everytime i looked at mine
    That worries me too but I would be able to fix that after the bumper is painted. I'll use some push tabs to clip them in place underneath there.

Thanks!
    "Mitsubishi Galant(e) for Life"

Tuned 2013 Evolution X GSR PB

-> Follow me on IG @blackblurr_x | 5-Speed | Check out my Build Here

Change of plans. I went to some paint shops the other day and all quoted me aroung $1200 - $1300 to paint the bumper and skirts. Damn that's a lot of money. I'm only expecting something around $700 - 800. Anyhow, I decided to get me hands dirty and diy the painting of these stuff. No matter how hard it is I know I can do this. I've started doing research on how to prep / sand / polish / paint. I'll be heading on local auto paint shop tomorrow to get supplies and tools..

autobody101.com

good luck
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

The tools..

I prep the bumper, grill, skirts today and used urethane body filler to repair some deep scratches. I wet sand after the filler dry until the surface is smooth. If the weather permits I'll start to paint primer and sand tom. Here are some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Galante View Post
    The tools..

I prep the bumper, grill, skirts today and used urethane body filler to repair some deep scratches. I wet sand after the filler dry until the surface is smooth. If the weather permits I'll start to paint primer and sand tom. Here are some pics.

Best of luck to you, let us know how it goes.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Thanks! I'm looking forward for a warmer weather tomorrow..

wow you have more balls than me, i gave up and trying to paint myself and took it to a shop haha, i hope it works out for you man.

also, my bumper hangs down too, i was gunna clip it up but im to lazy. haha
    edit: if you look really close on my sig you can see it on the passenger side.

^Right I can see that bby looking at your sig there. Don't be lazy and zip tie that or use a push tabs. lol ;)

Ok here the scoop for my ongoing project.. I was able to prime and sand the skirts/bumper/grille.. some pics

Here I sanded the bumper after 2 coats of primer.. And washed..

Here's the skirt ready for primer..

Also the fg egr visor came today and primed it..

Some new tools I bought for spraying the BC and CC..

Here's the BC paint (Sterling Silver)..

Here's how the things looks like after 2 layer of Base Coat..
    The FG EGR visor..

Grille..

Skirts/Grille..

The bumper..

I'll be applying the last coat of BC tomorrow and sand it with 1000 grit sand paper and apply the 3 layer of clear coats if weather permit..
    Last edited by Galante; 09-04-2008 at 07:43 PM

damn homie!!! good stuff!
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

Experienced TGC Member
    Did you have to order the paint, or did you get it from the dealer?
    And also the primer was done by can right?

Edit: Also the gun that you are spraying the paint with, was it decent, how much did you spend on it?

Edit Again: are you using a urethane base coat? and what type of clear?

As you can see from my sig I need to do some painting
    Last edited by WhiteGalant; 09-04-2008 at 09:22 PM
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

dude! NICE!!! looks very good, and i bet you got all the supplies for less than it would have costed to get everything painted at the shop, and you get to keep them!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    nice.

Experienced TGC Member
    We need a tutorial!!!
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteGalant View Post
    We need a tutorial!!!
    no shit, at the beginning i was like " OK, this guy is doing the jdm conversion, everything looking good but hell i wasnt expecting you paint it yourself, it looks perfect!

Very nice job dude, tutorial or ban! LOL, keep up the good work, can't wait to see finished pics.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Looks good dude.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    wow i was ready to say 2 days until painting, then i saw the painting lol

Hell yeah! I applaud you for grabbing your balls and stepping up to this challenge. The best way (and with the most pride) is to learn it and do it yourself. I don't know if and how much experience you have in this area, but it looks great so far! Im sure its a great feeling looking at it (especially when it will be done) and saying damn, I did that. Thats how I feel about my headlights and its the greatest feeling! Best of luck and I'm definatly looking forward to seeing the finished product!
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L 4G64 */* !!NEW!! 03 Honda CBR F4i
    * a little done -*- more to come *
    My Dual Halo H3 Projector Project

Thanks to all the positive feedback guys! I just happen to have free time doing this since I'm on vacation until Oct 3. Honestly this is my first time doing this auto painting project. It's kinda scary at first but just believe that you can do it. I started reading online diy auto paint job where I got the basic skills on how to prep/paint etc.. specially the tools.. I can write a tutorial later if that will be able to help you guys to do diy painting like what I did which really save me a fortune from having a shop do the job for me. And if everything will work fine it's very rewarding for myself. In total I have already spent $500 more less for the tools (HVLP spray gun 1.4m tip and 17 gallon compressor) and paint supplies. If you trust your self enough you can do it then you will. :smt082

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteGalant View Post
    Did you have to order the paint, or did you get it from the dealer?
    And also the primer was done by can right?

Edit: Also the gun that you are spraying the paint with, was it decent, how much did you spend on it?

Edit Again: are you using a urethane base coat? and what type of clear?

As you can see from my sig I need to do some painting
    Now to answer questions quoted, I have the base coat mixed from a local paint supply shop. I gave them the color trim of the car which is A68 for my G. The primer I used are on aerosol can (Urethane flexible primer).

The HVLP (High volume low pressure) spray gun was decent it comes with two guns one for primer which has 1.7m tip and other has 1.4m tip for BC and CC. It also comes w/ air regulator. It is decent but on sale for $55 retail was $125. You can get better spray guns than this but this is worth every penny. When you buy a gun get that one that you can remove the fluid needle. Otherwise you'll buy another set if it gets clogged by paint.

BC is urethane and the clear coat is Acrylic Urethane Clearcoat. Activator is needed to be mixed w/ the clearcoat to harden, mix at 4:1 ratio. :smt115
    Last edited by Galante; 09-05-2008 at 01:05 AM

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    pretty good work you make it look easy, how are you dealing with dust while it dries?

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast